Author Topic: Dragon Fruit thread.  (Read 952988 times)

Timbogrow

• Naples, FL 10b
    • View Profile
Re: Dragon Fruit thread.
« Reply #3225 on: July 09, 2021, 07:55:05 AM »
How much time does it add melting wax or rubbing oil into them? Aluminum is still the lightest weight post. Cheaper than redwood too by far! You could just use screws to fasten a wood top and have no rotting underground. You don't even need to weld anything if you don't know how.

FV Fruit Freak

• USA, Southern California, Fountain Valley, 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #3226 on: July 09, 2021, 10:41:33 AM »
The ratio of beeswax to oil is approx 1:3 but you really have to play around with your measurements to get the right consistency, you can always add more oil if it’s too hard/thick. If it’s too thick it won’t apply right, It will just sort of ball up and fall off. I use an old slow cooker to melt the wax.

Yes, it’s definitely time consuming to make the wax, I use steel post for my dragon fruit, I use this on my raised beds. I like your idea of aluminum, however I would worry about the strength...
Nate

John B

• USA, San Diego, CA, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #3227 on: July 10, 2021, 02:49:09 AM »
How much time does it add melting wax or rubbing oil into them? Aluminum is still the lightest weight post. Cheaper than redwood too by far! You could just use screws to fasten a wood top and have no rotting underground. You don't even need to weld anything if you don't know how.

As Nate mentioned, the oil is not for this post, or other posts, but good information for some planters I have. That aluminum post is great. My friend welds and gets good deals at the metal supply store, so I'll tell him about it (I gave him a few small plants).

As for me, I'm trying to go topless (the posts that is). But, even if I have to, I think that look just doesn't work in my residential backyard. Different strokes for different folks. But, I see the value for those who can accommodate that. A couple of my friends would certainly be interested. I'm not sure on the cost benefit, though. At least from a consumer and time perspective.

Would you mind showing a top view? I'm assuming you have a piece of aluminum on each side of the post that connects the top? What gauge aluminum you use?
« Last Edit: July 10, 2021, 02:53:52 AM by John B »

Timbogrow

• Naples, FL 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #3228 on: July 10, 2021, 09:35:06 AM »
Thanks, they are 7' posts with 5' above the ground on 7' centers. 2.5"x.125" wall square tube wrapped in the burlap and twine.  Roughly 70lbs of cement also. I sprayed truck bed liner an the embedded part of the post also. I plan on using some palm branches mitered on the top and wrapped in burlap for the air roots to grab hold also. It would be more effort and a different design to do a potted version and have a good idea for 1 but not made the prototype yet. Soon as I do I'll post some pics with some info.

RobPatterson

• Ontario, California
    • View Profile
« Reply #3229 on: July 10, 2021, 11:24:44 AM »
Another decent idea ive seen is to use steel chain link fence posts. Use either the previously mentioned spray on truck bed liner or roofing tar to coat the underground section, then however high you want your canopy, drill some thru holes in the post and slide rebar pieces through. you can then wire tie on more rebar tip to tip if you want to make a full square 'ring' instead of just support arms sticking out. Id recommend burlap up the post though, as that always seems to help plants develop in my experience.

FV Fruit Freak

• View Profile
« Reply #3230 on: July 11, 2021, 03:24:20 PM »
Does anyone know what pollinates Halleys Comet?
Nate

RobPatterson

• Ontario, California
    • View Profile
« Reply #3231 on: July 11, 2021, 06:14:09 PM »
Pretty much anything BUT Haleys Comet should be a sure thing pollinator. Even some cousin cactus will pollinate dragon fruit. I dont remember if HC is self fertile itself, so you might not even need a seperate pollen source, but you usual;ly have better fruit production using a second source.

John B

• View Profile
« Reply #3232 on: July 11, 2021, 07:56:26 PM »
Does anyone know what pollinates Halleys Comet?

Well, I'm 100% S8 will. When I had the HC variety, I used that pollen. S8 is great at pollinating them all.

John B

• View Profile
« Reply #3233 on: July 11, 2021, 08:03:33 PM »
Thanks, Timbogrow, for that information. When I first grew DF, I used a steel fence post in a large pot. I used rebar at the top in a cross formation that was covered with old hose, along with old 55 gallon drum top (the aluminum band). Worked great but looked like a post made in Vietnam. I must have a picture somewhere.

FV Fruit Freak

• View Profile
« Reply #3234 on: July 11, 2021, 08:34:57 PM »
Thank you John!! I just collected some S8 pollen last night 😎
Nate

Calreef18

• Escondido CA USA 10A
    • View Profile
« Reply #3235 on: July 11, 2021, 09:13:15 PM »
Has anybody started to get together a "bloom calendar" for varieties that overlap for cross-pollinating? My first year with multiple varieties blooming and feel like I might have some gaps for cross-pollination, am wondering if I just need more plants/size so that the blooms of different varieties have a longer cycle.

RobPatterson

• Ontario, California
    • View Profile
« Reply #3236 on: July 11, 2021, 10:15:01 PM »
I hate to make it sound like its the same answer every time, but the S8 Sugar Dragon variety blooms early, before almost anything else that ive seen, fruits alot in most reasonable climates, grows fast, sets cuttings solidly, and is one of the tastiest varieties out there. It produces a ton of pollen, is self fertile and with a good breeze to shake the plant, is usually self pollinating. The only issue with it is the size of the fruit, averaging the size of a goose's egg. Given the option, i would change out a few more of my more random plants with S8. I encourage everyone to grow at least a small plant of S8 to help support their collections or a few large plants for eating and cooking. I think of it as the 'naval orange or 'Haas avacado' of dragon fruits, a superior variety and a very great achievement for its creator, Paul Thomson.

Timbogrow

• Naples, FL 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #3237 on: July 13, 2021, 07:39:00 AM »
Thanks for the suggesting that to the community about the s8 variety. I'll will put some in when I add the next 6 posts to the garden...Finally, cosmic charley is pushing new growth. Was just about to rip it out and replace it. Weird enough though all the cuttings planted on the post without roots started growing new shoots quicker on the north side of the post.

OATIKO

• NorCal
    • View Profile
« Reply #3238 on: July 13, 2021, 04:14:42 PM »
Hello, I’m new to this awesome group! I was wondering if anyone is from the Bay Area, Ca who’s willing to trade or sell some cuttings. Or if you’re in SoCal I can schedule to make the trip down. I’m looking for the Edgar Valdivia’s Asunta series, Orejona Red, Makisupa, Red Jaina, Desert King, Ohana Express and Thompson G2. Maybe share the list you own. Thank you

John B

• View Profile
« Reply #3239 on: July 13, 2021, 06:44:42 PM »
I hate to make it sound like its the same answer every time, but the S8 Sugar Dragon variety blooms early, before almost anything else that ive seen, fruits alot in most reasonable climates, grows fast, sets cuttings solidly, and is one of the tastiest varieties out there. It produces a ton of pollen, is self fertile and with a good breeze to shake the plant, is usually self pollinating. The only issue with it is the size of the fruit, averaging the size of a goose's egg. Given the option, i would change out a few more of my more random plants with S8. I encourage everyone to grow at least a small plant of S8 to help support their collections or a few large plants for eating and cooking. I think of it as the 'naval orange or 'Haas avacado' of dragon fruits, a superior variety and a very great achievement for its creator, Paul Thomson.

Yes, you are absolutely correct. A big thanks has to go to Linda Nickerson & Gery Kesslau as well. They have a DF farm in Fallbrook and promoted the S8 when they were given that variety from Paul. They convinced me to take that one over the others they were growing when I first started growing DF. I'm sure they convinced many others as well...
« Last Edit: July 13, 2021, 06:47:06 PM by John B »

FV Fruit Freak

• View Profile
« Reply #3240 on: July 18, 2021, 06:51:18 PM »
Has anyone tried the “Zamarano” variety? What’s the flavor like? Is it worth growing? Thanks
Nate

FDFlorida

• Florida 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #3241 on: July 18, 2021, 07:47:14 PM »
Does anyone know how long pollen is viable for? I have a few DF varieties, but they rarely flower on the same night. I’ve had some success with self fertilization, but nearly 100% success with better tasting and larger fruit when I happen to be able to cross them. I’d like to be able to collect pollen when any flower so I can cross them more frequently. 

Rannman

• Dragonfruit collector
    • Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #3242 on: July 19, 2021, 04:05:15 AM »
Has anyone tried the “Zamarano” variety? What’s the flavor like? Is it worth growing? Thanks
Zamorano is one of my least favourite varieties. It has a weird flavour. ‘Peppery’ is the only way I can describe it. More savoury than sweet in my experience 🤷🏻‍♂️🤷🏻‍♂️

Farmerchris

• San Francisco, CA
    • View Profile
« Reply #3243 on: July 19, 2021, 03:16:41 PM »
Does anyone know how long pollen is viable for? I have a few DF varieties, but they rarely flower on the same night. I’ve had some success with self fertilization, but nearly 100% success with better tasting and larger fruit when I happen to be able to cross them. I’d like to be able to collect pollen when any flower so I can cross them more frequently.

I have one growing I think, I bought it as a Zamorano ... we'll see.  Here's a video on Zamorano tasting. ... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nDaoZ_6bDo8

RobPatterson

• Ontario, California
    • View Profile
« Reply #3244 on: July 20, 2021, 02:03:17 AM »

Pollen can be kept frozen for weeks if prepared properly. I have a mini-dehydrator that i use when i need to store pollen but the simplest way for someone doing it casually would be to use cheap coffee filters. Get a decent size bowl and hold it under a fresh flower, and give it a few vigorous shakes to dislodge the pollen. Dump the pollen into a coffee filter, use clean toothpicks to remove any debris, bugs or other things that might have come along for the ride, and then spread out the pollen as thin as youre able, so it can air dry without being in clumps. THe idea is you want to remove as much water as possible without adding external heat, so the pollen can be put into cold storage without ice crystals forming and damaging the structure. Then just fins an appropriate container, as small as possible with as little air space as possible, and pop it in the freezer. Cheap sandwich bags, where you can press or roll out the air before zipping the zipper, work well.

FV Fruit Freak

• View Profile
« Reply #3245 on: July 20, 2021, 03:44:27 AM »
Zamorano is one of my least favourite varieties. It has a weird flavour. ‘Peppery’ is the only way I can describe it. More savoury than sweet in my experience 🤷🏻‍♂️🤷🏻‍♂️

Thanks Rannman. I also read somewhere it taste like a beet, ughh...What’s your favorite variety then?
Nate

FV Fruit Freak

• View Profile
« Reply #3246 on: July 20, 2021, 03:53:19 AM »

I have one growing I think, I bought it as a Zamorano ... we'll see.  Here's a video on Zamorano tasting. ... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nDaoZ_6bDo8

Thanks Chris. After watching the video this is the third, and completely different, flavor report I’ve seen. So far I’ve heard it taste; like a beet, peppery, and like a watermelon! The lady in the video did say it tasted better than last years crop, so maybe it needs a couple years for the true flavor profile to come out?
Nate

FV Fruit Freak

• View Profile
« Reply #3247 on: July 20, 2021, 03:55:45 AM »

How many years have you fruited it? I saw in a video it may take a couple growing seasons before it taste good.
Nate

Rannman

• Dragonfruit collector
    • Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #3248 on: July 20, 2021, 11:36:01 PM »

Thanks Rannman. I also read somewhere it taste like a beet, ughh...What’s your favorite variety then?
Yeah, I would say it has an earthy, beet flavour. Been growing it for a few years now, and I can’t say that it gets better unfortunately 😕

Seanny

• Garden Grove, Orange County, California, 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #3249 on: July 22, 2021, 05:50:37 PM »

Cut DF
Expose 1/2” of center wood.
Soak in 1” of water.
Roots in 18 days.
No need to dry the cuts.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk