Author Topic: Need your help with few problems with small trees  (Read 4697 times)

Treees

• Palm Beach County, FL
    • View Profile
Need your help with few problems with small trees
« on: June 24, 2014, 08:32:21 PM »
To set context - the plants get plenty of water and sun, there is mulch around, and i fertilized couple of months ago.  Mangos and avocados, starfruit, sapodilla, dragonfruit, seem fine and happy.  But other plants seem sick.  Your advice would be much appreciated.

Strange coloring on Emperor Lychee leaves

Mamey leaves not happy

Hana Persimmon steps have strange white covering all over, and plan seems sick in general

Meiwa kumquat leaves taking strange sick form

Conadria Fig leaves rusting

Pomegranate just looks sick all over

Atemoya Lisa, previously happy, now has weak stems and rusty leaves

Jackfruit has lots of black ants and aphids

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
Re: Need your help with few problems with small trees
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2014, 08:45:19 PM »
Are those plants in the ground or in pots?

That looks like some serious infestation of green scale on yhat jackfruit.   I would definitely treat that, and not with just soapor any type of oil.
- Rob

TnTrobbie

• runs with pruners
  • ZonePusher has a spot for that.
    • 10b + 9b FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2014, 09:05:39 PM »
I've had repeat infestions of my cushman mango tree with those green, fleshy scale and what has worked wonders for me- repeatedly, with no deleterious effects to the tree (leaf and fruit) is Raid Ant and Roach. I'd guess any insecticide containing the synthetic chemical related to the pyrethrins should work. Your results may vary. Try at your own risk. Hort oils are a pain to work with and are not as effective. When its cool and on evenings, shake throughly and spray just enough to cover evenly the infested areas.
The Earth laughs in flowers. And bear gifts through fruits.
No where to plant it ...but at least I got it. ;)
F*ck squirrels and deers

zands

• mango_zango
    • Zone 10b, Florida, USA, 33321
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2014, 09:07:54 PM »
Green them up with Miracle Grow. Maybe an all purpose foliar would rescue. Can't hurt. Just a thought. A nitrogen deficiency maybe but bsbullie knows more than me.

mangomaniac2

• Phoenix, Arizona
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2014, 12:26:47 AM »
High PH water or chlorine burn has put these plants in nutrient deficiency status. Use RO water to thoroughly flush the soil and  start a regimen of micronutrients, both in ground and foliar feeding asap. If you have some sequestrene iron I would get on some foliar feeding with that in weak mixture.

murahilin

• Administrator
    • USA Greenacres, Florida Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2014, 09:34:24 PM »
Are those plants in the ground or in pots?

That looks like some serious infestation of green scale on yhat jackfruit.   I would definitely treat that, and not with just soapor any type of oil.

Why not soap? I had probably the same amount of scale on my jackfruit after I planted it and I only used soap and two weeks later, no more scale.

My barbados cherry was also covered in scale and aphids. Left it alone, two weeks later.. nothing there anymore.

starling1

• Queensland, Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2014, 09:38:23 PM »

The cumquat is quite clearly being destroyed by citrus leaf miner.

Treees

• Palm Beach County, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2014, 10:48:11 PM »
Thanks everybody for the advice !
Kumquat, fig, and jackfruit are in pots, the rest are inground. The water comes for a canal behind the backyard.
I will try soap water and miracle grow.
I googled citrus leaf miner and it does look like it.  Advise on forums seems to be just do nothing, which is easy enough.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2014, 10:52:19 PM by Treees »

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2014, 11:39:15 PM »
Despite what Sheehan, I treat all pests with soap and water man  :o, I would use something stronger.  I would also treat for that leaf miner. 

For youe trees in pots, what type of potting mix are you using?  What fertilizer are you using for both potted and in ground trees?  Can you post pictures of the trunks at ground level?
- Rob

Mark in Texas

• Fredericksburg Texas, (central TX), zone 8a
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 26, 2014, 07:43:44 AM »
Aphids will suck the life blood out of your plants in a hurry and can quickly kill a tree.  I'd also check for mites.

Have you done a lab analysis on that canal water?  Are neighbors using it with no problems?  What is the pH and what kind of soil do you have?

I also see a chlorosis problem which can be caused from insect pressure or micro deficiencies, or both.  If insects are sucking nutrients from the xylem, your plant suffers.

Lot's of things may be at play here including the serious leaf miner issue on the kumquat.  All of your insect pressures can be solved with a systemic application of imidocloprid, soil drench or foliar.  It is deemed safe and labeled for use on all consumables.  This is a cheap source, best I have found - http://www.ebay.com/itm/Adonis-75-WSP-Insecticide-Termiticide-4-x-2-25-oz-Water-Soluble-Packs-/251548472706?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3a91751582

If mites, blast them with water focusing under the leaves.   Do this at least 3 times 5 days apart.

You fertilized with what, how much, and how often?  Sick plants don't need much (or any) plant food.  They're in no condition to benefit from the salts unless it's a very light application.

Mark
« Last Edit: June 26, 2014, 08:12:28 AM by Mark in Texas »

Mark in Texas

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 26, 2014, 08:09:06 AM »

Why not soap? I had probably the same amount of scale on my jackfruit after I planted it and I only used soap and two weeks later, no more scale.

My barbados cherry was also covered in scale and aphids. Left it alone, two weeks later.. nothing there anymore.

Soap is fine if you don't get any phytotoxic problems.  Most like Safer's are fatty acids and it never fails, I get leaf scorch (burn).   Best do a test branch first and if there's no damage hit the whole tree.

Doglips

• Houston TX 9A
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 26, 2014, 10:43:39 AM »
Wow, it looks like you have a whole list of issues.

The lychee has white veins.  Appears to be starving.
Fig has rust and ....  Nothing you can do about the rust and doesn't seem to cause major damage.  The fig could probably needs a feeding too.
The Lisa looks like it just needs a balanced feeding.

The problem is that if you do have some other toxin happening it can mimic deficiency issues.

I'd hit everything with a balanced fertilizer with majors, minors and micros. Go easy, love kills.
You may have a pH issue that could be blocking the plants ability to take up nutrition as well.  You could vinegar your water when you fertilize, its a real short term solution (if it works).  Unless you are very acidic it probably won't hurt anything.
Obviosuly testing the water is the for sure way to know about pH issues.

sunworshiper

• Oviedo, FL (9b)
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 26, 2014, 01:00:38 PM »
I agree that the atemoya needs fertilizer. Mine is proving to be surprisingly hungry. After fertilizing it, the yellow leaves will never color up properly, but the next growth flush should come out the proper color.

The lychee looks like it has spider mites. Try wiping a white cloth on it, does it come away rust colored? If the tree is small and stressed, sometimes just manually wiping down leaves can knock back spider might enough for the tree to recover.

Citrus leaf miner is easily treated with spinosaid. Whether or not to treat depends on how stressed the tree is. You can just ignore minor cosmetic damage. But if the tree is unable to grow due to a severe infestation, then treat.

Ants farm scale and aphids so killing off the ants by sprinkling ant bait around will help without further stressing the trees.

Guanabanus

• SE Palm Beach County, East of I-95, Elevation 18'
    • USA, Florida, Boynton Beach, 33435, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 26, 2014, 09:10:04 PM »
Multiple nutrient deficiencies, probably including Calcium, Sulfur, and Magnesium.

Mites on Lychee and soft green scale on Jackfruits can be treated with Organocide 3-in-1, @ 2% v/v (5 Tblsp / gal), when weather conditions are slow drying--- the spray must stay wet long enough to smother the pests --- otherwise you haven't accomplished diddly, and in the hot sun you can burn leaves..   Repeat once about 5-7 days later.   Adding Neem Extract (Azadirachtin, not oil) can make the treatment's effect longer lasting.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2014, 06:02:39 PM by Guanabanus »
Har

Treees

• Palm Beach County, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 27, 2014, 11:05:39 PM »
Thanks again folks, now i have more to try.
Fertilizer i use is Vigoro Citrus&Avocado 6-4-6, plus tried Ironite couple of months ago for minerals.
Wiping  lychee leaf with cloth comes off rusty, confirming it is mites.
I will spray scales and aphids with soap water first and see what happens, and if this does nit help i will try other options suggested.
Ants are everywhere, different kinds, they farm those aphids and scales, and bait does not seem to help.  I will keep fighting.
Many thanks!

sunworshiper

• Oviedo, FL (9b)
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 28, 2014, 10:37:06 AM »
Good luck! Hard to combat all the pests sometimes, but keep at it and I'm sure you'll find a method that works for you. With the ants, you have to put out the right bait, some like sugar, and some like protein, and there are different baits accordingly. But yeah, ants are very hard to kill!

Mark in Texas

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 29, 2014, 08:24:05 AM »
Extinguish Plus is the best ant killer (bait) available.  I have a public ag biz, Texas has an epidemic of fire ants and it's all I'll use.

Saltcayman

• Zone 13b TCI
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 29, 2014, 01:46:07 PM »
For ants, I have sprayed spinosad around base of small trees with good results.

Guanabanus

• SE Palm Beach County, East of I-95, Elevation 18'
    • USA, Florida, Boynton Beach, 33435, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 29, 2014, 10:03:26 PM »
Soaps or oils do kill the ants which get soaked, but not the rest of the colony.
Har

frukt

• algarve portugal, zone 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 30, 2014, 02:06:53 AM »
I had a lot of problems with persimmons. some of them are growing very good but many just died after I planted them. The lady in the nursery claims that they dont like so much water and I think she is right. Maybe thats also a problem with your other plants, I think pomegranate are also sensitive to watering to much. It should be some major problem, if its not a nematode problem in your ground then its must be something you are doing wrong.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk