Author Topic: Tlanoxtle -Lycianthes moziniana  (Read 1091 times)

BrizzyFizzy

• Australia, QLD, Brisbane
    • View Profile
Tlanoxtle -Lycianthes moziniana
« on: April 12, 2021, 03:59:34 PM »
Hi all! - is anyone growing Tlanoxtle (Lycianthes moziniana)? I have 8 of em in pots and they have barely put out more than two leaves for over a year now. The roots appear strong and if any die off they seem to shoot back but they stall at Less the.2cm. Anyone with any experience in this department?

Forester

• Zone 4 Russia
    • View Profile
Re: Tlanoxtle -Lycianthes moziniana
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2021, 05:16:57 PM »
Last year, it bloomed constantly, but there was no fruit. I only have one plant and maybe the reason is.

In the summer I plant it in the ground in a greenhouse, and then it begins to gain weight well and quickly and a lot of foliage, in winter I have to transplant it into a pot and all winter it looks very weak, although the root is powerful and healthy.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2021, 05:26:55 PM by Forester »
❀ Sergey ❀

BrizzyFizzy

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2021, 06:03:15 PM »
Thanks Forester. Yours looks better than mine. I can't seem to get them past the seedling stage...

New_Jungle

• USA, Hi,Hilo, 12b
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2021, 06:37:17 PM »
I’ve been trying but they seem to struggle with me. I don’t know if it’s the heat or what.
The best time to plant a fruit tree was 20 years ago. The next best time to plant one is now.
Follow me on Instagram: newjunglehawaii

BrizzyFizzy

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2021, 07:42:24 PM »
As small as mine are even after a year I am repotting them in a different mix to see if this makes a difference.  It might be the heat.  We get 30-40C here in the summer.  Though I thought I looked at the climate of their region in Mexico and I remember thinking it would be suitable at the time.  Maybe they are more alpine than I originally thought.

New_Jungle

• USA, Hi,Hilo, 12b
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2021, 10:46:34 PM »
As small as mine are even after a year I am repotting them in a different mix to see if this makes a difference.  It might be the heat.  We get 30-40C here in the summer.  Though I thought I looked at the climate of their region in Mexico and I remember thinking it would be suitable at the time.  Maybe they are more alpine than I originally thought.

I thought I read it came from a higher elevation but I could be wrong. Hopefully we figure it out and get some fruit!

The best time to plant a fruit tree was 20 years ago. The next best time to plant one is now.
Follow me on Instagram: newjunglehawaii

Forester

• Zone 4 Russia
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2021, 03:21:04 AM »
In summer, in my greenhouse, the temperature sometimes reaches + 40C and I constantly have to turn on the air conditioner. Possible due to the high temperature, the pollen turned out to be sterile and therefore there are no fruits on my plants. This summer I will be planting it outdoors without shelter, perhaps it will be more successful.
❀ Sergey ❀

BrizzyFizzy

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2021, 06:46:33 AM »
One thing I did notice was that the shoots died in full sun. When I moved the pots back to dappled shade under a large chilli bush they resprouted. This doesn't look like the case in their native scrubland but they seem to like breaks from Aussie sun at least.

Forester

• Zone 4 Russia
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2021, 09:13:37 AM »
One thing I did notice was that the shoots died in full sun. When I moved the pots back to dappled shade under a large chilli bush they resprouted. This doesn't look like the case in their native scrubland but they seem to like breaks from Aussie sun at least.
I will definitely take this into account, I think to plant it in the summer in the shade of a large apple tree.
❀ Sergey ❀

Forester

• Zone 4 Russia
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 22, 2021, 01:49:23 AM »
This year it blooms again.

❀ Sergey ❀