Author Topic: Rain barrel and city water  (Read 3738 times)

Robdallek

• USA FL Fort Myers 10a
    • View Profile
Rain barrel and city water
« on: May 04, 2016, 08:09:54 AM »
So I am seeing salt deposit and possibly chlorine effects on the leaves of my potted tropicals and want to switch over to a rain barrel system.  I have read several posts on letting city water sit for at least 24 hrs which will dissipate the chlorine. In lieu of nice steady rains to keep it full, can I use city water to refill the barrel as needed if the water sits for the time period described?  Any other concerns to think about?

gunnar429

• Nothing like fruit from your own yard!
    • West Park, FL 33023, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
Re: Rain barrel and city water
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2016, 09:16:11 AM »
So I am seeing salt deposit and possibly chlorine effects on the leaves of my potted tropicals and want to switch over to a rain barrel system.  I have read several posts on letting city water sit for at least 24 hrs which will dissipate the chlorine. In lieu of nice steady rains to keep it full, can I use city water to refill the barrel as needed if the water sits for the time period described?  Any other concerns to think about?

If your goal is to remove the additives from the city water, then adding that same city water to the rain barrel seems unwise.  Sure, some chlorine will evaporate, but you will be mixing pure rain water with city water that already caused issues with your plants.  Just be patient, when the rains come (in a few weeks), you will have plenty of water in the barrel.  Another option would be to get a good filter for your hose...that way you could have natural rain water and supplement whenever you need to with filtered water.
~Jeff

"Say you just can't live that negative way, if you know what I mean. Make way for the positive day." - Positive Vibration

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2016, 09:35:17 AM »

Have the City water tested so you know exactly what you are dealing with.  Also, your potting mix and fertilizer can play a role also...
- Rob

ricshaw

• USA, Southern California, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
    • ricshaw805 YouTube Channel
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2016, 11:05:02 AM »

That only works on city water treated with chlorine. Most big cities now use chloramines, which is more stable, to treat water. It is simple to break the chloramine bond with sodium thiosulfate which will remove the chlorine, and leave ammonia as the left over.  :)

fyliu

• Burbank/Covina, CA 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2016, 07:43:37 PM »
What's sodium thiosulfate? Sounds familiar.
I was told that fish farmers use vitamin C tablets to remove chloramine. That's ascorbic acid I think.

gnappi

• South East Florida (U.S.A) Zone 10A
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2016, 08:58:47 PM »
You should have a pretty shallow water table, why not have a well pounded?

Between using well water for your lawn and trees your city water bills dropping will make it worth it.
Regards,

Gary

Robdallek

• USA FL Fort Myers 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2016, 09:09:58 PM »
What type of filter would be effective?   Thanks for all the replies---today's rains will be helpful as well. 

zands

• mango_zango
    • Zone 10b, Florida, USA, 33321
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2016, 10:19:48 PM »
Anyone who wants one or two plastic rain barrels for a fair price...you can PM me. They belong to a neighbor.
Barrels are in Broward County Florida

zands

• mango_zango
    • Zone 10b, Florida, USA, 33321
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2016, 10:30:28 PM »
What type of filter would be effective?   Thanks for all the replies---today's rains will be helpful as well.

The city water chlorine will have a better chance of dissipating into the atmosphere if you can put the city water in a kiddie pool for a few days. Hot weather will drive it out quicker.

Basic activated carbon filters will absorb out chlorine but attached to a garden hose will reach their absorption limit fairly quickly. Maybe you can find one that is refillable. Meaning you buy the carbon filtration media in bulk and don't have to keep buying filters.

ricshaw

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 04, 2016, 10:37:38 PM »
What's sodium thiosulfate? Sounds familiar.
I was told that fish farmers use vitamin C tablets to remove chloramine. That's ascorbic acid I think.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sodium_thiosulfate

Sodium thiosulfate is the main ingredient in Declor used to remove chlorine and chloramine from tap water used in aquariums and fish ponds.

Sodium thiosulfate is much cheaper than Vitamin C.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2016, 10:41:33 PM by ricshaw »

Doglips

• Houston TX 9A
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 05, 2016, 09:11:48 AM »
A good filter will remove chloramines as well other "who-knows-what-stuff".

ricshaw

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 05, 2016, 11:01:37 AM »
A good filter will remove chloramines as well other "who-knows-what-stuff".

Sodium thiosulfate scares you?

Doglips

• Houston TX 9A
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 05, 2016, 11:11:53 AM »
I was referencing anything else that could be in the water.

ricshaw

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 05, 2016, 11:20:31 AM »

Gotcha, I am more concerned about water I drink than tap water for my plants. So a water filter for potted large plants seems excessive to me.

skhan

• United States, Florida, Coral Springs, 10b
    • View Profile
    • Videos of Garden
« Reply #14 on: May 05, 2016, 11:27:30 AM »

Gotcha, I am more concerned about water I drink than tap water for my plants. So a water filter for potted large plants seems excessive to me.

How do you use sodium thiosulfate, i assume fill barrel with tap and apply dosage. Is there an inline hose solution?

ricshaw

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 05, 2016, 12:13:22 PM »
How do you use sodium thiosulfate, i assume fill barrel with tap and apply dosage. Is there an inline hose solution?

I have Koi ponds. I use sodium thiosulfate to remove chloramines during water changes. I buy sodium thiosulfate crystals cheap by the pound (eBay, amazon). One ounce of sodium thiosulfate crystals treats 1000 gallons of chloramine treated tap water. I just toss the sodium thiosulfate crystals into the pond when adding new tap water (200 - 600 gallons at a time).

ricshaw

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 05, 2016, 03:52:40 PM »
Is there an inline hose solution?

Yes, buy a carbon cartridge water filter at a big box store and put pipe thread to hose adapter fittings on it.
Attach carbon cartridge water filter to hose bib and garden hose to carbon cartridge water filter.  :)

Doglips

• Houston TX 9A
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 06, 2016, 06:15:37 AM »
there is a pricier inline solution,  or you could mount one next to the hose bib with "Y", then you could have a filtered hose and an unfiltered.  More expensive to start but cheaper over time, $5-7 a cartridge a year, if that.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk