Author Topic: Grafting pear onto apple ??  (Read 2681 times)

Plantinyum

• Bulgaria , near Sofia city , planting zone 7
    • View Profile
Grafting pear onto apple ??
« on: December 09, 2020, 02:41:37 AM »
Has anyone attempted to graft pear onto apple? I red some on this matter and it seems u need a specific interstock for the graft to strike. I also found that quince is also compatible with apple and pear, for this I have living example of a large fruited pear ,grafted onto a quince.
Now the thing is I have a apple tree on which I would like if possible to add a pear variety or two...the pears I am thinking of grafting are varieties not clear to me . As general the information states that for such grafting u need specific varieties for both the rootstock and the graft. What are your recommendations , thanks in advance !!

shiro

• France La Rochelle
    • View Profile
Re: Grafting pear onto apple ??
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2020, 08:10:09 PM »
From my experience I grafted pear trees on apple trees and I obtained a good vigour the first year and it died the second year.
On the other hand I have already succeeded in grafting apple and pear trees on medlar (as a specific interstock).
I also know that the ( cydolus rudenkova ) can be used to obtain apple and pear on the same tree if it is used as specific interstock.

Plantinyum

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2020, 05:04:54 AM »
From my experience I grafted pear trees on apple trees and I obtained a good vigour the first year and it died the second year.
On the other hand I have already succeeded in grafting apple and pear trees on medlar (as a specific interstock).
I also know that the ( cydolus rudenkova ) can be used to obtain apple and pear on the same tree if it is used as specific interstock.
thanks for your reply. Can u explain do u use the medlar as a intertstock on say apple and then graft the pear onto it,? Or u just grafted both onto a medlar rootstock ?
I am wondering if this can be made in one shot, like graft the pear onto the medlar interstock and then the medlar onto the apple ...I just want to skip the one year waiting between the two grafting processes.
Also the successful  ones, for how long are they growing for u ?
« Last Edit: December 11, 2020, 05:07:59 AM by Plantinyum »

SoCal2warm

• zone 10 and zone 8a
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2020, 02:28:11 PM »
If you want to attempt a graft like this, it's probably better to select two varieties that have a more similar rate of growth to each other.

For example, possibly a slower growing variety of apple. It is believed one of the reasons for delayed graft failure is differing rates of growth.

Also, some varieties may be more compatible than other varieties. 'Winter Banana' apple is one such variety.

shiro

• France La Rochelle
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2020, 02:41:21 PM »
The medlar is grafted on hawthorn (crataegus monogyna) and then I grafted pear and apple.
See this link: https://www.greffer.net/discussion/viewtopic.php?t=7013

The cydolus is also a good candidate.
See this link: https://www.greffer.net/discussion/viewtopic.php?p=67612#p67612

For the moment I don't have enough hindsight to say if this graft is viable for a very long time.

SoCal2warm If we were worried about late failure we would not use dwarf rootstock for apple trees.
I also think that this may have something to do with the rootstock root system. Or even a seedling of dwarf rootstock will have a better life span than a cutting with a more superficial root system.
Also (crataegus monogyna) is very resistant to various conditions and soil types which makes this rootstock interesting for me.

But you're right, some varieties will be more compatible than others.

Plantinyum

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2020, 03:49:47 PM »
I have alot of branches to graft on the tree I am considering to graft ,so I will make different combinations and see what works. I am now considering of adding one or two apple varieties also, and a branch or two of pure medlar . I imagine it as a frankentree ,will be quite interesting .
I am still not sure if a can graft both the desired plant variety and the interstock at the same time, say pear - medlar -apple like in the same day ,dunno If I explained it clear enough ☺☺😀
As for the varieties ,all of the plants I will be taking the grafts from are unknown varieties to me, so I guess in a way this will be mostly an experimentation . The thing is I already have the apple tree of unknown variety , and if I will use the apple variety winter banana as interstock I would have to buy a plant just for the experiment, but I may do just that if thats the best chance of having pear grafted onto apple .

shiro

• France La Rochelle
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2020, 04:07:16 PM »
1 Of course you can graft all 3 at the same time.

This is how we graft some varieties of pear not compatible with the quince tree by grafting at the same time the interstock (ex doyenne du comice or buttered hardy).

If you need scionwood I have some I can send you (winter banana or medlar).
I've already sent to Bulgaria without any problem except that it's a bit slow to arrive according to the contact I have there.
Also I had a problem during a second shipment (not arrived at destination) in spring, but I think the problems of covid19 are the cause.
Now the post office works normally.

2 Why do you want to do this combination of grafting a pear on an apple by the way?

Plantinyum

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2020, 02:15:31 AM »
1 Of course you can graft all 3 at the same time.

This is how we graft some varieties of pear not compatible with the quince tree by grafting at the same time the interstock (ex doyenne du comice or buttered hardy).

If you need scionwood I have some I can send you (winter banana or medlar).
I've already sent to Bulgaria without any problem except that it's a bit slow to arrive according to the contact I have there.
Also I had a problem during a second shipment (not arrived at destination) in spring, but I think the problems of covid19 are the cause.
Now the post office works normally.

2 Why do you want to do this combination of grafting a pear on an apple by the way?
thanks very much for the offer of cuttings, I may need just the winter banana cuttings since I know alot of medlar trees around. I will pay u for the cuttings and shipment of course .
I just want to graft a non desirable 5-6 year old apple tree , and remembered that have heard apples and pears are compatible.I really expected to just graft them straight , did not expected the process to be as complicated . I really want that wow factor in my garden , imagine an apple tree with say 4 types of apples, pear and medlar , I love experimenting ☺😅also my yard is getting crowded and I dont have space for any new trees and that is also a reason ...
« Last Edit: December 12, 2020, 02:22:16 AM by Plantinyum »

shiro

• France La Rochelle
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2020, 01:07:51 PM »
I sent you a PM for the details

riri04270

• france/haute-provence/estoublon
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2021, 02:48:02 AM »