Author Topic: Fish frames as fertilizer  (Read 1323 times)

Gone tropo

• Durian obsessed
    • Nth Qld Australia, zone 13a
    • View Profile
Fish frames as fertilizer
« on: May 05, 2021, 09:39:05 PM »
I go fishing a lot and have lots of fish frames that i throw in the rubbish would these be off good use to put around my fruit trees or is it too strong for the plants to handle?

If it is a good idea for fertilizer would it be better to bury them around the trees? Leaving them on the surface will probably attract pigs etc

Oolie

• San Diego
    • View Profile
Re: Fish frames as fertilizer
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2021, 10:06:23 PM »
By frames I assume we are speaking in regards to the skeletons.

The bones are an excellent source of calcium and nitrogen (connective tissue) there are other nutrients present, but quantities vary.

If the fish are from the ocean it is important to first remove the saltwater from the fish with a freshwater rinse as Chloride doesn't benefit the plants.

Adding directly is not recommended due to the decomp time, and the smells associated with the process.

You could grind up the bits and add them to a bucket of water with an aerator stone at the bottom. 4 parts fish  to one part molasses is a good ratio to provide the micronutrients to help accelerate decomp.

If you don't eat the heads, I'd recommend giving it a try. The best meat on the fish is in that area.

AlexE

• Atherton, Nth Queensland, australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2021, 11:31:55 PM »
Absolutely, there's a few ways to use them. We own two fish and chip shops up here on the tablelands just up the hill from you, so I have access to a lot of fish waste.  We have a couple of people that come and collect it as well, from talking to them they simply dig a hole and bury it around the trees. In our climate they break down in a couple of weeks into beautiful compost/fertiliser that the fruit trees can access. A few people also place it under the tree and cover with about a foot of mulch, there  no smell as long as it adequately covered.
My preferred method for using them is to ferment them with a microbial product called em1 and a bit of molasses for a couple of weeks, There is no smell at all that way thanks to the em1 and it makes a product that can be used in a watering can etc for thing in pots and seedling.  As to the salt on them it really is a non issue unless your watering with salt water, you get more chloride etc from conventional fertilisers.

Gone tropo

• Durian obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2021, 12:07:35 AM »
thanks for the responses looks like this is a good idea, i dont think i will bother with making mixes of anything too lazy for that but burying them around the trees or under mulch sounds like a plan. 

My only other question is I suppose you have to be careful digging holes around the trees to make sure the tree roots are not damaged.  Im specifically thinking of doing this around durian, mangosteen, pulasan and rambutan trees.  Im pretty sure with durian the root system doesnt go outside the drip zone but not so sure on the others.  Maybe just burying them on top of the surface under mulch would be a better option.

Mike T

• Zone 12a
  • Cairns,Nth Qld, Australia
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2021, 01:57:48 AM »
Its an old thing to do as well as a cow liver under the fruit tree and passionfruit vine. It really seems to work.The old trick of digging a compost hole and then planting over it also works. I did it with a wild pig carcass. Being an old sea dog myself there are many buried skeletons in my yard which weren
t used for crab pot bait. Even the cast netted fish the ducks rejected have been used. Don't be tempted to drop whole coral trout, red emperor and nannies in the holes. Mother-in-law fish and sharks yes.
There are plenty of slow release macros and micros in them.

Gone tropo

• Durian obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2021, 02:26:19 AM »
Only 3 weeks ago mike we got 4 Spanish Mack from 8-13kg, 11 trout and and few mixed reefies and I threw them all away and now kicking myself. This gives me more incentive to get out there and fill my yard with fish skeletons lol.

Mike T

• Zone 12a
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2021, 03:15:47 AM »
On those glassy days you can always have a crack at the south westerly drop offs on reefs and get big jacks and loads of trout. Used to really enjoy leaving in the afternoon, grabbing trout and big macs and then sweetlip,red emperor spanglies and nannies at night and a few pelagics and more trout before shooting back in the morning.Mowbray to Snapper is a fish disneyland even 10 clicks out.

Gone tropo

• Durian obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2021, 05:30:37 AM »
Mike your speaking my language I actually spearfish and grew up spearing snapper island and inside reefs in my 12ft tinny during school before ever having a boat licence or car we used to tow the boat to the beach with ride on mower hahaha.

These days we head north often as far up as escape reef for day trips and do overnighters and weekenders up to hope islands and go out to the ribbons for day trips from there it’s just sensational up there. We live in a good part of the world that’s for sure.

Mike T

• Zone 12a
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2021, 06:32:01 AM »
Snapper used to be good to take the tinnie out of the daintree for an over nighter. I think there are a few crabs around hope. I saw a big tiger at the ribbons and it spooked me. I bet you go out the front of the mowbray at night when the barra and crabs are in the shallows as well.

Oolie

• San Diego
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2021, 01:30:04 AM »
I'm so jealous of the variety of delicious fish you have access to. We have some good ones, but the ones you're talking about are nice prizes.

Mike T

• Zone 12a
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 07, 2021, 06:34:06 AM »
So take your skeletons from the closet and drop them in a hole where you will plant a tree. Sadly I don't go fishing much any more but some chums who are champion spearfisherman Dan, Jack and Az make sure I am not without seafood too often. Look up Back to Basics on youtube for some of Az's antics.
I digress but the fruit loving lads have been known to drop off crustacean portions as well. Here is one from my freezer right now.

They also had some crabs in the campfire here but crustacean shells have many nutrients that are needed by your trees and it slow release.

Thankfully I got a slice of the action from this recent day trip of theirs. It is good that people don't exceed bag limits as well by the way. I say don't waste resources for your trees if you know the spot where you will plant a tree in future. Just dig a deep hole and throw in more than fish scraps.

Mike T

• Zone 12a
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 07, 2021, 06:35:27 AM »

Here are mud crabs in the campfire.

ofdsurfer

• Melbourne Beach FL 32951 10A
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 07, 2021, 08:36:56 AM »
Looks great Mike!  Even your lobster look cooler than what we have here.