Author Topic: Whats the "biggest" mango  (Read 793 times)

SplorKeLZ

• mmmm Cherimoya
    • Seattle WA zone 9a, 13a mini greenhouse
    • View Profile
Whats the "biggest" mango
« on: March 20, 2024, 07:27:42 PM »
 i am wondering what mango variety/cultivar produces the biggest fruit, or if there are multiple, than the best tasting of those. also if anyone has any other mango recommendations that would be nice.

gnappi

• South East Florida (U.S.A) Zone 10A
    • View Profile
Re: Whats the "biggest" mango
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2024, 12:11:49 AM »
The biggest I know of is the LANCETILLA. I've had some go 4+ pounds and I've heard of larger.
Regards,

Gary

Epicatt2

• Fruit forest in progress . . .
    • Tampa, FL / Zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2024, 02:49:38 AM »
I saw some mangoes while visiting Belize in '81 in Belize City on a sidestreet where a curbside vendor had several in a boxtop off a beer carton. They looked to be close to three quarters the size of footballs, so I had to stop and ask about them.

I asked the ladies selling them what they were but they didn't know a name for them other than mango.  I told them that we never see mangoes for sale in Tampa that are anywhere near so big as theirs and the ladies said that these weren't all that big cuz it was the end of the season there for mangoes.

Nonetheless, those were the largest mangoes that I have ever seen.

Paul M.
==

Mike T

• Zone 12a
  • Cairns,Nth Qld, Australia
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2024, 05:27:39 AM »
A few can crack the 2kg mark like Keitt, R2E2 and rabaul but these are very occasional fruit.

Galatians522

• Florida 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2024, 05:56:34 AM »
Springfels are massive. There was a mango talk that I went to years ago and the guy who gave the talk had one on his display table that I first thought was a papaya from a distance. I think one of the pineapple series mangos from Zill is a seedling of Springfels and is also quite large. Lara Farms has a mango they say is quite large.

Jaboticaba45

• Check out TN Tropical Fruits!
  • Tropical Fruit Tree Connoisseur
    • Chattanooga TN 7b
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2024, 07:41:18 AM »
Cabeza...I believe is the one Lara farms selected.
I was able to try it, and it was very good.
like a Kent, but twice or three times the size.

bovine421

• Shake Rag Rd Fl 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2024, 09:14:30 AM »
A few can crack the 2kg mark like Keitt, R2E2 and rabaul but these are very occasional fruit.
Bowen Mango in Queensland
Tete Nene Julie Juliet Carrie Ice Cream Coconut Cream Little Gem  Dot  Mallika PPK  OS  Pina Colada Cotton Candy Buxton Spice Karen Michelle M-4 Beverly Marc Anthony White Pirie Lychee Cherilata Plantain Barbados Cherry

Mike T

• Zone 12a
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2024, 09:22:24 AM »
Bowens I have heard of occasional outsized ones but they average smaller. 2kg might be a stretch still. There is also a late hong kong one and the real name escapes me but golden queen is sometimes applied.

johnb51

• USA Deerfield Beach, FL Zone 11a
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2024, 11:36:27 AM »
Providence, which is the offspring of Kent and is 2 to 3 times the size, is an incredibly delicious mango--similar to Kent but with an acidic kick.  Unfortunately, in this area it's highly susceptible to MBBS.
John

bovine421

• Shake Rag Rd Fl 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2024, 01:17:03 PM »
Bowens I have heard of occasional outsized ones but they average smaller. 2kg might be a stretch still. There is also a late hong kong one and the real name escapes me but golden queen is sometimes applied.
Seriously Mike I don't think there's one bigger than the one in Queensland.
Of the big mango varieties I like Valencia Pride ripens evenly disease resistant a heavy producer
« Last Edit: March 21, 2024, 03:31:57 PM by bovine421 »
Tete Nene Julie Juliet Carrie Ice Cream Coconut Cream Little Gem  Dot  Mallika PPK  OS  Pina Colada Cotton Candy Buxton Spice Karen Michelle M-4 Beverly Marc Anthony White Pirie Lychee Cherilata Plantain Barbados Cherry

Greater Good

• Coral Gables, Florida Zone 11A
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 21, 2024, 03:27:34 PM »
Cat Saigon aka Golden Queen - Keitt x Ivory variety

pineislander

• Bokeelia, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 21, 2024, 04:46:02 PM »
Springfels are massive. There was a mango talk that I went to years ago and the guy who gave the talk had one on his display table that I first thought was a papaya from a distance. I think one of the pineapple series mangos from Zill is a seedling of Springfels and is also quite large. Lara Farms has a mango they say is quite large.

I agree about Springfels. I have two trees

drymifolia

• Seattle 9a/sunset zone 5
    • View Profile
    • the drymifolia collective
« Reply #12 on: March 21, 2024, 05:44:38 PM »
I don't know about biggest and not sure what variety this is (if it is grafted), but my brother lives in an old Haitian neighborhood in Ft. Lauderdale area and there's a very old tree that I suspect is seed-grown in his back yard and the fruit are pretty big! This one they sent me was a bit over 3lb and is pretty typical of the fruit from the tree, which occasionally get close to 4lb but usually 2.5 to 3.5 lb. Second photo is slightly overripe, I was expecting more of a color change but they ripen mostly green with just a hint of yellow. Very thin seed, basically no fiber. I'm curious how this compares to some other big ones.

I did grow the seed, but it was mono. I'm debating trying it as a greenhouse tree grafted with the mother if I ever decide it's worth the added heating costs to keep it warm enough for a mango to be happy in there.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2024, 05:54:32 PM by drymifolia »

SplorKeLZ

• mmmm Cherimoya
    • Seattle WA zone 9a, 13a mini greenhouse
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 21, 2024, 06:57:29 PM »
Thanks! Maybe once my other magos are big enough it will be time for some grafting…

Mike T

• Zone 12a
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 22, 2024, 06:38:35 AM »
Funny I posted a pic on the big mango on an old thread but was talking about KPs.

bovine421

• Shake Rag Rd Fl 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 22, 2024, 08:41:29 AM »
Funny I posted a pic on the big mango on an old thread but was talking about KPs.
Always enjoyed your Aussie humor I can honestly say that Australia has the biggest mango by far🤣

Future

• The Future
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 24, 2024, 02:42:51 PM »
Cat Saigon aka Golden Queen - Keitt x Ivory variety

This is the first I’ve heard of cat Saigon being synonymous with golden queen. For sure GQ is big. But lancetilla and VP and probably the true size kings. But, GQ is among the few big mangoes that pack a flavor worthy of Future’s top 50 mangoes. The best of the relatively big ones is easily Pineapple Pleasure.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk