Author Topic: Anyone growing pineapples IN GROUND for Southern California? Results?  (Read 3796 times)

FV Fruit Freak

• USA, Southern California, Fountain Valley, 10B
    • View Profile
I know it’s not advisable, and it’s better to grow them in pots here in Southern California, but, has anyone tried growing pineapple in the ground? And what are/were your results? Thanks.
Nate

alangr088

• Los Angeles, Zone 10B Sunset 22
    • View Profile
Re: Anyone growing pineapples IN GROUND for Southern California? Results?
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2020, 03:42:09 PM »
Why is it not advisable? I have some Kauai Sugarloafs that I am getting ready to put into the ground in a week or so.

spaugh

• San Diego County California
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2020, 04:12:21 PM »
Pineapple plants don't like being wet and cold at the same time.  IE california winters.  So if you keep them in a pot, you can not only use a more well draining soil but you can also move them under a patio cover or indoors when it's raining and freezing out.  Just my 2 cents, in CA it will be best to keep in a pot for those reasons.  And if you really want them to do well, put them in a greenhouse or indoors under a grow lamp during winter. 
Brad Spaugh

BoBiscuit

• Ventura, CA 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2020, 08:05:51 PM »
I've fruited sugarloaf in the ground in SoCal. The plants have grown very slowly and look a bit chlorotic, but the fruit is very good. I think they would be happier with a lower soil pH than what I've given them.

zands

• mango_zango
    • Zone 10b, Florida, USA, 33321
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2020, 08:29:25 AM »
Just do it and find out. I have successfully grown 2 pineapples from the tops of supermarket pineapples. Amazingly sweet with nearly zero acidic because I let it ripen on the plant to its peak. It took 2 years so plant now. Dedicated pineapple enthusiasts can find a  sympathetic produce man at the market who will give you some pineapple tops.  This has to be from a market that cuts them up on the premises and puts out cut up pineapple chunks in plastic containers for their customers.
Or just buy 2 pineapples. The pineapple tops are strong and pretty much fool proof to nurture along

Those 2 pineapple plants are still in the ground that have only grown larger, about 50% larger than when they gave me pineapples. I hope to get another crop. Am I wasting my time?
« Last Edit: February 07, 2020, 08:33:34 AM by zands »

rliou

• Cerritos, Los Angeles,CA, sunset zone 22, USDA 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2020, 02:29:29 PM »
I have done it in cerritos.  Pineapple in ground for me was fairly slow growing.  From a small plug that i got to fruiting it took about 3 years.  They do seem to prefer well drained soil
Robert

simon_grow

• USA, San Diego, CA, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2020, 09:59:38 PM »
A friend of mine is growing Pineapples in the ground in the foothills of Escondido. He has a small patch about 3-4 feet wide by about 5-6 feet long IIRC. The plants were very healthy with several pineapples scattered around and it was low maintenance.

It appeared that he let them grow, the plants would topple over and root in place and then continue growing and fruiting.

Simon

gnappi

• South East Florida (U.S.A) Zone 10A
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2020, 11:36:30 PM »
Just do it and find out. I have successfully grown 2 pineapples from the tops of supermarket pineapples. Amazingly sweet with nearly zero acidic because I let it ripen on the plant to its peak. It took 2 years so plant now. Dedicated pineapple enthusiasts can find a  sympathetic produce man at the market who will give you some pineapple tops.  This has to be from a market that cuts them up on the premises and puts out cut up pineapple chunks in plastic containers for their customers.
Or just buy 2 pineapples. The pineapple tops are strong and pretty much fool proof to nurture along

Those 2 pineapple plants are still in the ground that have only grown larger, about 50% larger than when they gave me pineapples. I hope to get another crop. Am I wasting my time?

I read that the big pineapple growers like Dole push the label stem through the heart of the greenery on pineapples which supposedly keeps the plant top from growing.

I wondered why some of my tops never took and started to examine the leaves for labeling defects where the plastic attachment does not pierce the entire top before buying them and now have 100% success growing tops.

Regards,

Gary

spaugh

• San Diego County California
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2020, 11:54:43 PM »
You can usually look into the crown and see if its been drilled or not.  Or tug on the center leaves and see if they are loose.
Brad Spaugh

FV Fruit Freak

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2020, 01:58:51 PM »
Thank you all for your reply’s and advice. It’s motivating to hear there’s folks out there who have had some success growing pineapples in the ground here in SOUTHERN CALIFORNIA. I’ve decided to attempt a small plot in the ground with white jades, sugarloafs, and all the tops I have rooted from grocery stores over the past couple years, the one in the picture below that’s fruiting was from a Dole grocery store pineapple I planted about 2-3 years ago.

This wasn’t meant to be a thread on propagation techniques, or pineapples grown anywhere but in So Cal, directly into the  ground, but thank you “zands” for your input.

If anyone would like advice on how to properly root a top from a supermarket, feel free to send me a PM, the picture on the bottom are all tops grown from grocery store pineapples, mostly Dole. Cheers.

White jades and sugarloafs

Rooted tops from grocery stores

« Last Edit: February 22, 2020, 04:00:47 AM by FV Fruit Freak »
Nate

gnappi

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2020, 10:07:10 PM »
Thank you all for your reply’s and advice. It’s motivating to hear there’s folks out there who have had some success growing pineapples in the ground here in SOUTHERN CALIFORNIA. I’ve decided to attempt a small plot in the ground with white jades, sugarloafs, and all the tops I have rooted from grocery stores over the past couple years, the one in the picture below that’s fruiting was from a Dole grocery store pineapple I planted about 2-3 years ago.

This wasn’t meant to be a thread on propagation techniques, or pineapples grown anywhere but in So Cal, directly into the  ground, but thank you “zands” for your input.

If anyone would like advice on how to properly root a top from a supermarket, feel free to send me a PM, the picture on the bottom are all tops grown from grocery store pineapples, mostly Dole. Cheers.

>>SNIP<<

You don't have to get snippy We read your "SOUTHERN CALI" REQUEST, BUT IN THE REAL WORLD, things get sidetracked. Handle it a bit better. Or go to the Cali growers association forum, oh I forgot there isn't one is there? :-)

See others can be dickheads too. Chill out we're trying to help the COMMUNITY too. Oh, I second the "Just do it recommendation"
« Last Edit: February 08, 2020, 10:10:29 PM by gnappi »
Regards,

Gary

FV Fruit Freak

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 08, 2020, 11:42:30 PM »

>>SNIP<<

You don't have to get snippy We read your "SOUTHERN CALI" REQUEST, BUT IN THE REAL WORLD, things get sidetracked. Handle it a bit better. Or go to the Cali growers association forum, oh I forgot there isn't one is there? :-)

See others can be dickheads too. Chill out we're trying to help the COMMUNITY too. Oh, I second the "Just do it recommendation"

Sounds like you had a bad day bud...I really wasn’t trying to be snippy at all as I said thanks to Zands for his reply, and I meant that. I just didn’t want this thread to turn into a propagation thread as I have no interest in that, or how people are growing them in the ground in places other than Southern California. Is it not allowed to ask state specific questions on this forum? Because there may be people on this forum that aren’t on the “Cali growers association forum”, as you suggested. Thanks, and I hope you have a great night. Oh, and raising 2 kids under the age of 3 while being the sole caregiver of my WWll Veteran Grandfather who’s in his 90’s and in diapers, is about as “real world” as it gets...
« Last Edit: February 09, 2020, 04:39:31 AM by FV Fruit Freak »
Nate

gnappi

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 09, 2020, 06:33:13 AM »
Sounds like you had a bad day bud...I really wasn’t trying to be snippy at all as I said thanks to Zands for his reply, and I meant that. I just didn’t want this thread to turn into a propagation thread as I have no interest in that, or how people are growing them in the ground in places other than Southern California. Is it not allowed to ask state specific questions on this forum? Because there may be people on this forum that aren’t on the “Cali growers association forum”, as you suggested. Thanks, and I hope you have a great night. Oh, and raising 2 kids under the age of 3 while being the sole caregiver of my WWll Veteran Grandfather who’s in his 90’s and in diapers, is about as “real world” as it gets...

No I didn't have a bad day and you can ask for anything specific you want, sorry for your troubles. The fact is, threads on every subject on the planet from A to Z gets sidetracked, handle it.
Regards,

Gary

FV Fruit Freak

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 09, 2020, 12:12:21 PM »
I've fruited sugarloaf in the ground in SoCal. The plants have grown very slowly and look a bit chlorotic, but the fruit is very good. I think they would be happier with a lower soil pH than what I've given them.

Thanks so much for the info BoBiscut and welcome to the forum! Congrats on your tasty in ground pineapples! What type of fertilizer do you use on them and what’s your soil like? Mine is very clay-ish. I had a memeber advise me he’s had good success with his pineapples that are heavily mulched and NOT in direct sun, which I found interesting as I would think they would do better in full sun. Thanks.
Nate

FV Fruit Freak

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 09, 2020, 12:16:36 PM »
I have done it in cerritos.  Pineapple in ground for me was fairly slow growing.  From a small plug that i got to fruiting it took about 3 years.  They do seem to prefer well drained soil

How was the fruit? Did you fertilize or kinda just let them do their thing? You’re right, they definitely like well drained soil. I was thinking maybe a raised bed made with cinderblocks would work well because you’d get drainage as well as heat from the cinderblocks. Thanks for your help.
Nate

gnappi

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 10, 2020, 11:11:13 PM »
Nate, personal (PM) attacks get you nowhere, and I will continue to read and reply to any thread I see fit. Buck up and handle it.
Regards,

Gary

FV Fruit Freak

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 11, 2020, 12:53:34 PM »
Gary, calling someone you’ve never met a “dickhead” for absolutely no reason other than you misinterpiting their wording by thinking they were sounding “snippy” when they weren’t, seems pretty personal to me, and will get you nowhere...you should have just buckled up, handled it, and kept YOUR thoughts to yourself..YOU started this, now let’s drop it and go back to what really matters on here which is tropical fruit growing. Pretty sure no one on this forum wants to hear you and I go back and forth with this BS. Sorry if I hurt your feelings, time to move on...I hope you have great success in your garden. Peace.
Nate

gnappi

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 11, 2020, 03:58:09 PM »
Gary, calling someone you’ve never met a “dickhead” for absolutely no reason other than you misinterpiting their wording by thinking they were sounding “snippy” when they weren’t, seems pretty personal to me, and will get you nowhere...you should have just buckled up, handled it, and kept YOUR thoughts to yourself..YOU started this, now let’s drop it and go back to what really matters on here which is tropical fruit growing. Pretty sure no one on this forum wants to hear you and I go back and forth with this BS. Sorry if I hurt your feelings, time to move on...I hope you have great success in your garden. Peace.

Nope, no hurt feelings but you can't take someone stepping on your parade.

I'll continue to challenge such childish behavior. I dare you to challenge someone like you did in a PM in person, you won't because you thrive on the anonymity and safety of the web. Maybe the real Nate Dogg had some nerve, you don't. 
Regards,

Gary

FV Fruit Freak

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 11, 2020, 04:21:43 PM »

I'll continue to challenge such childish behavior. I dare you to challenge someone like you did in a PM in person, you won't because you thrive on the anonymity and safety of the web. Maybe the real Nate Dogg had some nerve, you don't.

Blah, blah, blah...
Nate

gnappi

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 11, 2020, 04:43:07 PM »

Blah, blah, blah...

Yup once a puss always a puss. In person Dogg
Regards,

Gary

FV Fruit Freak

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 11, 2020, 04:48:08 PM »

Blah, blah, blah...

Yup once a puss always a puss. In person Dogg

Blah, blah, blah...
Nate

roblack

• Miami, FL 11A
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 11, 2020, 05:22:51 PM »
ya'll should share info and text e/o...

As for pineapples, I happened to move 10 potted plants the other day. One of them was stuck to the ground, as the roots had gone through the pot and were securely attached to the ground. Of all the pineapples, this was the only one that was fruiting.

Bush2Beach

• Santa Cruz, California Sunset Zone 17
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 13, 2020, 01:04:53 PM »
In person tropical fruit throwdowns.
I have never heard of such a thing. I could be down depending on how much fruit is to be eaten or variety available?
Noone has time to post a meme these days ?
Wow, the internet has really gone downhill.
 I have seen people expressing their winter doldrums and lack of any better plant works to do in this way.
Plant some seeds snappy gnappy , fighting is childish, that wouldn’t solve any questions pineapple related or otherwise.

TheWaterbug

• Palos Verdes, CA, Sunset 23/USDA 11a, Elev. 783'
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 14, 2020, 01:39:25 AM »
I've tried them in-ground here in Los Angeles, and they just don't grow very well. At least not in my soil. The ones I've put in pots just do so much better. I also like the look of a well-tended, potted pineapple plant.
Sunset 23/USDA 11a, Elev. 783', Frost free since 8,000 BC. Plagued by squirrels, gophers, and peafowl, but coming to terms with it!