Author Topic: Miracle fruit tree - still alive?  (Read 5608 times)

Looper

• Chicago
    • View Profile
Miracle fruit tree - still alive?
« on: April 30, 2017, 02:41:43 PM »
Hi everyone!

First time poster here.

I've had this miracle fruit plant for about a year now. When I got it, it had dark green leaves and appeared very healthy until about 2-3 months ago.

I originally plabted in a very acidic soil combination as recommended with these plants. I went on vacation for a week in February, and when I came back the leaves started browning and withering beyond the point of no return.

They eventually went very brittle to the point they snapped right off with a little pressure.

I have heard that these are slow to grow and slow to die, but I was hoping someone could diagnose this one way or another based off the photos.

Additionally, there are these newly appearing "buds" on the stalks and limbs. Are these signs of life, or something else? Bugs perhaps?

If it helps - I'm in chicago but kept it inside all winter, with intermittent spritzed with filtered water to remove chlorine.

Thanks!

TropicalFruitHunters

• USA, Columbus, OH, xxxxx Zone 5b
    • View Profile
    • Tropical Fruit Hunters
Re: Miracle fruit tree - still alive?
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2017, 02:53:03 PM »
Looks like scale to me.  Squash a couple and see if any moisture underneath.  If so, scale.  Scratch the bark with a fingernail.  If green appears, then the plant has a chance...I would put it under plastic to boost the humidity levels and hope that it recovers.

FRUITBOXHERO

• Coral Springs Fl
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2017, 06:53:38 PM »
 It would be a miracle if it survived
Joe

561MangoFanatic

• Loxahatchee, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2017, 07:00:01 PM »
It would be a miracle if it survived

Agree unfortunately
Sergio

TropicalFruitHunters

• USA, Columbus, OH, xxxxx Zone 5b
    • View Profile
    • Tropical Fruit Hunters
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2017, 07:29:58 PM »
I still have my original plant and it too nearly bit the dust.  Got to a really nice size and produced hundreds of berries.  One year, it started dying back bit by bit to the point where there was nothing left but 8 inches of trunk.  No branches.  No leaves.  My wife kept saying "It's dead".  But it was still green beneath the bark.  Stayed that way for nearly 2 years.  Then one day it started coming out of its funk.  Not quite as large a canopy as before but still very nice.  So unless it is dead dead for sure, don't give up!

Looper

• Chicago
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2017, 07:49:03 PM »
Thanks for the input everyone!

I scraped one of those brown lumps off, and it was almost hollow-like. Crispy, fell right off, didn't seem like anything other than a tree-blister of sorts.

Not sure. Should I worry about them being bugs and hatching little critters all over my apartment? If so, I would rather just scrap it and toss it.

What do you guys think?

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2017, 07:58:39 PM »
Jay - a bit of a differences growing in a greenhouse.

I think growing it in the apartment may be the problem.  A lot of factors could be/have been contributing to the problem...lack of humidity, heat/AC, insufficient light (ghey prefer shade but not indoors), pot its grown in (are there drain holes), how much water its getting, pest control in the apartment just to name some factors off the top of my head.

One thing people should realize when growing tropical/sub-tropical fruit trees in cold zones/indoors is that ghese are trees that want to be grown outside.  Without a greenhouse,  it is almost a losing battle to grow them inside if a house or apartment.
- Rob

WaterFowler

• Coachella Valley
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2017, 12:44:34 AM »
I still have my original plant and it too nearly bit the dust.  Got to a really nice size and produced hundreds of berries.  One year, it started dying back bit by bit to the point where there was nothing left but 8 inches of trunk.  No branches.  No leaves.  My wife kept saying "It's dead".  But it was still green beneath the bark.  Stayed that way for nearly 2 years.  Then one day it started coming out of its funk.  Not quite as large a canopy as before but still very nice.  So unless it is dead dead for sure, don't give up!

2 years? Maybe I shouldn't have given up on mine. I had a small miracle fruit tree shipped to me. Looked in great shape when it arrived. I quickly transplanted it. It stayed in the same condition for 3 months. But during the next 3 months the leaves became powdery, then shriveled up and died. It was still bright green beneath the bark though. I continued to water it occasionally for the next 6 months. It remained a leafless but was still green beneath the bark the entire time. I finally grew frustrated and pulled it from the soil and placed the roots in a container of water for a month. No change, no growth, still green beneath bark. So I tossed it.

Maybe I should have given it another year.  ;D

Viking Guy

• AKME Gardens
    • USA, AL, Silverhill, 8B
    • View Profile
    • AKME Gardens Website
« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2017, 11:36:16 AM »
Sounds like something changed in your soil conditions along with other "environmental" factors above.  This is generally a sign of shock in the roots, and possibly some rot.

You may need to make a more neutral, well draining mixture and start it fresh in new soil while it recovers.

Jct

• Zone 10b
    • San Diego
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 01, 2017, 03:15:53 PM »
Jay - a bit of a differences growing in a greenhouse.

I think growing it in the apartment may be the problem.  A lot of factors could be/have been contributing to the problem...lack of humidity, heat/AC, insufficient light (ghey prefer shade but not indoors), pot its grown in (are there drain holes), how much water its getting, pest control in the apartment just to name some factors off the top of my head.

One thing people should realize when growing tropical/sub-tropical fruit trees in cold zones/indoors is that ghese are trees that want to be grown outside.  Without a greenhouse,  it is almost a losing battle to grow them inside if a house or apartment.

I bought a miracle fruit tree last spring and it did pretty well, producing a decent amount of berries. I did have to provide some shade cloth as the bright afternoon sun was crisping some of the leaves.  As winter rolled around, I brought it inside when the evening temps started to drop below 60 degrees. It sat next to a west facing window and did pretty well, producing lots of blooms. I'm not sure how many of these have taken, I'll have to wait and see how many fruit I get this time. It's still a bit too chilly for it in the evening, probably in another few weeks I can start the slow migration back to it's original spot on the patio.

A question for Looper, how cold did your place get while you were gone?  Did you turn your heat off?  This may be what killed it.
LaVerne Manila Mango; Pixie Crunch, Honeycrisp & Gala Apple Trees; Violette De Bordeaux & Black Mission Fig; Santa Rosa Plum & Snow Queen Nectarine; Nagami Kumquat, Pixie Tangerine, Lemon, Australian Finger Lime & Washington Navel Citrus; White & Red Dragon Fruit; Miracle Berry Plant

Mr. Clean

• FLMangos.com
    • US, FL, West Palm Beach, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
    • Florida's Finest Mangos
« Reply #10 on: May 02, 2017, 02:07:32 AM »
I went on vacation for a week in February, and when I came back the leaves started browning and withering beyond the point of no return.

People from Florida are thinking of Florida problems, rather than Chicago issues during the winter...

Did you turn off heat while on vacation to save money?  Then put the tree by the window, so the tree could get extra cold?  Did the soil dry out while you were on vacation?  Was the tree too close to the heat vent?
www.FLMangos.com

110+ fruit trees/plants; 60+ mango trees; 9 jackfruit; 6 avocado; 3 persimmon; longan; and a dog that keeps raccoons and squirrels away.

LivingParadise

• Florida Keys, Zone 11a
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 02, 2017, 12:09:50 PM »

I've had multiple experiences like this too - if it still has green, it's not dead. I have had plants that I gave up on and forgot about, leaving them to fend for themselves, and then a year and a half or two later to my surprise find they're suddenly sprouting up from the roots or making new leaves! All is not lost until there's no life left inside the plant. They want with all their being to SURVIVE, so they will keep trying.

I had a lot of experience growing, and even fruiting, plants indoors. Get some pure Neem oil and spray regularly to keep indoor pests like scale, mites, aphids etc. at bay. It smells gross indoors, but it's natural and not harmful - it actually has health properties that benefit humans too. Scale is not going to multiply and end up all over your apartment - the ones you picked off were probably crispy because they were already dead. But it's not normal for your plant to have them on the trunk - that's a pest, not part of the plant. It is very possible that the plant is suffering from several problems at the same time. It's hard to tell from your post, but if the plant started showing problems after you moved it to new soil, then it probably was suffering from some transplant shock. You have to be really careful to preserve the roots and not rip them when you move the plant, and sometimes the change of soil - even if it's better soil - can shock the plant from the change. Also, it's highly likely you don't have enough light for the plant, if you are not giving it a special lamp. Any time you see that a tropical plant likes being grown in shade, that usually means in partial or full sun for colder climates, unless you have a full greenhouse setup. Your miracle plant looks like it's in the shade in a cold climate house, so that's not going to be enough sun. If it's a South-facing window, that will help, but it would do better with a lamp added. Even a full-spectrum bulb from a normal lamp will help plants indoors.

Aside from the scales, I think the other issue you probably have is temperature. You left the house in the winter. So, either you cranked the heat up to help the plant - and made it too hot (I killed a lemon tree I loved like it was a family member by accident when I lived in NY, by placing it too close to a radiator I didn't realize was faulty and got too hot), or you turned the heat down because you were away and it got too cold for the plant. They really don't like temps below 60F. It's right near the window, and with the draft it will feel to the plant easily like close to or below that, especially if the heat is lowered. So it might have lost all its leaves, but then they might grow back if there is still green under the bark. Plus, you might have a had a problem with watering and humidity. Maybe when you were gone it got too dry. People in cold climates and with indoor plants tend to overcompensate by overwatering, which can rot the roots but then the air is also too dry. So that could also be a possibility if you watered a lot before you left and it was sitting in wet soil without enough drainage. I'll bet you anything the air in your home was extremely dry when you were away - so that means the plant had to deal with desert-like air, and miracle fruit wants HUMIDITY. Keeping a bag over part of the plant to help keep some of the humidity and warmth in will probably help it a lot in future, as long as you make sure the container it's in has great drainage at the bottom so it never sits in water to rot or get moldy. You might have also had a problem of poor oxygen-to-carbon dioxide ratio in the air while you were away.

I believe growing these plants successfully indoors IS possible - consider for instance the huge illegal pot industry, so much of which was grown indoors in people's closets and whatnot. You don't actually need a greenhouse if you can't afford one. But using some plastic wrap to help with humidity, some Neem oil to prevent pests, and also using aluminum foil wrapped along the backside of the container facing the window so that light is reflected upward to more of the plant so it doesn't have a dark side, can make growing plants indoors a lot easier and more successful. Then you just have to work out issues of how to keep the soil in the right amount of moisture, and how to keep the temp preferable for the plant but not the rest of your house. Many people find using string white holiday lights wrapped around the plant and the container for the roots makes them happy. Adding a lamp will help too - but usually they prefer SOME hours a day of rest - at least 6.

Growing indoors is a different skill from growing outdoors. It takes different equipment, and to some extent, different know-how. But if you get it down and have the time, it can actually be easier than growing outside, because you have a lot more control and can make different conditions for each plant.

You have two different things going on there - you have scale, and you have buds which may be growing at the ends (can't tell in the picture, but if they're growing and the plant is green underneath, you're all good). You have to brush all the scale off - use a toothbrush with soapy water, and then spray with Neem thereafter.

If you can't save this one, you'll learn for the future. Indoor growing of tropicals takes a lot of patience, and you have to expect some losses in order to learn and build up your knowledge. You'll be even more successful if during the summers you can drag the plant out for some fresh air and partial sun.

A partial list of what I grew inside without a greenhouse: Watermelon, Honeydew, Strawberries, Soybean/Edamame, Amaranth, Lemon, Lime, Okinawan Spinach, Thai chili peppers, Blueberries, Tomatoes, Mangosteen for 2 years, etc. etc....

« Last Edit: May 02, 2017, 12:11:27 PM by LivingParadise »

Donsout

• Toronto
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 28, 2021, 09:16:06 AM »
Ooo, I think that it will live forever if you take care of it correctly! I mean, trees and other plants are not as other living creatures, well, that’s kind of obvious. What is not obvious is the fact that they also die, the only difference being the fact that those are already dead if you are not paying attention. I was recently scrolling a website Bakersfield tree service and I have to be honest here, even though I have a lot of trees and plants home, I have no idea how to maintain those natural beauties. If you are in my shoes right now, this place is exactly what you are looking for!
« Last Edit: July 30, 2021, 06:39:48 AM by Donsout »