Author Topic: Redlands White Sapote trees possibly grow bigger than other white sapotes?  (Read 4556 times)

snowjunky

• USA, Arizona, Phoenix, 9a/9b
    • View Profile
My Redlands is very vigorous has huge leaves twice the size of all my California white sapote varieties.
Which makes me wonder if the tree is also much bigger than other varieties. 
If so then I have to reconsider it's location.

Squam256

• Mangos, trees and budwood for sale
    • USA, West Palm Beach, FL, 33405, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
    • https://www.facebook.com/TropicalAcresFarms
Re: Redlands White Sapote trees possibly grow bigger than other white sapotes?
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2020, 10:30:24 AM »
Used to have Redland, Younghans and Suebelle, and Redland was definitely the most vigorous.

bradflorida

• Osprey, FL. Zone 10A.
    • View Profile
Hi Squam

I noticed you said “used to”.  Did none of the white sapote varieties impress you?  Which was the best of the varieties that you have tasted?
Brad

JoeP450

• Mahaha Chinook
    • Palm City FL
    • View Profile

Interesting info, I just planted a Redlands and suebelle in the the same hole because I’m out of room in my yard. Will see how this goes, right now the suebelle is almost twice as big as Redlands but from the reports above it probably won’t be for much longer.

-joe

LycheeLust

• I need the seedless lychee
    • Los Angeles, 10A
    • View Profile
I planted Redlands in a pot 2 months ago

CarolinaZone

• USA,NC,7B
    • View Profile
I have a redlands that I got from Greenlife by Shamus O'leary in a pot along with a Vernon from Home Depot and a Younghans (it was labeled "young hands" purchased at Pokey's ), a subelle from Excalibur(plus two more from Excalibur USDA and SES???) and a seedling suppossedly from subelle that I purchased from Clausen. The all seem to be slow growers. The Vernon has tried to fruit.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2021, 08:53:58 PM by CarolinaZone »

LycheeLust

• Los Angeles, 10A
    • View Profile
Are you growing it in a greenhouse? You’re in North Carolina?

sc4001992

• USA, CA, Fullerton
    • View Profile
I have Redlands and others grafted on the same tree. My multi-grafted white sapote tree has 28 varieties now thanks to all of the forum members here.

On my tree here's the varieties that seem to grow much faster/vigorous than the others:
1. Walton
2. Santa Cruz
3. Super Sweet
4. Bonita Springs
5. Redlands

So I agree that Redlands does grow more vigorously than some of the others. This graft is only 9 months old and doing good. It may be more vigorous than the first 4 on this list but the graft is not old enough to compare it yet. But it does seem to grow faster than others grafted at the same time.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2021, 08:09:08 AM by sc4001992 »

Johnny Redland

• Redland FL
    • View Profile
Redland has been moderate for me. The real all star for growth is Rainbow.  I don't know how people could legitimately keep that tree under 20ft

CarolinaZone

• USA,NC,7B
    • View Profile
Are you growing it in a greenhouse? You’re in North Carolina?
Unheated greenhouse. I have kept them watered but not heavily because I was scared of fungus. I fertilized twice last year with some citrus fertilizer i got from Pokey's.

CarolinaZone

• USA,NC,7B
    • View Profile
I have Redlands and others grafted on the same tree. My multi-grafted white sapote tree has 28 varieties now thanks to all of the forum members here.

On my tree here's the varieties that seem to grow much faster/vigorous than the others:
1. Walton
2. Santa Cruz
3. Super Sweet
4. Bonita Springs
5. Redlands

So I agree the Redlands does grow more vigorous than some of the others. This graft is only 9 months old and doing good. It may be more vigorous than the first 4 on this list but the graft is not old enough to compare it yet. But it does seem to grow faster than others grafted at the same time.
I was wondering if your "Super sweet" is actually a Younghan's?

LycheeLust

• Los Angeles, 10A
    • View Profile

1. Walton
2. Santa Cruz
3. Super Sweet
4. Bonita Springs
5. Redlands

So I agree the Redlands does grow more vigorous than some of the others. This graft is only 9 months old and doing good. It may be more vigorous than the first 4 on this list but the graft is not old enough to compare it yet. But it does seem to grow faster than others grafted at the same time.

Do you have a favorite variety yet?

achetadomestica

• FLORIDA 9b
    • View Profile

1. Walton
2. Santa Cruz
3. Super Sweet
4. Bonita Springs
5. Redlands

I was wondering if your "Super sweet" is actually a Younghan's?

I was told the Super Sweet is the same as Bonita Springs. I have a Super Sweet and
I recently got a Youghan's gold last year and they seem very different. The youghans is more vigorous
for me and much darker green leaves.

sc4001992

• USA, CA, Fullerton
    • View Profile
"I was wondering if your "Super sweet" is actually a Younghan's? "

No its not a Younghan's, it's a Supersweet that I purchased scions from Mike (above). But as some people say, the Supersweet and Bonita Springs do grow similar (vigorous) and the leaves/branches look almost identical. When I get fruits on these branches I should be able to compare the fruits taste to determine if its the same variety. I purchased my Bonita Springs from Oldsurfer who has a large tree.

I also have grafted Youghan's Gold (from Mike) and for me here in CA, it grows slow, skinny branches but I did get small fruits on it. The branches were still too small to get the fruits growing to full size.

I do not have a favorite yet since I have not had full size fruits on any of my grafted varieties. Right now I have fruits on Nettie and Cuccio (both from Jonah). The only white sapote fruit that I tasted fresh from the tree is the McDill (very good flavor) and the yellow (wooly leaf) sapote (also taste good). I only started growing my white sapote because the McDill tastes so good about 5 yrs ago. All my trees in ground are from the seeds of these two fruits I ate. Both the McDill and Wooly leaf sapote were  correct varieties, it was at the Fullerton Arboretum and they have signs posted on each tree.

Around here in SoCal I hear from JF and others that the following are very good tasting varieties:
- Fairhaven (seedling of Suebelle, brix =30)
- Malibu
- Sunset
- Santa Cruz
- C. Tetrameria #6 & #7
-Robert's Rainbow
I have all of these grafted but no fruits yet.

Jack, Nipomo

• San Luis Obispo County, CA zone 9b
    • View Profile
2 Malibu out there, # 1 and #3

WaterFowler

• Coachella Valley
    • View Profile
Redland has been moderate for me. The real all star for growth is Rainbow.  I don't know how people could legitimately keep that tree under 20ft

You probably bought the "Rainbow" local being in Florida but out of curiosity where did you buy it? I prefer it being vigorous as I'm planting it on a ranch so space isn't an issue, I've read that rainbow tastes very good too. I've looked around and haven't seen it for sale on the internet. I can buy Vernon and Suebelle at my local Home Depot for cheap.

I have a Vernon that's doing ok. It's 4 years old and about 7 feet tall. It produced a few fruits last year but this years crop looks heavier if I let them all hold. My Suebelle has been has been a disappointment. I had it out in more sun but it just couldn't take our brutal summers so I moved it into a heavily shaded area but it's not thriving there either. Our alkaline soil probably doesn't help much either. So I'm looking for other varieties to experiment with.

They say white sapote grows just like citrus but citrus does fantastic out here even with our heat and soil(minus satsuma mandarin). I've seen big trees out in Phoenix so I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong out here.

sc4001992

• USA, CA, Fullerton
    • View Profile
Yes, I got my scions from Jack, both Malibu #1 & #3 are growing well. Thank you.

Johnny Redland

• Redland FL
    • View Profile

You probably bought the "Rainbow" local being in Florida but out of curiosity where did you buy it? I prefer it being vigorous as I'm planting it on a ranch so space isn't an issue, I've read that rainbow tastes very good too. I've looked around and haven't seen it for sale on the internet. I can buy Vernon and Suebelle at my local Home Depot for cheap.

I solicited scions from California and grafted it onto a seedling tree. I grafted it last june and I've already had to cut it back twice. Imagine that!

Matti.Laith

• Peoria
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 31, 2023, 11:42:06 AM »
What tree is your rootstock for this marvel?

1. Walton
2. Santa Cruz
3. Super Sweet
4. Bonita Springs
5. Redlands

So I agree that Redlands does grow more vigorously than some of the others. This graft is only 9 months old and doing good. It may be more vigorous than the first 4 on this list but the graft is not old enough to compare it yet. But it does seem to grow faster than others grafted at the same time.

sc4001992

• USA, CA, Fullerton
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 31, 2023, 01:06:08 PM »
Matti, I mentioned it above but maybe it wasn't clear. I ate both the McDill and yellow sapote fruits from the Fullerton Arboretum for the first time. Then I needed to get some more fruits so I could grow the seedlings. I planted about 3 seeds from each fruits of McDill and yellow sapote (had no name on the label) and after 5 yrs the trees were large enough to graft onto the 34 varities of white sapote on the largest seedling tree. I eventually had to remove the big seedling tree and it died when I transpanted it so now I'm down to 25 varieties on my two smaller seedling trees.

sc4001992

• USA, CA, Fullerton
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 31, 2023, 01:27:14 PM »
Update, now that is has been a few years since this post was active, I can give you some updates on my white sapote fruits.

I have now tasted the following fruits:
1. McDill
2. Yellow Sapote (from Arboretum)
3. Younghan's Gold
4. Super sweet
5. Cuccio
6. Suebelle
7. Vernon

My favorite so far on this list is from best to worst.
1. Younghan's Gold
2.  McDill
3. Cuccio
4. Vernon
5. Super Sweet

I have the following flowers/fruits on my grafts this year, so I hope to add to the list of fruits I tasted this year.
1. Clytia (from Jack)
2. Younghan's Gold
3. Super Sweet
4. Vernon
5. Butterscotch (AJ)
6. Bonita Springs
7. Vernon
8. Nettie
9. Mary Lane (ML)
10. Yellow Sapote seedling (Arboretum)

SaltwaterTx

• Gulf Coast Tx 9a
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 31, 2023, 01:37:21 PM »
Has anyone tasted Campbells from Lara? Curious to where it falls on heirarchy

Matti.Laith

• Peoria
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 23, 2023, 11:39:57 AM »
Matti, I mentioned it above but maybe it wasn't clear. I ate both the McDill and yellow sapote fruits from the Fullerton Arboretum for the first time. Then I needed to get some more fruits so I could grow the seedlings. I planted about 3 seeds from each fruits of McDill and yellow sapote (had no name on the label) and after 5 yrs the trees were large enough to graft onto the 34 varities of white sapote on the largest seedling tree. I eventually had to remove the big seedling tree and it died when I transpanted it so now I'm down to 25 varieties on my two smaller seedling trees.

That's an amazing accomplishment. I can't imagine trying to keep that many varieties properly pruned on one tree.
Have you ever attempted a white sapote espalier? I'd imagine managing so many varieties would be simpler on one but then again I'm not sure how well a White Sapote would fruit on an espalier.

Matti.Laith

• Peoria
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 23, 2023, 11:41:47 AM »
Has anyone tasted Campbells from Lara? Curious to where it falls on heirarchy

I just got myself one a few weeks ago but I'm in the same boat. There really isn't any information on it yet other than the video Lara farms posted.
Maybe we'll need to be the first to review it in the next couple of years  :(

Jack, Nipomo

• San Luis Obispo County, CA zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 24, 2023, 02:10:21 PM »
Yellow Sapote (Casimiroa tetrameria) is thought to be part of the genetics of Suebelle (fuzzy underside of leaves) and Suebell is as a result smaller than the typical White Sapote (Casimiroa edulis).  My Pike is a giant and I can't reach around the trunk with both arms.  Unbelieveable amount of fruit is produced.  The Yellow sapote on their own roots are sized much smaller.  These trees are well over 20 years of age.  Interestingly, grafting a white sapote (like my giant Pike) on a yellow sapote rootstock causes extreme dwarfing and a tree about six ft tall, producing normal sized fruit.  No delayed incompatibility so far in over 20 years.  I have 4 dwarfed white sapotes on yellow rootstock, some 4 ft tall, some 7ft tall after more than 20 years. .  A much younger person needs to experiment with a varied interstock of yellow sapote on white sapote to regulate ultimate size of the tree.  As an aside, a friend dried some white sapote fruit (sliced) and it was exellent, described as the flavor of "gummy worms". 

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk