Author Topic: Arvores-Brasileiras-Lorenzi-  (Read 4902 times)

sanitarium

• Slovakia, zone 7a
    • View Profile
« Last Edit: February 27, 2014, 05:11:46 AM by sanitarium »
Daniel

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
Re: Arvores-Brasileiras-Lorenzi-
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2014, 05:30:38 AM »
All 3 of those books are available in an english version, but only in hard copy. BTW my guess is that those links you give in Portuguese are a pirated version.
Oscar

sanitarium

• Slovakia, zone 7a
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2014, 05:34:05 AM »
All 3 of those books are available in an english version, but only in hard copy. BTW my guess is that those links you give in Portuguese are a pirated version.

not sure if it was pirated, I just found it and let some people that cannot affort the book to read it. I own the english version of all 3 volumes and those portugese versions were useless for me as I cant speak portugese:)

P.S. probably it was pirated as now it is removed..
Daniel

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2014, 11:05:12 PM »

not sure if it was pirated, I just found it and let some people that cannot affort the book to read it. I own the english version of all 3 volumes and those portugese versions were useless for me as I cant speak portugese:)

P.S. probably it was pirated as now it is removed..

Yes that was pirated version. I informed the author, who threatened them legally and was promptly removed.
Oscar

huertasurbanas

• Junín, Argentina, zone 9b/9a
    • View Profile
    • huertasurbanas
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2014, 02:00:28 PM »
I understand the hard work of Lorenzi to write those books, the work of a lifetime, etc., but if the spirit behind his work is conservation of tree species, can not waste time on trade issues: the forests are being killed and many of us can not read his books because they cost too expensive or not sold in bookstores in our countries;

if Lorenzi would like to contribute with another grain over the world of plants to be preserved, should release his works under copyleft or public domain ... He does not looks like someone who will starve for not selling a book ... and actually if releasing his works under the idea of free culture, perhaps will be most known and sell more printed books -which are made ​​from dead trees, if that matters! ...

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2014, 02:43:17 AM »
I understand the hard work of Lorenzi to write those books, the work of a lifetime, etc., but if the spirit behind his work is conservation of tree species, can not waste time on trade issues: the forests are being killed and many of us can not read his books because they cost too expensive or not sold in bookstores in our countries;

if Lorenzi would like to contribute with another grain over the world of plants to be preserved, should release his works under copyleft or public domain ... He does not looks like someone who will starve for not selling a book ... and actually if releasing his works under the idea of free culture, perhaps will be most known and sell more printed books -which are made ​​from dead trees, if that matters! ...

Well yes. If what you are saying is true then we can all abandon our professions and do everything for free. His profession is as a writer. Once you put your books online nobody is going to buy them.
Oscar

huertasurbanas

• Junín, Argentina, zone 9b/9a
    • View Profile
    • huertasurbanas
« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2014, 05:59:42 PM »
That is the proposal of some anarchism (you got it!): do things freely for the others. There are numerous instances of publications under copyleft that are successful, and in general much of the entertainment industry was moving in that direction;

There are professions that are currently in the past time, society advances technologically and no turning back.

Authorship has been out of context thanks to digital technology ... it is as if we pretend that the scribes of the Middle Ages had continued working after invension of printing.

Anyone making a digital copy of the books Lorenzi could climb to the eDonkey network eMule or aMule or any other open networks like the torrent, etc., and there would be no technical way to stop that.

So what it is, is to be creative and see how we get the money while we do not put a spoke in the wheel of progress that can be good for the world and nature.

I would buy the Lorenzi's books if the library in my town would sell them, for sure, and I would like to have a digital copy of them to show to some friends or familiars, etc.

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2014, 06:05:05 PM »
That is the proposal of some anarchism (you got it!): do things freely for the others. There are numerous instances of publications under copyleft that are successful, and in general much of the entertainment industry was moving in that direction;

There are professions that are currently in the past time, society advances technologically and no turning back.

Authorship has been out of context thanks to digital technology ... it is as if we pretend that the scribes of the Middle Ages had continued working after invension of printing.

Anyone making a digital copy of the books Lorenzi could climb to the eDonkey network eMule or aMule or any other open networks like the torrent, etc., and there would be no technical way to stop that.

So what it is, is to be creative and see how we get the money while we do not put a spoke in the wheel of progress that can be good for the world and nature.

I would buy the Lorenzi's books if the library in my town would sell them, for sure, and I would like to have a digital copy of them to show to some friends or familiars, etc.

You have nice utopian fantasy! But right now we are living in a capitalist society, not your utopia. Who will pay for Lorenzi to travel sometimes thousands of miles to get just one photo of very rare fruit or tree? Will torrent pay for that? Or who will pay to run Instituto Plantarum? Will you be handing out utopian coupons?  ;) I think he mostly funds it through sales of his books.
Oscar