Author Topic: Grafting pomello on lemon  (Read 1930 times)

Plantinyum

• Bulgaria , near Sofia city , planting zone 7
    • View Profile
Grafting pomello on lemon
« on: March 05, 2021, 01:49:31 AM »
Hello, can I graft a pomello cion on a lemon rootstock. I have a vigorous lemon tree ,and want to graft one or two branches  of pumello . Anyone tried grafting other citruses onto lemon, mandarins, cumquat , pomello ??thanks !!

tedburn

• Mühlacker, zone 7
    • View Profile
Re: Grafting pomello on lemon
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2021, 03:00:32 AM »
Hello, I tried this about two weks ago, so I can' t tell you a final result, but up to now the grafts are green.
I grafted Chandler and Satsuma on an elder well growing lemon. Best regards Frank

Plantinyum

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2021, 04:26:27 AM »
Hello, I tried this about two weks ago, so I can' t tell you a final result, but up to now the grafts are green.
I grafted Chandler and Satsuma on an elder well growing lemon. Best regards Frank
thanks, hope u keep us updated with your experiment !! 😁

sc4001992

• USA, CA, Fullerton
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2021, 04:30:31 AM »
Yes, you can graft oranges, mandarins (shiranui, kiyomi, xie shen, dobashi beni, Miyagawa), pomelo (mato buntan, kau phuang, banpeiyu) on lemons. I do that on my trees and get good fruits. My rootstock lemon I graft to is Lisbon, 10 yrs no problem.

I hear the Eureka may not be compatible with some varieties.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2021, 04:37:03 AM by sc4001992 »

Plantinyum

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2021, 06:04:51 AM »
Yes, you can graft oranges, mandarins (shiranui, kiyomi, xie shen, dobashi beni, Miyagawa), pomelo (mato buntan, kau phuang, banpeiyu) on lemons. I do that on my trees and get good fruits. My rootstock lemon I graft to is Lisbon, 10 yrs no problem.

I hear the Eureka may not be compatible with some varieties.
thats what I wanted to hear !!! The only problem I may have then is that I do not know what variety my lemon tree is. I will definitely try it, this will be the way to find out....
When do u graft them ??

shaneatwell

• California, San Diego, sunset 23 and 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2021, 10:13:04 AM »
I have about 15 grafts on an old lemon tree. Only thing that isn’t happy is Buddha’s hand. Pomelo and grapefruit very healthy.
Shane

poncirsguy

• Cincinnati, Ohio, USA, 6a/6b
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2021, 10:36:02 AM »
Grafting to an established lemon tree is smart.  If you are just starting out, Why not graft to Seville sour orange instead of the much weaker lemon rootstock.

Plantinyum

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2021, 02:32:25 PM »
Grafting to an established lemon tree is smart.  If you are just starting out, Why not graft to Seville sour orange instead of the much weaker lemon rootstock.
I wanted lemon ,since I have a plant which put out alot of growth past year ,and wanted to maybe top work some of them branches  since my original pomello grafted on flying dragon, does not do much in growing ,and when I see the lemon with its super strong growth ,thought it will make the pomello more vigorous .
I do not have sevile orange plants for grafting also....
I will read some citrus grafting basics and will make a few grafts this spring, if anyone has any "awlays working"methods and tips , I would be thankful if u share them ..🙋  thanks alot !!

lebmung

• Romania, Bucharest,7b (inside city 8a)
    • View Profile
    • Plante tropicale
« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2021, 03:45:54 PM »
Not a good ideea to graft on lemons but go ahead.
I wouldn't use it because lemon is very prone to root rot.
Shikuasha is a very vigourous rootstock of you want big trees fast. I have some fruits left.

Galatians522

• Florida 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2021, 11:01:26 PM »
I wanted lemon ,since I have a plant which put out alot of growth past year ,and wanted to maybe top work some of them branches  since my original pomello grafted on flying dragon, does not do much in growing ,and when I see the lemon with its super strong growth ,thought it will make the pomello more vigorous .
I do not have sevile orange plants for grafting also....
I will read some citrus grafting basics and will make a few grafts this spring, if anyone has any "awlays working"methods and tips , I would be thankful if u share them ..🙋  thanks alot !!

T-budding is the way to go with citrus. It almost gurantees cambium contact if the bark is slipping and has a high percentage of takes even for poor grafters like me.

Plantinyum

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 06, 2021, 04:55:06 AM »
I will try the t budding method, and maybe a cleft or two. I dunno if I will have a suitable t bud for grafting thought, since the branches from my pomello are weak growths ,which are thin and maybe will be more suitable for a cleft graft attempt ....I have just one more guestion...do I need to take the cuttings now and store them like I do with other fruit tree cuttings, or is it okay if both the rootstock and the sion are active prior grafting, I know that the rootstock needs to be active...

Galatians522

• Florida 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 06, 2021, 07:21:15 AM »
I used an old pamphlet from the University of Florida for my budding instructions. The link below is the updated version that they have available on-line. It should have all the information that you need.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/hs1309&ved=2ahUKEwiN-cbz0pvvAhUumeAKHe2ICAQQFjABegQIGhAC&usg=AOvVaw2xDcx2k-jmDkTsfLf5vryC&cshid=1615033090391

Seanny

• Garden Grove, Orange County, California, 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 06, 2021, 11:48:40 AM »
Are you grafting to a new shoot or a big old branch?

Plantinyum

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 06, 2021, 12:33:08 PM »
I used an old pamphlet from the University of Florida for my budding instructions. The link below is the updated version that they have available on-line. It should have all the information that you need.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/hs1309&ved=2ahUKEwiN-cbz0pvvAhUumeAKHe2ICAQQFjABegQIGhAC&usg=AOvVaw2xDcx2k-jmDkTsfLf5vryC&cshid=1615033090391
thanks for the link !!

Are you grafting to a new shoot or a big old branch?
I will be grafting on new past year's growth, not hardened , around pencil thick . The branches have not filled up and are still rectangular in a sense ....if it helps I can provide a picture of the plant....

Seanny

• Garden Grove, Orange County, California, 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 07, 2021, 12:10:47 PM »
If the bark is thin T-budding is easy and high success.
If thick cut bark like T-budding and insert a thin scion stick.
I get low success with T-budding under thick bark.

Plantinyum

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 05, 2021, 03:45:20 AM »
I just grafted two branches of pomello to the lemon tree. Used cleft grafting and then covered the grafts with loose aluminium foil. When should I remove the foil??
Also I pruned the lemon tree and have around ten cuttings, how should I proceed to root them, they are past years growth .. thanks !☺

Millet

• Colorado
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 05, 2021, 11:27:11 AM »
Lemons root very easily. Leave 2 or 3 leaves attached, strip of the lower leaves. Use current flush stems, but after they are fully matured and turned woody.   Wound the base of the cutting by removing two thin strips of bark, maybe 1/2" - 3/4" long from the base on opposite sides of the stem, then dipping in a rooting hormone.  Super easy varieties like calamondin and most lemons may need little to no hormone. Cover with plastic bag. Dip-N-Grow is often used, diluted 1:10 or 1:6 in water. Rooting in containers demand being shaded at mid day or they will cook.

Plantinyum

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 05, 2021, 03:09:32 PM »
Lemons root very easily. Leave 2 or 3 leaves attached, strip of the lower leaves. Use current flush stems, but after they are fully matured and turned woody.   Wound the base of the cutting by removing two thin strips of bark, maybe 1/2" - 3/4" long from the base on opposite sides of the stem, then dipping in a rooting hormone.  Super easy varieties like calamondin and most lemons may need little to no hormone. Cover with plastic bag. Dip-N-Grow is often used, diluted 1:10 or 1:6 in water. Rooting in containers demand being shaded at mid day or they will cook.
thanks for the tips, the cuttings are hardened and were just starting to make new growth which I removed. I removed all leaves except the two top ones which were cut in half. Will use rooting hormone and a free draining ,perlite dominant soil mix .