Author Topic: Duncan mango  (Read 21637 times)

HMHausman

• Mod Emeritus
    • USA, Fort Lauderdale, Broward County, Florida, Zone 10B
    • View Profile
    • Pines Ticket Defense, LLC
Re: Duncan mango
« Reply #25 on: July 30, 2013, 12:20:45 PM »
The one Duncan I tried had nice, smooth flesh and a pleasing flavor for the most part... but it also had a distinctly bitter taste near the peel that kind of ruined it for me.

Is this a general characteristic of this variety... or a fluke?

Not in all years.  However, in some years mine have had that bitter after taste as well.  It is still a mystery as to why it happens when it does. My present thinking is that it has this reaction to some minerals in the soil. 
Harry
Fort Lauderdale, FL 
USA

Cookie Monster

• Broward, FL Zone 10b
  • Administrator
  • Eye like mangoes
    • Tamarac, FL, 33321, 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 01, 2013, 11:45:08 AM »
Thats been my experience with the Duncan too. Its highly variable. Some are great, others are bland and bitter near the skin.
Jeff  :-)

Tropicdude

• Broward County, Florida, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 08, 2014, 07:52:52 PM »
Had a chance to take a picture of a Duncan growing in Bani, D. R.  one of the more productive trees in the collection. this tree is about 6 years old.

It has been said that Edward, is not that bad a producer, if a "Banilejo" tree is near by, seems it helps pollinate the Edward.

William
" The best time to plant a tree is 20 years ago.....The second best time, is now ! "

DuncanYoung

• Eating Edward Mangos for over 67 years!
    • USA, Florida, West Palm Beach, 33405, 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 08, 2014, 09:04:17 PM »
Hope that you are on to something about the "Banilejo" tree!  Great looking Duncan, one of favorites  ;)

Thanks for sharing!
« Last Edit: June 08, 2014, 09:09:23 PM by DuncanYoung »

edzone9

• Zone 10 SW Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 08, 2014, 09:13:31 PM »
Oh Man That Duncan is nice n Compact loaded with Fruit !..
Would a 7 Gal Duncan be ready to bare Fruit ?

Gotts To Call Adam !,...

Ed..
Zone 10

lycheeluva

• Brooklyn, NY
  • obsessed with fruit growing, especially lychees
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: June 09, 2014, 10:34:00 AM »
For me, Duncan is not up there with the great mangoes. Definitely a second or 3rd tier mango.
I wouldn't touch a mango if I could get hold of any of about 20 different top tier mangoes.
That said if I found a duncan in my bed in Winter, I wouldn't kick it out of bed.

puglvr1

• USA, Central, FL xxxxx, Zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 10, 2014, 08:33:59 AM »
Hey Lycheeluva, NICE to see you back  :)...My Mauritius lychee is doing great...about 100+ fruits this year  8)

That's a great looking tree!! Never tasted a Duncan yet...

jc

• Treasure Coast, Florida, 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 10, 2014, 07:51:30 PM »
The mango serial killer is on the hunt again...

Gotts To Call Adam !,...

Ed..
JC

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 11, 2014, 12:46:05 PM »

Gotts To Call Adam !,...

Ed..

While I mean no disrespect to the Sturrock family, I would taste a Duncan, especially next to other fresh local grown varieties, if I were you before purchasing.  As Jerry said, it is not in the upper class of mangoes to most people.  It can have a very strong, somewhat offensive to some, taste near the skin (way different than a Carrie) and its overall flavor is just average in my book.  If you had acre(s) to plant every variety than it would be no big deal however with limited space, there are MANY MANY that are more desirable.
- Rob

jc

• Treasure Coast, Florida, 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 11, 2014, 03:24:47 PM »
Well actually, Ed gets plenty of free space every spring thaw.  ;D

Gotts To Call Adam !,...

Ed..

While I mean no disrespect to the Sturrock family, I would taste a Duncan, especially next to other fresh local grown varieties, if I were you before purchasing.  As Jerry said, it is not in the upper class of mangoes to most people.  It can have a very strong, somewhat offensive to some, taste near the skin (way different than a Carrie) and its overall flavor is just average in my book.  If you had acre(s) to plant every variety than it would be no big deal however with limited space, there are MANY MANY that are more desirable.
JC

edzone9

• Zone 10 SW Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 11, 2014, 04:16:09 PM »
Just Ordered one Duncan , I will pick it up Saturday , Along with a 7 Gal Monroe & 2 Dwarf Royal Poinciana Trees.
I think I pulled the trigger too fast on The Duncan , Before Rob Chimed in ;)..

I will plant it at my aunts property , she has close to 2 acres..

JF, Last winter I only lost 1 Mango & 2 Guanabana Trees, Everything Else is Alive ! ;).,
I am on a mission from God ! ;)...

Ed..
Zone 10

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: June 11, 2014, 04:43:09 PM »
With the dwarf poinciana, are you talking about Caesalpinia pulcherrima?  If so, it will be more of a shrub in your climate and be pretty barren looking in the normal winter and may die back to the graound in a bad year without protection.

- Rob

edzone9

• Zone 10 SW Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: June 12, 2014, 06:35:34 PM »
Rob That's The One, I read somewhere that it can take down to the teens, I will not be getting them if that's not the case!.
Thanks Rob !..

P.s I will give the Duncan Mango to my Aunt, I saw that FF had a nice 3 Gal Peach Cobbler, I think you rated that tree as excellent fruit according to the Mother tree, I'll pick that one up for me instead ;).

Thanks again Ed..
Zone 10

Squam256

• Mangos, trees and budwood for sale
    • USA, West Palm Beach, FL, 33405, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
    • https://www.facebook.com/TropicalAcresFarms
« Reply #38 on: June 12, 2014, 07:21:41 PM »
Hey Ed, I have lots of Duncan fruit for sale if you're interested in trying it.

edzone9

• Zone 10 SW Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: June 12, 2014, 07:25:27 PM »
Do You Ship ?
Zone 10

Squam256

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: June 12, 2014, 07:27:43 PM »
Do You Ship ?

Yes I do. Message if interested.

Squam256

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: June 12, 2014, 07:30:00 PM »
Just Ordered one Duncan , I will pick it up Saturday , Along with a 7 Gal Monroe & 2 Dwarf Royal Poinciana Trees.
I think I pulled the trigger too fast on The Duncan , Before Rob Chimed in ;)..

http://tropicalfruitforum.com/index.php?topic=1135.msg14724#msg14724

I agree Duncan is definitely a top tier mango in all aspects.  In my opinion, it is one of, if not the best, "old school" varieties.  I always try and recommend that variety when people ask for ideas/recommendations that fall into that variety.

Now, I am not sure I would truly call it a dwarf.  On the smaller side, yes, bur not a true dwarf.

;)

edzone9

• Zone 10 SW Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: June 12, 2014, 07:35:23 PM »
Hey I am confused man Haaaaaaaaaaa ;), I am KEEPING that Sucker !..
Thanks Squam you da Man !..

Ed..
Zone 10

DurianLover

• Bali, Indonesia
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: June 12, 2014, 07:51:45 PM »
Incidentally, I had Duncan today from Squam. Silky smooth, pleasant delicate flavor. It crushes any supermarket mango in quality. Edwards tomorrow, and more varieties on Florida trip. Thanks for great service Alex, highly recommended!

edzone9

• Zone 10 SW Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: June 12, 2014, 07:58:02 PM »
Thanks for The Review !.. I have to Visit Alex for some Mangos !
Zone 10

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #45 on: June 12, 2014, 10:18:47 PM »
Tastes change.  Yes, it is highly disease resistant,  usually a heavy producer,  manageable sized and good for back yards.  I would recommend it for that.  I have had some that eere good but for the most part, it is an average taste wise.  It tends to have a strong resinous to almost medicinal taste to the flesh as you get closer to the skin.  The more varieties I taste, the less exciting I find certain mangoes.

Opinions can change.  Fault me for that if you want.   I will say, please keep buying Duncans as it will leave others which I prefer more.  Also, keep this in mind,  I am not a fan of Valencia Pride, Baileys Marvel, Philippine or Keitt.  Would I eat these varieties if there was nothing else, possibly but I would not choose them with other varieties around.
- Rob

Tropicdude

• Broward County, Florida, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: June 12, 2014, 10:48:13 PM »
The important thing is knowing if YOU like the fruit,   usually when you see these mangoes with mixed reviews ( Carrie Duncan ) etc, its because they usually have some trait that people either love or they do not.

I also believe some fruit taste different depending on where they are grown,   I once was given a few Ice Cream variety of mango, they had that slight pinesol taste, and I liked them,   I was also given a tree,  that tree did produce a few fruit,  but when I tried those, that slight pinesol/turpintine taste, was now extremely intense, even hours after eating that one fruit, I was burping up that smell.

Few days ago, I had another,  it was enjoyable like the first ones I tried.

I did not give up on the tree,  after all it was its first time, it is container grown, and also does not get full sun.

If you like the fruit, go ahead and plant that tree,  if not, trade it and get something you like.
William
" The best time to plant a tree is 20 years ago.....The second best time, is now ! "

DurianLover

• Bali, Indonesia
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: June 12, 2014, 11:50:28 PM »
  I will say, please keep buying Duncans as it will leave others which I prefer more. 

As if I had big choice. I would love to try top tiers, and pay double for them. There are simply no sellers.

I always peel my mangoes completely and than slice it up. If you guys eat traditional way (cut off a side, than slice a little in zig zag pattern)  you will end up scrapping the skin with you teeth. I did not feel any funkiness on Duncans last year or today. I actually tried to scrape inner peel with my teeth today, just to see if there is much talked bitterness. Yes, it was definitely there, but again maybe the right way to prepare it is the key with Duncan?

gunnar429

• Nothing like fruit from your own yard!
    • West Park, FL 33023, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: June 13, 2014, 10:12:30 AM »
i agree.  I picked up some lychees off krome ave yesterday.  They were probably not the best of what lychees can be but at least they were local, and not green.  Anyway, i discovered that some tasted bad when i bit into the shell, but when i got them out of the shell, they were tasty.  I think they were mauritius, though some had aborted seeds so not sure if they were SH or Hak ip.  Anyway, the flavor was much different when i cracked the shell with my fingers!
~Jeff

"Say you just can't live that negative way, if you know what I mean. Make way for the positive day." - Positive Vibration

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #49 on: June 13, 2014, 10:52:37 AM »
i agree.  I picked up some lychees off krome ave yesterday.  They were probably not the best of what lychees can be but at least they were local, and not green.  Anyway, i discovered that some tasted bad when i bit into the shell, but when i got them out of the shell, they were tasty.  I think they were mauritius, though some had aborted seeds so not sure if they were SH or Hak ip.  Anyway, the flavor was much different when i cracked the shell with my fingers!

I know everybody eats them differently however I always "peel" the skin off of a lychee by hand,  I never bite into it.

When eating mangoes, I alwats cut the flesh from the seed with a knife, then either cut the skin off with a knife or peel it off by hand (depending on the variety and where I am)...I never do the "cross cut/cross hatch" method with the fruit attached to the skin to eat.  If I want to see what the fruit is like near the skin, I will eat/scrape the fruit from the pieces of skin  I cut or peeled away from the flesh.
- Rob

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk