Author Topic: Kucle x Poncirus  (Read 2731 times)

Till

• Germany, Simmerath (City), Zone 7
    • View Profile
Kucle x Poncirus
« on: December 09, 2019, 02:14:07 PM »
Last but not least, my Kucle x Poncirus hybrids... Kucle is a cross between a Kumquat and a Clementine, so via Clementine also a cross with willow leaf mandarine.

All, except the plant below, are Poncirus hybrids.

Now look the plant in the middle of the next picture:

It has some trifoliate leaves - difficult to see on the photo, though. But nearly all leaves are monofoliate and quite narrow.

Here are some purely monofoliate seedlings from the same plant and year:

You see in the middle another plant with narrow leaves much like willow leaf mandarine. It seems to me that the feature of narrow leaves is (latently) present in Kucle and that it has the power to suppress trifoliate leaves. See also my post about Yuzu x Poncirus.

The growth rate of my Kucle hybrids is different. But many grow just as good as other Citrus seedlings. Some may be vigorious. It is difficult to say for sure when they are still so small.

About my pollination technics: Quite simple: I never castrated the flowers. I just took care that I pollinated before the bees were flying, i. e. early in the morning and several times a day as new flowers opened. Kucle usually has no pollen. It has only rarely got some flowers with pollen. So self pollination is not totally excluded but very unlikely. I had in the year of the cross some Citrus plants flowering in the same glashouse at the some time. But I had no Poncirus hybrids flowering.
I made the mistake that I placed my Kucle at a place much too hot. So growth was minimal that year and all fruits were only as big as small Kumquats (not even a third of the normal Kucle size). Yet all seeds were very well developed and germinated readily. Kucle is strictly monoembryonic and zygotic.

Till

• View Profile
Re: Kucle x Poncirus
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2019, 02:19:22 PM »
Ah, I shall add another photo of the mainly monofoliate Poncirus hybrid:

Here you see some trifoliate leaves.

Walt

• USA, Kansas, Kanopolis, zone 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2019, 03:25:56 PM »
Very interesting.  I'm always glad to see more ponciris-citrus hybrids.

Laaz

• Charleston, SC 9a
    • View Profile
    • Citrusgrowers forum
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2019, 06:42:57 PM »
Great to see you posting again Till. Very interesting hybrids you have made.

mikkel

• Lueneburg, Germany Zone 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2019, 04:45:37 AM »
Which Poncirus did you use as pollen donor? Mainz?

Till

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2019, 11:36:31 AM »
The first pollen I used was frozen pollen of the precocious Poncirus from Laaz. I got the pollen from a citrus friend from England.

When all of that pollen was used, I used fresh pollen from a Poncirus tree in my garden that seems to be very hardy as it grows (slowly) at an exposed corner of my garden, exposted to wind, sun and cold, but hardly ever frostbidden. And I live about 5oom high on the top of a mountain plateau. The tree bloomed abandontly for the first time. But I have never gotten fruits. My parents sowed it many years ago from fruits send via a botanical newsletter. The letter contained no detailed information on the variety. But my parents could not remember any bad tast of the fruits. So everything somewhat vague. I just had no better pollen in that year. So I used what I had.

Would be great when I realized that some of the hybrids are precocious.

I redid the same cross this year with pollen of precocious Poncirus only. But the fruits are not yet ripe.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2019, 11:57:02 AM by Till »

poncirsguy

• Cincinnati, Ohio, USA, 6a/6b
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2020, 07:21:08 PM »
Hi  Where could I find a kukle tree i could buy.  How do the fruits compare to Meiwa or Fukushu fruits

Ilya11

• France, Paris region, Vaux le Penil, middle of Northern z8
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2020, 05:41:29 AM »
It is awful, fruits are very soar and their albedo is bitter
Best regards,
                       Ilya

poncirsguy

• Cincinnati, Ohio, USA, 6a/6b
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2020, 07:55:18 AM »
Ilya
Thanks

Till

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2020, 06:22:59 PM »
Indeed, the fruits are very sour. But the fruits I ate had a mandarine aroma. The peel of my fruits was somewhat sweet and not very bitter. Good for lemonade. The taste of the fruits resembles Calamondin, I would say, not awful to my taste but nothing you would like to eat out of hand.

Kucle is not available in Amerika, so far as I have heard from others in the US.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2020, 05:40:57 PM by Till »

Till

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 29, 2020, 03:51:01 AM »
I just want to give you an update of my Kucle x Poncirus hybrids. Growth was very good in my new glashouse. Here a few photos:

I have tasted some leaves. Poncirus taste is present in all hybrids but it is not equally strong in all. When I compare them to my Calamondin x Poncirus hybrid I shall add that none of my Kucle hybrids has a noteworthy mandarine flavor in its leaves. This was a little surprise for me since Kucle is related to willow leaf mandarine and Calamondin x Poncirus has a very strong mandarine taste in its leaves.

Till

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 29, 2020, 04:02:47 AM »
I forgot another picture of some Kucle seedlings without Poncirus influence:

Sorry for the pure picture quality. But you see that one seedling has leaves like willow leaf mandarine, one has winged petioles (a Yuzu hybrid?), one has very big leaves for its size (a Pummelo hybrid?) and some - not so clearly visible on the photo - look much like kumquats.

By the way, I reported about a mainly monofoliate seedling with initially trifoliate leaves. This seedling never produced trifoliate leaves again and its leaves contain no Poncirus taste whatsoever. Strangly enough, one of the seedlings from the photo above got one bifoliate leave but was otherwise monofoliate. I can only speculate why this is so. Regarding the monofoliate seedling with initially trifoliate leaves, I had the idea it might be triploid (2x Kucle + 1x Poncirus).

Till

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 30, 2020, 02:48:00 AM »
Frying?? Kucle - Pom frites?