Author Topic: Over ripe Jackfruit?  (Read 8284 times)

ReneeFLL

• USA, Ft. Lauderdale, FL 33312, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
Over ripe Jackfruit?
« on: July 27, 2012, 03:47:37 PM »
How do I tell if a jackfruit is ripe or over ripe? The person I got it from said it was ripe. When I opened it, the ends of the fruit closest to the rind/outside were a little mushy. Is this normal? It is also a little stringy. Again, is this normal or could it be this particular kind? I really liked the canned jackfruit and thought that the fresh fruit would be even better. Maybe its just not for me?

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
Re: Over ripe Jackfruit?
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2012, 04:07:40 PM »
How do I tell if a jackfruit is ripe or over ripe? The person I got it from said it was ripe. When I opened it, the ends of the fruit closest to the rind/outside were a little mushy. Is this normal? It is also a little stringy. Again, is this normal or could it be this particular kind? I really liked the canned jackfruit and thought that the fresh fruit would be even better. Maybe its just not for me?
A lot depends on the variety, type (crunchy vs soft/mushy), ripeness and care of the jak.  What you tasted last week was ripe but they were crunchy varieties.  By the same token, even an overripe crunchy variety can become mushy.  Stringy is an adjective I would not normally use to describe jackfruit, no matter the type (crunchy vs soft/mushy) or riprness.
- Rob

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2012, 06:37:43 PM »
To me over ripe means the fermentation process has already started. Also exterior of fruit is super soft in over ripe fruits, often also discolored dark brown. Stringy: all jackfruits have fibrous parts around the edible parts, but none has in the edible parts.
Oscar

ReneeFLL

• USA, Ft. Lauderdale, FL 33312, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2012, 12:48:48 AM »
Rob, I did like the ones at Excalibur. I didn't know there were crunchy and soft/mushy ones. This one must be a soft one. I had also wondered if they turned from firm/crunchy to mushy fairly fast. You saying that there are crunchy ones and soft ones explains alot.

Fruitlovers, the stringies/fibers that I am talking about is definately in the fruit and not in rags (had to look that one up). They seem to be more at the smaller end of each piece that is attached to the core. Now that I think about it there were no stringies (my new word?)  ;D in the fruit from Excalibur.
I think I will have to try more varieties.

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2012, 06:25:53 AM »
My GUESS as to what you had is that it was a poor quality, and maybe overripe, seedling.

The crunchy ones will "soften" or "relax: a little after the fruit is cleaned and in a bag but it would take many many days sitting in bag before it started to break down to the point it would be mushy and POSSIBLY "Stringy".
- Rob