Author Topic: Mulching Fruit Trees  (Read 5704 times)

DRFixembones

• Miami, Florida
    • View Profile
    • www.ZacharyDvorkin.com
Mulching Fruit Trees
« on: July 27, 2012, 05:00:55 PM »
I have been using Cypress Mulch on my newly planted fruit trees (in the ground 3-4 months). Is their a limit on how much I should use? Is more better?
Zach

simon_grow

• USA, San Diego, CA, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
Re: Mulching Fruit Trees
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2012, 05:49:18 PM »
I read on my bag of mulch that I should apply it 3-6 inches deep and make sure to keep the mulch away from the trunk of your trees. 
Simon

luc

• Mexico , Puerto Vallarta , Jalisco . 20 degr. North
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2012, 02:51:42 PM »
The only mulch that is available and free here is the left overs from processing the agave plant to make Tequila , my idea is to cover the whole orchard with it to keep humidity in the ground and maybe keep the weeds a little under control . This mulch has a sweet sugary smell ( maybe it is sweet but I am not gonna taste it ) . If there are sugars in it , how would this affect the soil and plants ????? I did a small part as a test , so far nothing negative happened besides some white fungus growing here and there , will take a pic and post later....
Luc Vleeracker
Puerto Vallarta
Mexico , Pacific coast.
20 degrees north

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2012, 04:47:12 PM »
The only mulch that is available and free here is the left overs from processing the agave plant to make Tequila , my idea is to cover the whole orchard with it to keep humidity in the ground and maybe keep the weeds a little under control . This mulch has a sweet sugary smell ( maybe it is sweet but I am not gonna taste it ) . If there are sugars in it , how would this affect the soil and plants ????? I did a small part as a test , so far nothing negative happened besides some white fungus growing here and there , will take a pic and post later....

Luc, sugars activate soil micro organisms, which tends to make plants grow faster and healthier. It's common practice here for pineapple growers to add molasses to the soil to activate it and get bigger crops. Don't think you can overdo. But just to be on safe side you can make a small trial experiment in one section of your orchard with varying amounts.
Oscar

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2012, 04:50:03 PM »
Btw, we buy agave syrup here as a sweetener. It is very good tasting. Is that made from same agave as is used for making tequila? Is the agave syrup a by product of the manufacturing of tequila?
Oscar

Mike T

• Zone 12a
  • Cairns,Nth Qld, Australia
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2012, 06:18:20 PM »

I reckon load up the mulch but keep it about 10 inches back from the trunk.These trees mulch piles have reduced from a foot deep and all my trees have thick mulch from when they are planted out.

luc

• Mexico , Puerto Vallarta , Jalisco . 20 degr. North
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2012, 07:38:05 PM »
Btw, we buy agave syrup here as a sweetener. It is very good tasting. Is that made from same agave as is used for making tequila? Is the agave syrup a by product of the manufacturing of tequila?

Not sure Oscar , but I don't think it is from the same plant ( the blue agave ) Lots of different agave growing here...
Luc Vleeracker
Puerto Vallarta
Mexico , Pacific coast.
20 degrees north

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2012, 09:15:21 PM »

I reckon load up the mulch but keep it about 10 inches back from the trunk.These trees mulch piles have reduced from a foot deep and all my trees have thick mulch from when they are planted out.

Some trees naturally mulch themselves quite heavily, like lychee and avocado. I doubt they know about the 10 inch rule.  ;) They drop leaves right next to trunk with absolutely no problems. I guess some trunks are much more susceptible to rot than others? Rules of thumb can often be tossed out the window in so many particular cases.
Oscar

fyliu

• Burbank/Covina, CA 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2012, 02:41:18 AM »
I read on my bag of mulch that I should apply it 3-6 inches deep and make sure to keep the mulch away from the trunk of your trees. 
Simon
I'm sure you already know but you can get free compost from several places in San Diego. It'll still retain water but will deplete faster since it's already on its decomposing way.

In dry places like Arizona people like to lay down 18" of it. I've walked on that nice mulch layer and it felt good. The trees looked very healthy also.

zands

• mango_zango
    • Zone 10b, Florida, USA, 33321
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2012, 06:03:57 AM »

I cannot see how that agave waste will hurt. It is shredded? Then will decompose quickly and add black organic humus content to your soil. Here is a neighbor who uses mucho mulch

Heavily mulched mango tree. 12" deep mulch in most places.

Heavily mulched mango tree

Here is the chipped trees from a tree trimming crew dropped off in his driveway a few months ago. Used to mulch his trees keitt mango, canistel, hap ip lychee and lula avocado and banana

Soren

• Zone 12, Uganda
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 29, 2012, 08:38:02 AM »
If I don't keep the trunk clear the termites are there within days. Chances of contracting fungi in case of a damaged trunk should also increase if the trunk is not cleared..
Søren
Kampala, Uganda

Bananimal

• Dan the Bananaman
    • Port St Lucie, Fl zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 29, 2012, 11:36:37 AM »
Your neighbor ---- single man, is he? :P  One of the quicker ways to speed up a divorce - dumping 15 yards of mulch in the driveway.   ;D lol

Seriously though, lots of mulch is the way to go.  Everyone should take a tour of Unbelievable Acres in West Palm Beach guided by Gene Joyner himself.  I did this 2 weeks ago with my club.   Heavy mulching over time creates a biosphere of microrganisms, worms and mycorrizae colonies that promotes healthy rapid growth.  Except for a few types of plants Gene said he doesn't even have to fertilize any more.  Absolutely amazing experience walking thru a true rainforest located on 2 acres in WPB, Fla.

This last pic shows the mulch around the plants and over the pathways.  It's very springy to walk on - like a firm mattress.

Dan

I cannot see how that agave waste will hurt. It is shredded? Then will decompose quickly and add black organic humus content to your soil. Here is a neighbor who uses mucho mulch

Heavily mulched mango tree. 12" deep mulch in most places.

Heavily mulched mango tree

Here is the chipped trees from a tree trimming crew dropped off in his driveway a few months ago. Used to mulch his trees keitt mango, canistel, hap ip lychee and lula avocado and banana

Dan

Soren

• Zone 12, Uganda
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 29, 2012, 12:07:24 PM »
Dan; I agree and thanks for the great photos!
Søren
Kampala, Uganda

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #13 on: July 29, 2012, 06:05:17 PM »
I mulch heavily here. Whenever i see a truck chipping trees on the road i stop and plead, beg, borrow, or buy the load to be dumped in the orchard. All trees love it! Mushrooms grow crazy on the wood chips. I've also chipped 3 large lychee trees i removed and fed it to the other lychee trees.
Oscar