Author Topic: Watering during Rainy Season  (Read 2014 times)

natsgarden123

Watering during Rainy Season
« on: July 29, 2012, 01:51:04 PM »
The rainy season here usually supplies lots of water.  But, let's say 4 or 5 days goes by w/out water and it's extremely hot and sunny.  Does anyone think in-ground trees ( NOT newly planted ones) need to be watered?  If so, how may days should go by before pulling out the hose?

My theory  is that the roots will spread out further ( hence the tree becomes stronger) when less water is available. I have read this view in a number of books

Case in point, when I have ignored trees in the past, they seemed to do just fine.  But would they have done even better if I watered more?

Am I wrong here?  I see a lot of people here have irrigation systems which they also use in the summer.

puglvr1

• USA, Central, FL xxxxx, Zone 9b
    • View Profile
Re: Watering during Rainy Season
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2012, 03:23:49 PM »
I'm one of those that water my trees every 7-10 days during times when there's of NO rainfall in the spring and summer.
But, these are for trees that are 4 years or younger...Once they get around 5 years old I water them about every 2 weeks when it doesn't rain. I have NO idea if this is right or wrong but so far its worked out well for my trees. I also have a sprinkler system that comes on 2x a week...that helps a little.

Of course my (in=ground) trees that are less than a year old gets watered once or twice a week during periods of NO rain during the heat...and once or twice a month in the cooler weather.

TnTrobbie

• runs with pruners
  • ZonePusher has a spot for that.
    • 10b + 9b FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2012, 09:00:49 PM »
I don't remember what year summer it was (08-09), but it was extremely dry in SoFlo, and the only time I manually watered my two in ground mango trees was when I noticed their leaves drooped  :o  :o . So only in severe droughts or 10-12 days of no rainfall or when their leaves droop, I manually soak em.
The Earth laughs in flowers. And bear gifts through fruits.
No where to plant it ...but at least I got it. ;)
F*ck squirrels and deers

Sleepdoc

• Davie, Florida Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2012, 04:31:41 PM »
Yesterday I noticed my 3 y.o. Haas Avocado was looking really droopy at the new growth tips.  It was definitely suffering from the Heat and/or lack of water.  I drenched it, and it seems to have recovered well.  After seeing this, I gave all of my trees under 4 yrs old a good soaking.

natsgarden123

« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2012, 07:41:06 PM »
The longan and the lychee looked a bit droopy so I also watered those yesterday-Mangoes look fine.
Nat

Mr. Clean

• FLMangos.com
    • US, FL, West Palm Beach, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
    • Florida's Finest Mangos
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2012, 02:22:02 PM »
There are probably benefits to both watering and witholding water.  If your tree becomes stressed and dies, you may regret not watering it....so personally I water.
www.FLMangos.com

110+ fruit trees/plants; 60+ mango trees; 9 jackfruit; 6 avocado; 3 persimmon; longan; and a dog that keeps raccoons and squirrels away.