Author Topic: Polyembryonic Malay Apple (Syzygium malaccense)  (Read 3773 times)

murahilin

• Administrator
    • USA Greenacres, Florida Zone 10b
    • View Profile
Polyembryonic Malay Apple (Syzygium malaccense)
« on: July 31, 2012, 12:15:19 AM »
I recently got a few malay apple seeds from Sadhu at http://organicfarm.net/default.htm

From one seed I got 19 plants!! The pic below shows all the plants I got from 1 seed. The seed was larger than the rest and when I first began to split it up, there appeared to be only around 8 plants but there were many tiny parts of the seed that created had their own tap roots so I pot them in an individual pot. In one pot I put three that did not sprout from the top but only had tap roots.

What's the most amount of plants that anyone has gotten from one polyembryonic seed?

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
Re: Polyembryonic Malay Apple (Syzygium malaccense)
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2012, 12:24:16 AM »
I recently got a few malay apple seeds from Sadhu at http://organicfarm.net/default.htm

From one seed I got 19 plants!! The pic below shows all the plants I got from 1 seed. The seed was larger than the rest and when I first began to split it up, there appeared to be only around 8 plants but there were many tiny parts of the seed that created had their own tap roots so I pot them in an individual pot. In one pot I put three that did not sprout from the top but only had tap roots.

What's the most amount of plants that anyone has gotten from one polyembryonic seed?

Like you said, it depends on the size of the seed. So very large malay apple fruits with very large seeds can be separated into many parts. I don't think i've ever had one that sprouted nearly as many as yours, but 6-8 is not uncommon from a very large seeds. This will also depend a lot on the cultivar. Some malay apples have very small seeds and others are huge. The small ones often don't produce more than one sprout. What type of malay apple was it that made that many sprouts?
« Last Edit: July 31, 2012, 02:35:33 AM by fruitlovers »
Oscar

murahilin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2012, 12:35:13 AM »
Like you said, it depends on the size of the seed. So very large malay apple fruits with very large seeds can be seoarated into many parts. I don't think i've ever had one that sprouted nearly as many as yours, but 6-8 is not uncommon from a very large seeds. This will also depend a lot on the cultivar. Some malay apples have very small seeds and others are huge. The small ones often don't produce more than one sprout. What type of malay apple was it that made that many sprouts?

If I remember correctly, Sadhu described them as the best tasting malay apple that he's ever had. I don't think there is a cultivar name. I don't know much else about this one but I think its a dark red/purple one.
This is a pic of the malay apple from Sadhu's website that may be the same type that the seeds I got from.
http://organicfarm.net/malay_apple.gif

Ethan

• Central California Z9/9
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2012, 02:22:48 AM »
Wow what a bargain!  I'm glad you finally got your Malay apple seeds, I just hope the drip irrigation is working. :)

-Ethan

anaxel

• france zone 9a
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2012, 04:53:27 AM »
hi all, :)
this is a phenomenon that occurs rarely in nature,for me  I think this is the first?
I've seen on other species of polyembryonic seeds,organic, multiply 6 at 7 , no more.
I think! :D

murahilin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2012, 03:51:56 PM »
Wow what a bargain!  I'm glad you finally got your Malay apple seeds, I just hope the drip irrigation is working. :)

-Ethan

I don't know what I am going to do with so many plants now. Nope, no drip irrigation. I have been relying on the frequent rain and the occasional hand watering to keep my plants watered. Patrick never finished my irrigation so if my plants die its his fault. Its not like he did everything and only left the easiest part for me to do 8 months ago...

Ethan

• Central California Z9/9
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2012, 05:08:41 PM »
Patrick never finished my irrigation so if my plants die its his fault. Its not like he did everything and only left the easiest part for me to do 8 months ago...

.....plug in the timer? :)

murahilin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2012, 05:13:17 PM »
Patrick never finished my irrigation so if my plants die its his fault. Its not like he did everything and only left the easiest part for me to do 8 months ago...

.....plug in the timer? :)

The timer is set up. I just have to go to home depot and buy the spray nozzles (I decided against drip because I am too lazy to make sure none are clogged and stuff).