Author Topic: Rooting Root Stock?  (Read 2070 times)

Isaac-1

• western Louisiana zone 8b/9a line
    • View Profile
Rooting Root Stock?
« on: September 07, 2018, 05:46:09 PM »
I have as hoot of trifoliate root stock (Carrizo?)  shooting up on one of my citrus trees, and I was wondering if anyone has had any luck taking root cuttings from such a shoot?  It was about a foot long when I looked at it a few days  ago, may be more now.

thanks Ike

TooFarNorth

• U.S.A., Georgia, 8A
    • View Profile
Re: Rooting Root Stock?
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2018, 03:40:02 AM »
Issac-1, I have had some success with rooting rootstock suckers. I have had FD, Rubidoux, and several others take. All I did was put them in a pot with some good potting soil mix, no hormones, no dome. Just stuck them in the soil, not really expecting them to take, but a lot of them did.

TFN

Walt

• USA, Kansas, Kanopolis, zone 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2018, 12:47:50 PM »
I see you are in Georgia, where I expect humidity is high.  High compared to mine at least.  I would need the dome, or up-side-down aquarium, in my case.

TooFarNorth

• U.S.A., Georgia, 8A
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2018, 07:02:15 PM »
I agree, Walt, that everyone's situation is different, but I don't think we have high humidity. You can stand outside in the shade for a full 5 minutes before a puddle starts forming under your feet.. Lol. My point was that I didn't even really try and the suckers rooted, so it shouldn't be difficult for someone who actually tries. I believe it is better to use seed grown rootstock IMO, but in a pinch?

TFN

Walt

• USA, Kansas, Kanopolis, zone 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2018, 12:07:38 PM »
I prefer seed grown, non-transplanted, roots for apples a plums, because they have tap roots.  Is this an issue for citrus?

brian

• Pennsylvania (zone 6) w/ heated greenhouse
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2018, 12:43:22 PM »
This is interesting.  I was wondering something similar when I was disposing of branches I'd cut off FD rootstock to get them out of the way when grafting (they were crowding my target area).   Because my trees are in a greenhouse the lack of taproot isn't a big deal to me as there is no wind to uproot trees.  And FD seeds are hard to come by for me.

I'm going to try propagating flying dragon rootstock by cuttings.   

Ilya11

• France, Paris region, Vaux le Penil, middle of Northern z8
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2018, 01:06:08 PM »
I prefer seed grown, non-transplanted, roots for apples a plums, because they have tap roots.  Is this an issue for citrus?

Deep taproot increases winter hardiness.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2018, 01:08:22 PM by Ilya11 »
Best regards,
                       Ilya

TooFarNorth

• U.S.A., Georgia, 8A
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2018, 03:09:30 PM »
In my experience, though limited, trees with seedling rootstock seem to grow faster and rebound quicker after transplanting, cold injury and insect damage than rooted cutting rootstock.

TFN

Isaac-1

• western Louisiana zone 8b/9a line
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2018, 03:54:25 PM »
TooFarNorth, I agree you probably have low humidity there, at least compared to here in south Louisiana, though compared to Kansas your humidity probably seems like a tropical rainforest.

My goal here is to grow root stock (potentially to get seeds to grow) to potentially propagate more citrus trees for my own use given that I live in an HLB/ACP quarantine zone, though I live 150 miles from the nearest documented cases.      With luck it may never get here given the relatively sparse planting of citrus here on the h8b/9a line, mostly backyard citrus, though there are a few small commercial / u-pick operations 25-30 miles south of here.