Author Topic: Jaboticaba - Cutting in Water is Growing Roots  (Read 7061 times)

Marlohe

• USA, Texas, Dallas, 8A
    • View Profile
Jaboticaba - Cutting in Water is Growing Roots
« on: May 16, 2017, 02:08:01 PM »
Hello,  I am a VERY amateur gardner.  I bought a Jaboticaba tree at a grocery store in Dallas a few years ago.  I know this is not an ideal climate for Jaboticaba, but it has managed to survive in a pot near my house.  A friend of mine wants a tree, so I thought I would try snipping off about a foot of newer growth, dipping it in rooting hormone, and then sticking it in a vase of water with indirect sunlight to see if I could get roots.  To my shock, roots are developing.  They are only about 1/4 - 1/2 inch long.  Do I keep it in water longer until the roots grow bigger or should I stick the cutting in soil now?
« Last Edit: May 16, 2017, 02:57:32 PM by Marlohe »

Marlohe

• USA, Texas, Dallas, 8A
    • View Profile
Re: Jaboticaba - Cutting in Water is Growing Roots
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2017, 02:58:48 PM »

« Last Edit: May 16, 2017, 05:59:12 PM by Marlohe »

fyliu

• Burbank/Covina, CA 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2017, 03:16:37 PM »
Cool. I would use a clean potting mix like peat and perlite to start it off in a small pot and then step up the sizes as the roots take up more and more room.

What hormone and concentration did you use? I've never seen or tried this before although I heard it can be done.

echinopora

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2017, 04:06:14 PM »
Do you have any in focus closeups? To my eye it looks to have a single alternate pattern with large buds, where the jaboticaba I am aware of tend to be opposing/small bud.

Marlohe

• USA, Texas, Dallas, 8A
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2017, 05:53:41 PM »
There is a honeysuckle clipping in the background of the picture of the roots.  I had it in my pot of miscellaneous things I try to sprout.  :D  I'll add a pic of the tree I clipped it from.  It's from the tree in the terracotta pot.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2017, 06:09:18 PM by Marlohe »

Marlohe

• USA, Texas, Dallas, 8A
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2017, 05:57:07 PM »
The rooting hormone is Bonetone II Rooting Hormone.  I ran the stem under water and then stuck it in the rooting hormone so the powder would stick.  Then right into the vase.

Marlohe

• USA, Texas, Dallas, 8A
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2017, 06:00:19 PM »
Cool. I would use a clean potting mix like peat and perlite to start it off in a small pot and then step up the sizes as the roots take up more and more room.

What hormone and concentration did you use? I've never seen or tried this before although I heard it can be done.

The rooting hormone is Bonetone II Rooting Hormone.  I ran the stem under water and then stuck it in the rooting hormone so the powder would stick.  Then right into the vase.

Marlohe

• USA, Texas, Dallas, 8A
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2017, 06:01:18 PM »
Do you have any in focus closeups? To my eye it looks to have a single alternate pattern with large buds, where the jaboticaba I am aware of tend to be opposing/small bud.

There is a honeysuckle clipping in the background of the picture of the roots.  I had it in my pot of miscellaneous things I try to sprout.  :D  I'll add a pic of the tree I clipped it from.  It's from the tree in the terracotta pot.

« Last Edit: May 16, 2017, 06:08:19 PM by Marlohe »

LEOOEL

• USA, South Florida, Miami, Temperature Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2017, 08:18:45 PM »
Marlohe, that was genius, I wonder if any fruit tree new growth would lend itself for propagation in this manner; thanks for the info.
'Virtue' should be taught, learned and propagated, in order to save others and oneself.

Marlohe

• USA, Texas, Dallas, 8A
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2017, 09:58:52 PM »
Marlohe, that was genius, I wonder if any fruit tree new growth would lend itself for propagation in this manner; thanks for the info.

Thank u!  It was a bit of an accident.  I really didn't think it would work, but it did.  I figured it never hurts to try.  The roots actually came out pretty quick (under 2 weeks) and they formed where leaves would have come out or had been.  I used a newer growth piece.  Now to see if it will survive being transferred out of water into a potting medium.  :D

LEOOEL

• USA, South Florida, Miami, Temperature Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 17, 2017, 12:42:09 AM »
Marlohe Play
Opening-Act: Congrats on your success in developing roots with your jaboticaba cutting; masterfully done.
Mid-Act/Part2: Successful transplant of roots in water to pot medium will determine if there'll be a Part 3.
Final-Act/Part3: The tree grows, thrives and produces fruit.

The Mid-Act/Part2 is where I was unsuccessful in transferring roots from water to pot.

If this were to work, there's a high quality fruit tree (HQFT) that I'd like to propagate using your technique. If you are successful, and I were to successfully duplicate your propagation technique with the HQFT that I have in mind, I would be very grateful & would express my gratitude by giving you a propagation of the HQFT free of charge.

Best of Luck

Thank u!  It was a bit of an accident.  I really didn't think it would work, but it did.  I figured it never hurts to try.  The roots actually came out pretty quick (under 2 weeks) and they formed where leaves would have come out or had been.  I used a newer growth piece.  Now to see if it will survive being transferred out of water into a potting medium.  :D
'Virtue' should be taught, learned and propagated, in order to save others and oneself.

huertasurbanas

• Junín, Argentina, zone 9b/9a
    • View Profile
    • huertasurbanas
« Reply #11 on: May 17, 2017, 08:29:10 AM »
Hi, amazing, congrats... rooting jaboticabas is possible, there are a lot of documents on the net, but it is very difficult and it varies with species, dont know what is your species (not m  cauliflora, maybe m. jaboticaba -sabara...).

The best time to do it is spring and the best is to use new growth, as you did! Jaboticaba is very hardy and a cutting could survive in water for many weeks, but, normally, they dont produce roots! and there are documents on the net that show you that rooting hormone would not help. But maybe you species, temperature and rooting hormone were the best possible to root it.

I could never did it (tried with 10 cm new growth cuttings from myrciaria cauliflora - paulista), will try the next spring.

simon_grow

• USA, San Diego, CA, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 17, 2017, 09:48:39 AM »
Hello,  I am a VERY amateur gardner.  I bought a Jaboticaba tree at a grocery store in Dallas a few years ago.  I know this is not an ideal climate for Jaboticaba, but it has managed to survive in a pot near my house.  A friend of mine wants a tree, so I thought I would try snipping off about a foot of newer growth, dipping it in rooting hormone, and then sticking it in a vase of water with indirect sunlight to see if I could get roots.  To my shock, roots are developing.  They are only about 1/4 - 1/2 inch long.  Do I keep it in water longer until the roots grow bigger or should I stick the cutting in soil now?

Congratulations, this is wonderful to hear! Thank you for giving us the name of the rooting hormone, would you also mind giving us the ingredients and concentration of hormones? Perhaps a picture of the active ingredients is easier. Thanks and good luck with planting it in soil, please keep us updated!

Simon

Marlohe

• USA, Texas, Dallas, 8A
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 17, 2017, 11:31:04 AM »
Marlohe Play
Opening-Act: Congrats on your success in developing roots with your jaboticaba cutting; masterfully done.
Mid-Act/Part2: Successful transplant of roots in water to pot medium will determine if there'll be a Part 3.
Final-Act/Part3: The tree grows, thrives and produces fruit.

The Mid-Act/Part2 is where I was unsuccessful in transferring roots from water to pot.

If this were to work, there's a high quality fruit tree (HQFT) that I'd like to propagate using your technique. If you are successful, and I were to successfully duplicate your propagation technique with the HQFT that I have in mind, I would be very grateful & would express my gratitude by giving you a propagation of the HQFT free of charge.

Best of Luck

Thank you!  Please don't laugh at me, but what does HQFT mean?  I wasn't kidding when I said I am very amateur gardener.  lol

Marlohe

• USA, Texas, Dallas, 8A
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 17, 2017, 11:35:03 AM »

Congratulations, this is wonderful to hear! Thank you for giving us the name of the rooting hormone, would you also mind giving us the ingredients and concentration of hormones? Perhaps a picture of the active ingredients is easier. Thanks and good luck with planting it in soil, please keep us updated!

Simon
Sure, Bontone II Rooting Powder (purchased at Lowes or Home Depot) Active Ingredient:  Indole-3-butric acid .10%, Other indredients 99.90%

simon_grow

• USA, San Diego, CA, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 17, 2017, 01:12:48 PM »
Thanks, I already have that but it goes by rootone.

Simon

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
  • www.FlyingFoxFruits.com
    • USA, FEMA Region IV, FL Zone 9a
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
« Reply #16 on: May 31, 2017, 02:33:36 PM »

trust your instincts...

Sabara roots are thread like...

believe none of what you hear, and only half of what you see.
www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

https://www.ebay.com/usr/flyingfoxfruits

www.youtube.com/FlyingFoxFruits

https://www.instagram.com/flyingfoxfruits/
I disabled the forum's personal messaging system, please send an email to contact me, FlyingFoxFruits@gmail.com

tropical66

• Seri Kembangan, Selangor, Malaysia
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 01, 2017, 11:12:15 PM »
Any new update marlohe
There is nothing more beautiful than PEACE - Unite All Mankind.

Bobnatural

• USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 26, 2021, 03:41:44 AM »
I used peat and perlite for mine. Thanks for the suggestion. I found lots of interesting ways to grow plants in the house thanks to the suggestions by so many members like you in these forums. One interesting thing that happened recently in my bathroom where I keep some plants close to the heater and window was the appearance of grass right next to the pots that I keep them. It was weird, but a good way to understand that my heater was leaking and needed a repair, so I called https://www.trueblueatl.com/water-heater-installation-repair afterward to deal with it.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2021, 07:06:24 PM by Bobnatural »

mango_kush

• Ft Lauderdale
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 26, 2021, 08:54:59 PM »

You can probably get alot of things to root but getting them established is another ballgame. 
This only works on trees that have a spreading root structure, not trees with a taproot like mango

shmojojojo

• Southern California, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 27, 2021, 01:34:45 AM »
This post is 4 years old. Looks like OP disappeared soon after too. Nothing about it looks legit

Sunrisefruit

• Sunrise, Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 27, 2021, 09:41:22 AM »
agree.. fake post

Joshirie

• Baie-D'Urfe
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 08, 2021, 01:04:56 AM »
Making it grow in a vase it's amazing, but you will have to find another place for it soon, if you want it to survive.

greg794855

• louisiana
    • View Profile
    • Camu Camu
« Reply #23 on: June 09, 2021, 08:37:22 AM »

You can probably get alot of things to root but getting them established is another ballgame. 
This only works on trees that have a spreading root structure, not trees with a taproot like mango

I am able to clone Camu camu on a very large scale. I have also done this with a couple of other plants but I am awaiting more results from testing. When I have a couple more mangos at a better more stable height I will test those.
I grow Camu Camu, it’s what I do.
Www.camucamufarms.com

Joshirie

• Baie-D'Urfe
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 14, 2021, 11:27:11 PM »
Making it grow in a vase it's amazing, but you will have to find another place for it soon, if you want it to survive. I was thinking to move them to my new house, which is still under construction, but it should be finished soon. The guys from a very good plumbing company should come in a few days and take care of the bathroom, when all the other stuff will be finished, and I will be able to move there and take care of the plants, because the garden is big enough for all the species which I wanna see there.