Author Topic: What are your top five non Zill mangoes  (Read 3435 times)

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
Re: What are your top five non Zill mangoes
« Reply #25 on: June 01, 2021, 12:40:15 PM »
Some more info on Denise mango. Rated a top tier fruit. I wish to try one some day.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iFZJUu3KS2s

So, promoting an unknown mango as "top tier" that you have never tasted based on a youtube video... ???  ::)
- Rob

bovine421

• Shake Rag Rd Fl 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 01, 2021, 12:53:26 PM »
Some more info on Denise mango. Rated a top tier fruit. I wish to try one some day.

Can you imagine how many Rogue tree's that are very good that are along the Tamiami Trail. The Orlando Gardener does not like spice mangoes so I don't really pay attention to his reviews. My mother-in-law has two Rogue avocados which are very good but I'm not going to give them a colorful name and make a YouTube  umm no.
I'll stick with my West Indian consultant

« Last Edit: June 01, 2021, 01:02:07 PM by bovine421 »
Tete Nene Julie Juliet Carrie Ice Cream Coconut Cream Little Gem  Dot  Mallika PPK  OS  Pina Colada Cotton Candy Buxton Spice Karen Michelle M-4 Beverly Marc Anthony White Pirie Lychee Cherilata Plantain Barbados Cherry

johnb51

• USA Deerfield Beach, FL Zone 11a
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 01, 2021, 01:24:34 PM »

So, promoting an unknown mango as "top tier" that you have never tasted based on a youtube video... ???  ::)
Based on TWO videos.  One more and it's unanimous.   ;D  ;D  ;D
John

JulianoGS

• USA, South Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 01, 2021, 01:28:56 PM »

Based on two videos, I would sure like to try it out.
No promoting anything, it was rated by others as top tier, hence why I said: I have not tasted.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2021, 01:32:54 PM by JulianoGS »
Be very careful and mindful of what you sow, for whatever a man sows, that he will also reap.

bovine421

• Shake Rag Rd Fl 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 01, 2021, 01:56:10 PM »
I'm more interested in trying this mango the Marc Anthony

https://youtu.be/0-X3kiluDg0
« Last Edit: June 01, 2021, 02:02:31 PM by bovine421 »
Tete Nene Julie Juliet Carrie Ice Cream Coconut Cream Little Gem  Dot  Mallika PPK  OS  Pina Colada Cotton Candy Buxton Spice Karen Michelle M-4 Beverly Marc Anthony White Pirie Lychee Cherilata Plantain Barbados Cherry

johnb51

• View Profile
« Reply #30 on: June 01, 2021, 02:08:45 PM »

I seem to recall that Orlando Gardener brought this same mango to Truly Tropical last summer for a mango tasting with Chris, and it turned out to be a dud compared to the other mangos they were tasting that day.  Anyway, wait until you see my video.  My neighbor has a seedling tree whose fruit is out of this world!  ;)
John

BohicaBob

• East Central Florida, USA 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 01, 2021, 02:34:25 PM »
Denise gave me a couple of her Denise mangoes two seasons ago.  A fantastic mango in many ways.  The aroma of them sitting in the kitchen was memorable.  But eating them was a mango treat I'll never forget.  :D

bovine421

• Shake Rag Rd Fl 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 01, 2021, 03:24:15 PM »

I seem to recall that Orlando Gardener brought this same mango to Truly Tropical last summer for a mango tasting with Chris, and it turned out to be a dud compared to the other mangos they were tasting that day.  Anyway, wait until you see my video.  My neighbor has a seedling tree whose fruit is out of this world!  ;)
John51 please inform your neighbor that the planet Vulcan has been taken and most of the planets in our solar system. If his fruit tree is really out of this world may I suggest one of the moons of Jupiter. Europa :)
And John when you do your YouTube review don't be like most other YouTubers and list an say it taste like every fruit under the Sun except the Tomato.Lol
Some reviews remind me of the Everlasting Gobstopper in Charlie's Chocolate Factory
« Last Edit: June 01, 2021, 03:31:14 PM by bovine421 »

johnb51

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 01, 2021, 04:29:31 PM »
I was kidding about doing a video, but my friend skhan did review the mango here.  I think he nailed the flavor in his description.  It's a damn good mango, the best I've tasted so far this year.  And it's a pretty color, but no red blush, with a wide window for prime ripeness/refrigeration.
https://tropicalfruitforum.com/index.php?topic=6398.msg430665#new
« Last Edit: June 01, 2021, 04:34:18 PM by johnb51 »
John

bovine421

• Shake Rag Rd Fl 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 01, 2021, 06:20:24 PM »
Yeah I just poke fun of the YouTubers to deflate thier ego a little bit if that's possible. Pretty sure they're oblivious to criticism by now. I do think that the Orlando Gardener is onto something by seeking out Rogue potential varieties. There could be a diamond in the rough out there. I would encourage others to do the same. Maybe set up a unofficial peer review board.
I don't have enough time for the next Gary's Zill to come along but there Maybe something that could possibly be out there that you and I would enjoy. ;D

561MangoFanatic

• Loxahatchee, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 01, 2021, 08:29:09 PM »

It was good but wasn’t wowed by it.. I was told that it wasn’t as flavorful as prior years when I tried it last year
Sergio

561MangoFanatic

• Loxahatchee, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: June 01, 2021, 08:31:56 PM »
Cac, Guava, son pari also great ones I love but didn’t know if they were considering Zill’s or not.. love them spicy mangos 🥭 🤤🤤🤤
Sergio

bovine421

• Shake Rag Rd Fl 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: June 01, 2021, 09:11:45 PM »

It was good but wasn’t wowed by it.. I was told that it wasn’t as flavorful as prior years when I tried it last year

I'm interested in it because it's a fiber less Seedling off of Bombay. What baffles me is the Orlando gardener said it has no spice. I wonder if it has a resinous Alfonso type flavor.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2021, 09:21:25 PM by bovine421 »

BayAreaMicroClimate

• Dublin, California 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: June 13, 2021, 12:06:45 AM »
I’d like to know how himsagar compares to good zill mangos

fliptop

• SWFL10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: June 13, 2021, 11:28:39 AM »
This is easy . . . all but one of my top five mangos are not Zill's creations. My list: Haden, Pim Seng Mun, PPK, Madame Francis, and Saigon. We recently tried Saigon and loved it. Alex's description of it on his site makes this sound like an appealing tree to grow, and I planted the seed in hopes of growing it.

zands

• mango_zango
    • Zone 10b, Florida, USA, 33321
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: June 13, 2021, 12:39:08 PM »
Carrie is a Zill mango.
Right! (lulz) An ancient Zill from the Al Capone era. First grown in the 1930s

My left field endorsement is Kent. Large fruit. Let grow large for a shade tree. Full trad Florida taste. Large colorful fruits. August crop so after the peak mango season when  you get too many mangoes ripening. I had a Kent tree but my HOA banned it. Great yields and fun while it lasted. I lost one branch with 25 mangoes that broke off from the weight. About 3 weeks before the fruits were going to be ripe.

Kent is an upright grower. I must suppose that with enough discipline it can be kept to a reasonable size.

Alphonse Gabriel Capone (/kəˈpoʊn/;[1] January 17, 1899 – January 25, 1947), sometimes known by the nickname "Scarface"  (IOW Carrie was endorsed by Scarface. How Miami is this!)
He worked at odd jobs around Brooklyn, including a candy store and a bowling alley.[11] From 1916 to 1918, he played semi-professional baseball.[12] Following this, Capone was influenced by gangster Johnny Torrio, whom he came to regard as a mentor.[13]
« Last Edit: June 14, 2021, 06:15:17 PM by zands »

Brev Grower

• Will trade mango scions
    • USA , Florida, Brevard county
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: June 13, 2021, 12:56:51 PM »
Baileys Marvel, PPK, Edward, Maha Chanok, Rosigold - In that order.

Sleepdoc

• Davie, Florida Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: June 13, 2021, 05:07:16 PM »
Angie, Edward, PPK, Cushman, Khun See

roblack

• Miami, FL 11A
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: June 14, 2021, 05:16:27 PM »
...add Sunny to my list.