Author Topic: TaiTri vs 5* deciduousness and hardiness  (Read 2465 times)

kumin

• USA PA 6b
    • View Profile
TaiTri vs 5* deciduousness and hardiness
« on: December 13, 2019, 03:47:19 PM »
Is anyone familiar with both TiaTri citrandarin and 5* citrumelo in respect to their winter hardiness? The first indications I see are that TaiTri shows a bit of deciduousness while I see none in the 5* at this point.  Some of my segentrages show appreciable deciduous behavior, others don't. TaiTri also made less late growth. Which has shown better cold resistance?
« Last Edit: December 13, 2019, 08:18:52 PM by kumin »

Ilya11

• France, Paris region, Vaux le Penil, middle of Northern z8
    • View Profile
Re: TaiTri vs 5* deciduousness and hardiness
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2019, 04:34:15 AM »
I do not have Taitri, but 5star was able to flower after the winters when he lost his leaves due to the wind and cold.
Best regards,
                       Ilya

kumin

• USA PA 6b
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2019, 03:47:14 PM »
By spring I should have some answers in regards to the cold hardiness of both 5* and TaiTri. Shorter winters would be desirable!

poncirsguy

• Cincinnati, Ohio, USA, 6a/6b
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2020, 09:06:32 PM »
By spring I should have some answers in regards to the cold hardiness of both 5* and TaiTri. Shorter winters would be desirable!
I understand the need for shorter winters.  The long cold desiccates the tree when the roots are asleep.  How did they fair over this winter and last
« Last Edit: April 12, 2020, 09:10:23 PM by poncirsguy »

kumin

• USA PA 6b
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2020, 10:19:52 PM »
Having just come through one of the mildest winters, there was very little freeze back. Even seedlings remaining outdoors in the initial test plot are only moderately damaged. The plants within the cold frame show no damage except for 5 * citrumelo late season stem tip growth. That damage occurred in early winter.

Overall TaiTri appears to be a bit hardier than 5* citrumelo. Several of the citrange selections showed no damage whatsoever. 3 of the hardiest citranges developed purple leaves during the winter as a cold response. This coloration is fading with warmer temperatures. I hope to achieve good growth this summer, allowing the seedlings to get closer to fruiting maturity.
I propagated a number of the more promising citranges by budding/grafting to increase the number of fruiting plants, when they eventually reach maturity..
« Last Edit: April 12, 2020, 10:21:51 PM by kumin »

SoCal2warm

• zone 10 and zone 8a
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2020, 12:15:29 AM »
I have three TaiTri seedlings outside in containers, and none of the seedlings lost their leaves this winter. In fact, the coloration of the leaves still look fairly healthy.
This is in zone 8, the Pacific Northwest.

I also have a Dustan citrumelo planted outside which did not lose its leaves this year, and still looks quite good.

kumin

• USA PA 6b
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2020, 06:54:29 AM »
This is a recent 5* citrumelo bud and graft on Poncirus rootstock. The upper graft is a bark flap graft, the lower one is an inverted T-Bud. Both are growing well in the present hot weather. Both photos are of the same plant.

Shortly after bud-break.

The most recent photo.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2020, 09:07:42 AM by kumin »