Author Topic: Top Tier Mango Reviews  (Read 7488 times)

bovine421

• Shake Rag Rd Fl 9b
    • View Profile
Re: Top Tier Mango Reviews
« Reply #50 on: June 06, 2021, 09:26:38 PM »
I think Pickering and Glenn make a wonderful Cornerstone to build your Grove on. If you add sweet tart for a dessert mango and maybe fruit punch for its size and taste. I think you're going to be quite happy. I'm going to try to purchase a good-sized quantity of fruit punch. I really like its flavor and I want to make a gallon of juice. I think it will be top tier juice.
Why on earth would you make mango juice? You can't make mango juice because you cannot juice a mango. Let me guess. You put mango pulp in a blender along with some ice cubes and some water. Am I close? Wow, that is a lot of messy work separating pulp from skin and seeds. Then you refrigerate it. Far easier to refrigerate a favorite mango(s) and eat it directly. This is not diluted by water and ice cubes.

What you can make is watermelon rind juice. The seedless ones always have such thick skins. So don't toss them. They are 25% of what you paid for. Take the rind and juice it along with some ginger root and some limes. Juice the entire lime. You can substitute other citrus if you like.  So refreshing in the summer. I had some yesterday. If you are into cocktails this makes a fine base to add some vodka and other stuffs to.
Why would you dilute alcohol? You drink it for the effect not to taste. The same reason I drink guava juice mixed with Barbados cherries. Golden apple juice because I like it I can afford it. And here shortly in a few weeks or so I'm going to have a surplus. It's called variety. This is what West Indians and probably Indians do with mango drops that are bruised and maybe a little mushy. I like it so much I bought a fruit punch tree just for that. I'm going to take it to the next level. I'm the one holding the camera.Lol🙂

These are mango drops thanks Alex
You do realize South Florida is three or four weeks ahead of Central Florida  That's why I go down for the early mangos. I also get top-tier mangoes to sample that I possibly would want to graft

I agree, why dilute alcohol but not for the effect, I do drink undiluted FOR the taste.  I drink bourbon and rye neat, and barrel proof/cask strength.   Almost all I have is between 110-135 proof and it does not see a drop of water or a cube of ice.
I don't think there's much call for ice in Ireland.
In a conversation with a German. I inquired why haven't I ever seen a German drink water. He's response was. Water is for livestock. Beer is for Germans.🍺
« Last Edit: June 06, 2021, 09:28:38 PM by bovine421 »
Tete Nene Julie Juliet Carrie Ice Cream Coconut Cream Little Gem  Dot  Mallika PPK  OS  Pina Colada Cotton Candy Buxton Spice Karen Michelle M-4 Beverly Marc Anthony White Pirie Lychee Cherilata Plantain Barbados Cherry

Julie

• Miami, FL, Zone 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: June 11, 2021, 10:42:31 PM »
I tried the sunburst/fruit cocktail mango and it’s very good. The flesh is soft and fiberless and it had some of the spice flavor (like Carrie has) but not too much and also a fizz component. Seems to be an earlier ripening mango, took a week to ripen and was properly ripened. The others from my list have been hard on my counter for over a week.

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: June 12, 2021, 12:54:38 AM »
I tried the sunburst/fruit cocktail mango and it’s very good. The flesh is soft and fiberless and it had some of the spice flavor (like Carrie has) but not too much and also a fizz component. Seems to be an earlier ripening mango, took a week to ripen and was properly ripened. The others from my list have been hard on my counter for over a week.

If a mango takes a week or more to ripen it was picked too early.
- Rob

johnb51

• USA Deerfield Beach, FL Zone 11a
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: June 12, 2021, 09:41:51 AM »
If a mango takes a week or more to ripen it was picked too early.
What do you consider ideal?  One to five days?
John

Julie

• Miami, FL, Zone 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: June 12, 2021, 01:43:37 PM »
Yes I know unfortunately that’s not really in my control. I wait until the fruit at my house fall from the tree and go outside to pick up fallen fruit twice a day.

I tried ceci love and sweet tart and both were good. Sweet tart was melting texture and a fruity flavor, for me ceci love has more of a lemon flavor. I didn’t taste the complex elements that others have described for sweet tart. Ceci love seemed to have more of a lemon component and melting texture. In my opinion, this is my ranking so far: (1) fruit cocktail (2) Sweet tart (2) ppk (4) ceci love. Also the fruit for sweet tart was on the smaller side which isn’t an issue for me

roblack

• Miami, FL 11A
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: June 12, 2021, 01:55:49 PM »
imo, you haven't had a properly ripened Ceci Love if PPK ranks higher. PPK is good. Ceci Love dominates when done right. First few times I tried it, wasn't that impressed either. Try again!
« Last Edit: June 12, 2021, 01:58:54 PM by roblack »

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #56 on: June 12, 2021, 03:51:58 PM »
Yes I know unfortunately that’s not really in my control. I wait until the fruit at my house fall from the tree and go outside to pick up fallen fruit twice a day.

I tried ceci love and sweet tart and both were good. Sweet tart was melting texture and a fruity flavor, for me ceci love has more of a lemon flavor. I didn’t taste the complex elements that others have described for sweet tart. Ceci love seemed to have more of a lemon component and melting texture. In my opinion, this is my ranking so far: (1) fruit cocktail (2) Sweet tart (2) ppk (4) ceci love. Also the fruit for sweet tart was on the smaller side which isn’t an issue for me

Again, sounds like fruit picked too early. 

You do have control, know where and how to shop.  Some sellers are known for picking well before they are ready.  They dont care about the fruit, just making the money.
- Rob

Julie

• Miami, FL, Zone 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: June 12, 2021, 10:22:06 PM »
Yes I realize that but I was scared I would miss out on trying it at all if I didn’t buy now! I’m not going to do shipping again that was too pricey for sure, I plan on driving to some of these retailers. I will definitely try ceci love again. Sweet tart was very good now I have to say fruit cocktail and sweet tart are in a tie for #1 if I want to go back on my ranking haha

bovine421

• Shake Rag Rd Fl 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: June 13, 2021, 09:11:18 PM »

I agree with your assessment on fruit cocktail very good enjoyable mango. I also had a coconut cream that was very good.After Pine Islander dispelled some of the carrie hate propaganda. I purchased about a dozen carries from truly tropical. My wife and I enjoyed them very much. The one that I had last year must have been over ripe. I have had two Sweet Tarts so far one was watery the other was sweet but not tart. So for my taste Dot is #1 Dwarf Hawaiian #2 Graham&Carrie are tied for #3 this could change rather shortly I still have Sugarloaf and Phoenix in the finny box. I also like Bombay but Ladies choice was a little weak. I am willing to give her another chance. I did overhear a conversation at the Fruit Stand from someone who really likes PPK. They said so far this year it has been a little weak. Last year was excellent.I I still have a half dozen in a box.

I took this photo for John51

« Last Edit: June 13, 2021, 09:27:41 PM by bovine421 »
Tete Nene Julie Juliet Carrie Ice Cream Coconut Cream Little Gem  Dot  Mallika PPK  OS  Pina Colada Cotton Candy Buxton Spice Karen Michelle M-4 Beverly Marc Anthony White Pirie Lychee Cherilata Plantain Barbados Cherry

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #59 on: June 13, 2021, 09:48:02 PM »

I agree with your assessment on fruit cocktail very good enjoyable mango. I also had a coconut cream that was very good.After Pine Islander dispelled some of the carrie hate propaganda. I purchased about a dozen carries from truly tropical. My wife and I enjoyed them very much. The one that I had last year must have been over ripe. I have had two Sweet Tarts so far one was watery the other was sweet but not tart. So for my taste Dot is #1 Dwarf Hawaiian #2 Graham&Carrie are tied for #3 this could change rather shortly I still have Sugarloaf and Phoenix in the finny box. I also like Bombay but Ladies choice was a little weak. I am willing to give her another chance. I did overhear a conversation at the Fruit Stand from someone who really likes PPK. They said so far this year it has been a little weak. Last year was excellent.I I still have a half dozen in a box.

You are trying many mangoes at their first/early harvest (some way too early).  These are usually the sacrificial lambs and nowhere near at the level/quality they can and will be in the middle of their main harvest.

Oh, and Carrie is bottom tier.
- Rob

zands

• mango_zango
    • Zone 10b, Florida, USA, 33321
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: June 13, 2021, 10:17:34 PM »
But then Carrie is in the top tier of drawing mango comments here. Go figure.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2021, 10:20:25 PM by zands »

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #61 on: June 13, 2021, 10:49:26 PM »
But then Carrie is in the top tier of drawing mango comments here. Go figure.

As you know, taste is subjective.   I may poke and make comments but I will acknowledge that many love Carrie and there is nothing wrong with that (more of other varieties for me).
- Rob

Mike T

• Zone 12a
  • Cairns,Nth Qld, Australia
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: June 14, 2021, 07:34:11 AM »
Prices paid in the market and export selections for highest prices are not subjective. KP, Maha Chanok and honey gold will always fetch at least triple the price of brooks or keitt in my part of the world.

Honest Abe

• Biscayne Park, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: June 14, 2021, 09:56:25 PM »
Well I thought Sugarloaf was king but I think I found a rival: Pineapple Pleasure. I tried my first couple today and I must say it may be the second finest mango I’ve tasted of 75 plus cultivars. It was melting, SWEET, Pineapple cream with a bit of coconut. It’s beautiful and big and dripping juice and WOW. It truly is my second favorite under Sugarloaf.

Another Notable variety i tried today was Juicy Peach. Very soft melting sweet flesh. A cross section of the fruit looks like a juicy peach, and it did have some tangerine notes for me. It’s a damn good mango. Moved into my top 10.

johnb51

• USA Deerfield Beach, FL Zone 11a
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: June 15, 2021, 10:02:28 AM »
Well I thought Sugarloaf was king but I think I found a rival: Pineapple Pleasure. I tried my first couple today and I must say it may be the second finest mango I’ve tasted of 75 plus cultivars. It was melting, SWEET, Pineapple cream with a bit of coconut. It’s beautiful and big and dripping juice and WOW. It truly is my second favorite under Sugarloaf.

Another Notable variety i tried today was Juicy Peach. Very soft melting sweet flesh. A cross section of the fruit looks like a juicy peach, and it did have some tangerine notes for me. It’s a damn good mango. Moved into my top 10.
To the Aussies those are probably garbage.  Give 'em KP, Maha Chanok, and Honey Gold!
John

Julie

• Miami, FL, Zone 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: June 15, 2021, 05:39:15 PM »
The sugarloaf I bought ripened up finally and it truly tastes extremely similar to sugarloaf pineapple. Overall very good as well.  Here’s where I’m at right now:

(1) sweet tart/fruit cocktail
(2) sugarloaf
(3) ppk
(4) ceci love

bovine421

• Shake Rag Rd Fl 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: June 15, 2021, 08:19:32 PM »
The sugarloaf I bought ripened up finally and it truly tastes extremely similar to sugarloaf pineapple. Overall very good as well.  Here’s where I’m at right now:

(2) sugarloaf
(3) ppk
(4) ceci love
Have you had orange sherbert yet. I have not had it yet but my tree has about 20 fruit. On my 4th tasting of PPK this season. I finally got one that I could say wow now I understand what they're texting about. Hopefully orange Sherbert is just as good and it seems to be on paper a more manageable tree. Less vigorous than PPK.Cecilove is not propagated by any nurseries that I know of. You may have to get a custom graft order in 1 gallon size. That's what I did plus I've grafted some budwood onto my Malika to have some fruit sooner rather than later :)

JulianoGS

• USA, South Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: June 16, 2021, 12:02:37 PM »

Very nice trees you got there, where at and how much for it?
Aha, so finally Carrie is on your list! 
Be very careful and mindful of what you sow, for whatever a man sows, that he will also reap.

Julie

• Miami, FL, Zone 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: June 16, 2021, 03:31:04 PM »
Yes, Orange Sherbet is #1 in my list still, I have a tree and it dropped all it's fruit this year.  You made the right choice in planting one! Enjoy your harvest!

(2) sugarloaf
(3) ppk
(4) ceci love
Have you had orange sherbert yet. I have not had it yet but my tree has about 20 fruit. On my 4th tasting of PPK this season. I finally got one that I could say wow now I understand what they're texting about. Hopefully orange Sherbert is just as good and it seems to be on paper a more manageable tree. Less vigorous than PPK.Cecilove is not propagated by any nurseries that I know of. You may have to get a custom graft order in 1 gallon size. That's what I did plus I've grafted some budwood onto my Malika to have some fruit sooner rather than later :)

bovine421

• Shake Rag Rd Fl 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: June 16, 2021, 04:47:32 PM »

Very nice trees you got there, where at and how much for it?
Aha, so finally Carrie is on your list!
On my list and in the ground

Honest Abe

• Biscayne Park, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: June 17, 2021, 10:28:35 PM »
I had a “Kathy” today and it’s an excellent mango.
It was dripping juice and VERY sweet and creamy. Low fiber and I tasted a bit of what I call “Andes chocolate mint” close to skin if anyone remembers those dinner mints. I think it’s a damn fine mango. Probably my #5 favorite right now.

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #71 on: June 17, 2021, 10:35:02 PM »
I had a “Kathy” today and it’s an excellent mango.
It was dripping juice and VERY sweet and creamy. Low fiber and I tasted a bit of what I call “Andes chocolate mint” close to skin if anyone remembers those dinner mints. I think it’s a damn fine mango. Probably my #5 favorite right now.

"Love fiber"?  It should have had no fiber.

Never noticed any hint of the flavor of those mall rectagular, green foil wrapped candies in a Kathy.
- Rob

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk