Author Topic: Honey Gold Mango Raising its Profile  (Read 5522 times)

Mike T

• Zone 12a
  • Cairns,Nth Qld, Australia
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
Honey Gold Mango Raising its Profile
« on: January 15, 2013, 07:51:47 AM »

Honey gold is a mango starting to appear in the supermarkets more often in my neck of the woods and is taking some market share from KP.It has good skin color, is sweet and tasty but has pale flesh.Above it is between a nam dok mai and a fairly colorles KP.

durianwriter

• on the durian hunt
    • View Profile
    • Year of the Durian
Re: Honey Gold Mango Raising its Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2013, 11:36:48 AM »
I think I saw that one at a supermarket here in LA, for .69 cents each. Any good? I'll buy a few next time I see them!
www.yearofthedurian.com
Author of:
The Durian Tourist's Guide to Penang
The Durian Tourist's Guide to Thailand

Mike T

• Zone 12a
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2013, 04:41:13 PM »
DW they cost 4 x that here which is crazy considering mango abundance.They are very nice,certainly way better than the trashy R2E2's in the supermarkets and a little more pleasant that a NDM.I reckon they are on par with a kensington pride having a sweet and fruity flavour with no sourness,fiber or turpentine hint.The growers of keitt,kent,brooks and palmer will go further down the tubes with the new mangoes around if they stick with those varieties.It seems those 4 are no longer available in supermarkets even at budget prices.

murahilin

• Administrator
    • USA Greenacres, Florida Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2013, 06:33:10 PM »
I think I saw that one at a supermarket here in LA, for .69 cents each. Any good? I'll buy a few next time I see them!

I doubt that's the same mango you saw in LA for 69 cents. It's a new AU cultivar and the company that is growing it has breeders rights. If it were to make it to the US, I doubt it would be that cheap. You most likely saw some South or Central American mango for sale that cheap.

murahilin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2013, 06:37:58 PM »
DW they cost 4 x that here which is crazy considering mango abundance.They are very nice,certainly way better than the trashy R2E2's in the supermarkets and a little more pleasant that a NDM.I reckon they are on par with a kensington pride having a sweet and fruity flavour with no sourness,fiber or turpentine hint.The growers of keitt,kent,brooks and palmer will go further down the tubes with the new mangoes around if they stick with those varieties.It seems those 4 are no longer available in supermarkets even at budget prices.

It sounds like a pretty good mango. I wish it had that turpentine hint though. Do you know if it's poly?

Mike T

• Zone 12a
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2013, 06:48:17 PM »
It is a poly alright Sheehan.Turpentine is a dirty word in mango circles here and even the turpsy/nasturtium papaya or sour passionfruit are treated with disdain.This mango may appeal more to Asian and Australian palates than those of Americans.It will be cheap pretty soon like Calypsos and others that reduce in price after getting around.

BMc

• Brisbane, Queensland, Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2013, 08:53:29 PM »
They are same price as KP here, though the ones around here are much flatter and way more orange/dark gold. its sweeter than most of the others. Almost a mango honey Ambrosia thing happening. Sometimes too sweet for me. I havent had many (3-4) this year because right now the streets and driveways are paved with mango.

JF

• North OC California Zone 10B/America Tropical 13A
    • 90631/97000
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2013, 09:48:47 PM »

I doubt that's the same mango you saw in LA for 69 cents. It's a new AU cultivar and the company that is growing it has breeders rights. If it were to make it to the US, I doubt it would be that cheap. You most likely saw some South or Central American mango for sale that cheap.

We get mangos from all over the world during winter. In fact, Manilas and Ataulfos are trickling in from Colima and Michoacan Mexico.

murahilin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2013, 09:53:00 PM »
We get mangos from all over the world during winter. In fact, Manilas and Ataulfos are trickling in from Colima and Michoacan Mexico.

I included Mexico when I was referring to Central America, maybe I shouldn't have. But that doesn't change the fact that it is VERY unlikely that Honey Gold mangos from AU are selling in CA, especially for $.69 a fruit. It is most likely a fruit from Mexico, Central America, or SA.

murahilin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2013, 09:56:13 PM »
It is a poly alright Sheehan.Turpentine is a dirty word in mango circles here and even the turpsy/nasturtium papaya or sour passionfruit are treated with disdain.This mango may appeal more to Asian and Australian palates than those of Americans.It will be cheap pretty soon like Calypsos and others that reduce in price after getting around.

A lot of people here dont like mangos with that turpentine taste either but I really enjoy them. Maybe we refer to different things as the turpentine taste?

They are same price as KP here, though the ones around here are much flatter and way more orange/dark gold. its sweeter than most of the others. Almost a mango honey Ambrosia thing happening. Sometimes too sweet for me. I havent had many (3-4) this year because right now the streets and driveways are paved with mango.
Do you know why they are flatter and darker? Does it have to do with the part of the country it is being grown?

JF

• 90631/97000
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 15, 2013, 10:02:47 PM »

I included Mexico when I was referring to Central America, maybe I shouldn't have. But that doesn't change the fact that it is VERY unlikely that Honey Gold mangos from AU are selling in CA, especially for $.69 a fruit. It is most likely a fruit from Mexico, Central America, or SA.

Mexico is part of North America. I'm going to the los angeles wholesale produce market next week. I'll look for that variety.

Mike T

• Zone 12a
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 15, 2013, 10:13:02 PM »
Turpentine is just the word for the hydrocarbon taint/aftertaste present in some mongoes.They are predominantly the monos with strong colors and if you grew up on sweet polys then you can find this a disagreeable taste.The hydrocarbon taint present in some yellow papaya is called 'nasturtium' in the trade.Some consider this element of flavor like tannins in wine giving them 'complexity'.

murahilin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 15, 2013, 10:26:38 PM »

Mexico is part of North America. I'm going to the los angeles wholesale produce market next week. I'll look for that variety.

JF I know that Mexico is part of North America. Central America is also part of the continent of North America. I've seen Mexico considered part of Central America that's why I said "maybe I shouldn't have". If you would like to continue this geography discussion, please PM me. Otherwise, lets talk about fruit. If you do happen the find the Honey Golds, that were recently released in AU, at the wholesale produce market for .69 cents or less a fruit (since its wholesale and all) please let us know. Also, if you don't, please let us know as well.

JF

• 90631/97000
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 15, 2013, 10:34:13 PM »

JF I know that Mexico is part of North America. Central America is also part of the continent of North America. I've seen Mexico considered part of Central America that's why I said "maybe I shouldn't have". If you would like to continue this geography discussion, please PM me. Otherwise, lets talk about fruit. If you do happen the find the Honey Golds, that were recently released in AU, at the wholesale produce market for .69 cents or less a fruit (since its wholesale and all) please let us know. Also, if you don't, please let us know as well.

I sure will, hope I can find it.....I just always consider Mexico as part of North America never heard anyone refer to it as Central America.

murahilin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 15, 2013, 10:50:27 PM »
I sure will, hope I can find it.....I just always consider Mexico as part of North America never heard anyone refer to it as Central America.

I just did some research and unfortunately AU mangos are not allowed to be imported into the US yet. They are working on being approved but the USDA has recommended irradiation treatment for all AU mangos. Maybe within the next few years we will be seeing AU mangos in the stores.

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 16, 2013, 01:07:36 AM »
Sheehan, I am sure most of us will forgive you for preferring mangoes with that turpentiney/resinous taste...
- Rob

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk