Author Topic: Mango Flower Visual Guide?  (Read 611 times)

Oncorhynchus

• SW Florida, 9B
    • View Profile
Mango Flower Visual Guide?
« on: January 30, 2021, 03:04:21 PM »
Does anyone have a link to a good visual guide for mango flowers? Ideally something with macro photos of male flowers, hermaphrodite flowers, fertilized flowers, normal dead flowers, anthracnose flowers, and powdery mildew flowers. I think I’ve been staring at my Rosigold flowers too long and I’m starting to convince myself something is wrong lol. Some of the flowers are turning brown and drying up and I’m not seeing fruitlets, PM, and I don’t think it looks like anthracnose. I’m guessing they were just not pollinated but my mind is wandering lol! I’ve been spraying with sulfur every week or two for PM since it’s been mostly dry but we have had some dewy mornings that make me think I should have chosen copper (I’m nervous about using the two too close together).

Jagmanjoe

• USA, Florida, Lakeland, 9A
    • View Profile
Re: Mango Flower Visual Guide?
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2021, 03:52:39 PM »
Does anyone have a link to a good visual guide for mango flowers? Ideally something with macro photos of male flowers, hermaphrodite flowers, fertilized flowers, normal dead flowers, anthracnose flowers, and powdery mildew flowers. I think I’ve been staring at my Rosigold flowers too long and I’m starting to convince myself something is wrong lol. Some of the flowers are turning brown and drying up and I’m not seeing fruitlets, PM, and I don’t think it looks like anthracnose. I’m guessing they were just not pollinated but my mind is wandering lol! I’ve been spraying with sulfur every week or two for PM since it’s been mostly dry but we have had some dewy mornings that make me think I should have chosen copper (I’m nervous about using the two too close together).

You have concern about using copper and sulphur too close together.  Har did a video this past December where he was using them in the same solution.  I suggest you watch the video but also pay specific attention to the products he is using as I have understood that not all are as compatible as these.  He also speaks of keeping the mix agitated being extremely important.  I have been successful in keeping the sulphur in suspension by utilizing a small boat bilge pump connected to the same battery as my relatively inexpensive spray system.

Here is the link to his video and I hope, while it is not the pictures you were looking for, it is of help for you.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_bpK527Y8JQ

Oncorhynchus

• SW Florida, 9B
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2021, 04:19:06 PM »
Thanks! You are correct about mixing copper and sulfur. I thought I had read of phytotoxicity due to bacteria  eating the sulfur which creates sulfuric acid and lowers the pH of the copper making it toxic to plants but now I can’t find any reference to it. I’ll have to see if I can find some copper soap!

Jagmanjoe

• USA, Florida, Lakeland, 9A
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2021, 06:39:51 PM »
Thanks! You are correct about mixing copper and sulfur. I thought I had read of phytotoxicity due to bacteria  eating the sulfur which creates sulfuric acid and lowers the pH of the copper making it toxic to plants but now I can’t find any reference to it. I’ll have to see if I can find some copper soap!

While I had to purchase 2 1/2 gallons, I bought Cueva from Nutrien AG which has several sites in FL. 

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk