Author Topic: Iso John painter (pine island) cherilata tree  (Read 3180 times)

Iceman716238

• Orlando, FL 9b
    • View Profile
Iso John painter (pine island) cherilata tree
« on: September 10, 2020, 09:48:45 PM »
I contacted them directly and they said that they do not sell these. Does anyone have one for sale or know where I can find one? Thanks!

Satya

• North Miami Beach, FL , Zone 10b
    • View Profile
    • Growing rare tropicals and fruit trees.
Re: Iso John painter (pine island) cherilata tree
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2020, 09:51:26 PM »
I contacted them directly and they said that they do not sell these. Does anyone have one for sale or know where I can find one? Thanks!

i will send you pm. I don't sell but will guide you to right direction.

BoBiscuit

• Ventura, CA 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2020, 10:49:57 PM »
On this topic...anyone know where I could get cherilata scions next March?

Acetogenin

• USA, Orlando, 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2020, 09:14:43 PM »

You guys looking for this?    ;)
I'll sell as many scions as I can later in year in february, locally in deltona, Fl.  won't ship.  PM me then
« Last Edit: September 11, 2020, 09:27:45 PM by Acetogenin »

Iceman716238

• Orlando, FL 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2020, 08:12:07 AM »
I would love to buy scions. My only issue is that I do not have rootstock to graft to😥. That's the only reason that I'd need a grafted tree.

Satya

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2020, 12:21:01 PM »
I am not sure if cherimoya or pond apple or both are good rootstocks for cherilata. You can get pond apple rootstock 1g for $15 at greenplanetfarm.com , i think they ship 1g plants.

I also saw 1g cherimoya for $15 at this other nursery , when i checked a month ago they was willing to ship 4 cherimoyas for medium priority usps shipping - https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1fwuI4lz15BjxLET4-SmwS0b-aeEUpad0EMCeHEEkgB0/edit#gid=758717436 , may be call because this spreadsheet does not seem updated. . Now i am grafting annonas on whatever i already have - atemoyas, illama etc.

Iceman716238

• Orlando, FL 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2020, 04:25:27 PM »
Thanks for the info Satya. I grafted all of the lemon zest and lisa today!!! Looking good. I took an extra lisa and grafted it onto my soursop. Do you think it can take? If so, would the cherilata graft onto soursop as well?

Satya

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2020, 04:33:51 PM »
Thanks for the info Satya. I grafted all of the lemon zest and lisa today!!! Looking good. I took an extra lisa and grafted it onto my soursop. Do you think it can take? If so, would the cherilata graft onto soursop as well?

I have had no experience grafting atemoya on soursop, it may take but time will tell if the grafted scion will thrive, flower after taking ...but more important is that soursop is not a good rootstock due to it's low cold tolerance. My cherilata graft on ilama did push but i have to wait and see how it will perform. The ilama is grafted onto a cherimoya rootstock so it is only an inter-stock now.

Iceman716238

• Orlando, FL 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2020, 05:55:22 PM »

I have had no experience grafting atemoya on soursop, it may take but time will tell if the grafted scion will thrive, flower after taking ...but more important is that soursop is not a good rootstock due to it's low cold tolerance. My cherilata graft on ilama did push but i have to wait and see how it will perform. The ilama is grafted onto a cherimoya rootstock so it is only an inter-stock now.
Thanks, I figured it wouldn't make a good rootstock,  but just a curious experiment! I also side grafted one of the Lisa's o to the geffner(1st time). 
I think I'll wait until spring and buy a cherilata, then graft a illama onto it or vice versa.
How is the taste of your illama? Is it worth it?

Satya

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 12, 2020, 06:00:14 PM »
My Ilama is a pink Guillermo which is supposedly a very good tasting variety but mine is 7ft tall, hasn’t flowered yet. Some say it needs a distinct dry winter to induce flowering which we don’t get here. But i have seen friends who have fruited ilama in FL so i will give 1-2 more years. Can always topwork to some other annona is it doesnt fruit.

Orkine

• Jupiter, FL, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 12, 2020, 07:49:12 PM »
Did you see this post?  Chances are he may have some next spring.

http://tropicalfruitforum.com/index.php?topic=40944.msg402279#msg402279

Satya

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 12, 2020, 08:00:03 PM »
Did you see this post?  Chances are he may have some next spring.

http://tropicalfruitforum.com/index.php?topic=40944.msg402279#msg402279

I have been to Mike’s fruit garden and saw his Cherilata. I am sure it will grow fast and will have more branches to prune by next spring.

BoBiscuit

• Ventura, CA 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 12, 2020, 10:02:20 PM »
Awesome, thanks guys! I'll remember come springtime.

JoeP450

• Mahaha Chinook
    • Palm City FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 12, 2020, 10:51:22 PM »
I have a cherilata I grafted onto soursop if you want, recently potted up into 3gal if you want it for 45$ let me know, live in palm city. I can send a picture of it tomorrow in daylight, cleft grafted beautifully to soursop. I drove 6hrs round trip to Fruitscapes where I bought a 7gallon grafted to pond apple, the cherilata to pond apple does NOT make a good graft union based on the options I had to chose from when I purchased...so I grafted a few onto soursop with great results and have a soursop grafted cherilata planted out in my yard.

-joe

Iceman716238

• Orlando, FL 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 12, 2020, 11:05:57 PM »
I have a cherilata I grafted onto soursop if you want, recently potted up into 3gal if you want it for 45$ let me know, live in palm city. I can send a picture of it tomorrow in daylight, cleft grafted beautifully to soursop. I drove 6hrs round trip to Fruitscapes where I bought a 7gallon grafted to pond apple, the cherilata to pond apple does NOT make a good graft union based on the options I had to chose from when I purchased...so I grafted a few onto soursop with great results and have a soursop grafted cherilata planted out in my yard.

-joe
Where do you live joe?

JoeP450

• Mahaha Chinook
    • Palm City FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 13, 2020, 07:55:23 AM »
Hey Iceman,

As stated previously I live in Palm City, since I made this offer, another forum member contacted me via DM who lives in ft Pierce offering to pick it up today, but I am conflicted as I saw this post of you searching for it and I offered it to you first, so if you want it and can come down today it’s yours If not I’ll sell it to the other guy today. Send me a direct message and we can arrange a time if you want. I’m going to reach out to other guy and let him know if I don’t hear back from you by 2pm today he can purchase it..

Some pics of graft union, also the fruit I have on my other tree.

-Joe

Iceman716238

• Orlando, FL 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 13, 2020, 08:51:13 AM »
Hey Iceman,

As stated previously I live in Palm City, since I made this offer, another forum member contacted me via DM who lives in ft Pierce offering to pick it up today, but I am conflicted as I saw this post of you searching for it and I offered it to you first, so if you want it and can come down today it’s yours If not I’ll sell it to the other guy today. Send me a direct message and we can arrange a time if you want. I’m going to reach out to other guy and let him know if I don’t hear back from you by 2pm today he can purchase it..

Some pics of graft union, also the fruit I have on my other tree.

-Joe

Thanks Joe. I wouldn't be able to pick it up today due to the distance (almost a 4 hour round trip drive). The other guy can have it. I do appreciate the offer.😥😭😭😭

JoeP450

• Mahaha Chinook
    • Palm City FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 13, 2020, 09:11:40 AM »
Alrighty iceman, ideally as you are further north I’d look to get some cherimoya rootstock or reticulata now so when spring rolls around you can try grafting readily available painter cherilata scions. I chose soursop because I have a friend in town that has done it so I knew it would work, in my experience grafting, soursop has slightly thicker cambium vs sugar/cherimoya/reticulata and soursop is a vigorous grower so I think these factors play into it being a highly compatible rootstock.

Good luck man,

Joe

TheGivingTree

• Florida Zone 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 13, 2020, 01:37:14 PM »
Anyone aware of how sugar apple performs as a root stock for species like diversifolia, purpurea, etc.?

Satya

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 13, 2020, 04:12:52 PM »
Anyone aware of how sugar apple performs as a root stock for species like diversifolia, purpurea, etc.?

I got this one from a thread in forum from 2015 about annona rootstocks. Surely this chart needs many revisions and corrections but if expert members like guanabanus step in and help we can make a good excel sheet for the benefit of all growers.

http://tropicalfruitforum.com/index.php?topic=16673.0

Orkine

• Jupiter, FL, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 13, 2020, 09:47:19 PM »
I agree.  I rely on this chart too though I know it is dated.
It will be nice to have an updated chart with some information on longer time performance.

Acetogenin

• USA, Orlando, 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 14, 2020, 12:55:13 PM »
My big 15gal cherilata is grafted onto pond apple.
I also grafted a cherilata 3 wks ago and still alive on cherimoya

bovine421

• Shake Rag Rd Fl 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 14, 2020, 06:32:35 PM »
Well if you get good at replicating this I'll buy a couple from you. I wouldn't mind having one for me and another for a friend but not enough to drive to fruit scape. I'll send you a PM
« Last Edit: September 14, 2020, 06:35:12 PM by bovine421 »
Tete Nene Julie Juliet Carrie Ice Cream Coconut Cream Little Gem  Dot  Mallika PPK  OS  Pina Colada Cotton Candy Buxton Spice Karen Michelle M-4 Beverly Marc Anthony White Pirie Lychee Cherilata Plantain Barbados Cherry

TheGivingTree

• Florida Zone 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 15, 2020, 10:58:16 AM »
Thanks Satya. Will be trying to add to it in the future.

spaugh

• San Diego County California
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 15, 2020, 04:45:40 PM »

I put it on cherimoya tree in April, its grown several feet and set some fruit. 
Brad Spaugh

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk