Author Topic: What Mamey Varieties are you growing in Florida?  (Read 30018 times)

Guanabanus

• SE Palm Beach County, East of I-95, Elevation 18'
    • USA, Florida, Boynton Beach, 33435, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
Re: What Mamey Varieties are you growing in Florida?
« Reply #75 on: March 04, 2012, 12:00:34 PM »
About the purple-pulped mamey-sapote, I thought it was too dark to be attractive, and not particularly good eating.  It was just a botanical oddity. I failed to add that observation to my notes at the time, so now don't know which variety it was.

As to what happened to some of those varieties, I don't know, as I have not been to the evaluation plots for the last 11 years.

'Lorito':  Seaon in Yucatán is Dec-Feb, which is very early and long.  Small- and medium-sized fruits, very red flesh, creamy texture with no fiber or grit, excellent   flavor.

'Marín':   Season in Yucatán is Feb-Mar, which is early to mid.  Large long fruits, standout-red flesh, firm-creamy texture with little fiber, excellent flavor.
              Of the 25 selections he had made from the surrounding area, this was Eduardo Marín's favorite.  He started out calling it 'Nuevas.'

'Felipe Mayo':  One of five selections Marín made on farm of Felipe Dominguez.  Season in Yucatán is May, late.  As late season mamey-sapotes there are usually wormy, this variety's claim to faim is that it is worm-free, due to its exceptionally tough skin.
Har

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #76 on: March 04, 2012, 07:49:11 PM »
Thanks Har. Interesting about the purple mamey. Even if it was not so good tasting seems like some breeding work could have been done to preserve unique color and improve the taste. Folks always interested in unique new colors of fruits. Although here in Hawaii the mamey is not at all popular. There is only one farm that has 150 mamey trees and they have a hard time selling them all. I think it is a fruit that has mostly regional Cuban/latino interest. Not too many latinos here.
Oscar
Oscar

Fruitguy

• Zone 10b - Miami, FL
    • United States, Miami,Florida Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: March 13, 2012, 08:48:43 AM »
Have you tasted a viejo mamey?

Yes, I've had them several times.  I really like them both taste-wise and flesh-color-wise, and they are small enough to eat an entire fruit in one sitting, assuming that you like mamey out of hand. They may not be quite as sweet as my seedling mamey ('Magana' type), but they are certainly sweet enough.  I think it is a winner.

Would LOVE to see the purple-colored mamey!!!  :)

adiel

• Zone 10b Miami FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: March 13, 2012, 09:01:26 AM »
About the purple-pulped mamey-sapote, I thought it was too dark to be attractive, and not particularly good eating.  It was just a botanical oddity. I failed to add that observation to my notes at the time, so now don't know which variety it was.

As to what happened to some of those varieties, I don't know, as I have not been to the evaluation plots for the last 11 years.

'Lorito':  Seaon in Yucatán is Dec-Feb, which is very early and long.  Small- and medium-sized fruits, very red flesh, creamy texture with no fiber or grit, excellent   flavor.

'Marín':   Season in Yucatán is Feb-Mar, which is early to mid.  Large long fruits, standout-red flesh, firm-creamy texture with little fiber, excellent flavor.
              Of the 25 selections he had made from the surrounding area, this was Eduardo Marín's favorite.  He started out calling it 'Nuevas.'

'Felipe Mayo':  One of five selections Marín made on farm of Felipe Dominguez.  Season in Yucatán is May, late.  As late season mamey-sapotes there are usually wormy, this variety's claim to faim is that it is worm-free, due to its exceptionally tough skin.

Har, thanks for the info on those cultivars.  There seems to be much more advancement in Yucatan than in Florida when it comes to developing new mamey varieties.   Mexico has some new interesting ones such as Cid, dario, diaz, Genaro, juanito, pardo I, II Y III, regalo and risueño.  We will see if someday someone can introduce some of these newer cultivars to Florida (and California).
Adiel

Felipe

• Global Moderator
    • Canary Islands, Spain - 12b
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: March 13, 2012, 08:54:32 PM »
Adiel,

where do you have this information from?? Any links or files?  I would love to hear more about those cultivars ;)

alexgardens

• USA, St. Petersburg, Florida, Zone 9B (maybe 10A)
    • View Profile
    • NBAtipoff
« Reply #80 on: December 30, 2014, 05:13:33 PM »
A purple mamey?!?!?! How cool! :)

FMfruitforest

• Tropical Fruit
    • USA, FL,zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: May 19, 2021, 07:33:57 AM »
Is Mamey a fruit that needs to be bagged from fruit flys?

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk