Author Topic: why can't I lose weight  (Read 3577 times)

achetadomestica

• FLORIDA 9b
    • View Profile
why can't I lose weight
« on: September 10, 2020, 10:45:09 PM »

Plantinyum

• Bulgaria , near Sofia city , planting zone 7
    • View Profile
Re: why can't I lose weight
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2020, 12:02:22 AM »
Lollll ,just keep helping the trees lose weight .😅

bovine421

• Shake Rag Rd Fl 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2020, 08:29:28 AM »
Sometimes you just have to close your pie hole and breathe LOL
Tete Nene Julie Juliet Carrie Ice Cream Coconut Cream Little Gem  Dot  Mallika PPK  OS  Pina Colada Cotton Candy Buxton Spice Karen Michelle M-4 Beverly Marc Anthony White Pirie Lychee Cherilata Plantain Barbados Cherry

johnb51

• USA Deerfield Beach, FL Zone 11a
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2020, 09:22:53 AM »
Do you think the sugar in fruit makes people fat?  I've always thought it was all the other unhealthy processed foods they eat--all the dead carbs without any fiber, minerals, or vitamins, and deep-fried foods.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2020, 09:35:55 AM by johnb51 »
John

Plantinyum

• Bulgaria , near Sofia city , planting zone 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2020, 09:46:17 AM »
Do you think the sugar in fruit makes people fat?  I've always thought it was all the other unhealthy processed foods they eat--all the dead carbs without any fiber, minerals, or vitamins, and deep-fried foods.
I have heard that sugar in fruits plays a role In fattening 😅😅 no matter if its bio or synthetic sugar, if its in big amount ,it sticks ...... at least I think so ...

johnb51

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2020, 10:05:07 AM »
I have heard that sugar in fruits plays a role In fattening 😅😅 no matter if its bio or synthetic sugar, if its in big amount ,it sticks ...... at least I think so ...
I guess if you were eating ten mangos, that would be a lot of sugar!  But something reasonable like 2 medium or 3 small should be good for your health.
John

simon_grow

• USA, San Diego, CA, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2020, 10:41:29 AM »
Your wrists are too skinny, eat away! Once your wrists get the jelly rolls like a fat 2 year old baby, then you may want to consider backing down to not more than 10 annona fruits a day.

Simon

Tommyng

• Acreage florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2020, 11:01:19 AM »
Some people demonize fruits because they contain sugar but unless you are a severe diabetic the fibers and vitamins present in whole fruits offset some of the risks they pose.
Don’t rush, take time and enjoy life and food.

johnb51

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2020, 11:33:25 AM »
Some people demonize fruits because they contain sugar but unless you are a severe diabetic the fibers and vitamins present in whole fruits offset some of the risks they pose.
An excessive and gluttonous amount of any good food will have a negative effect on your health, but I'd think a healthy individual would benefit from 2-3 lb. of fruit a day.
John

Longranger

• USA, Bonsall Ca
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 11, 2020, 11:53:26 AM »
Many of the fruits we love are dessert fruits that are very high in sugar and calories. A couple of cherimoyas has as many calories as a slice of cheesecake. So heck yeah they can cause weight gain if we eat them like they are low calorie Vegatables. Same with other Annona, litchis, sweet mangoes, grapes etc.. many offer a great dose of vitamins and fiber but that does not cancel out the calories. Life is just not fair😭

bovine421

• Shake Rag Rd Fl 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 11, 2020, 12:03:16 PM »
Many of the fruits we love are dessert fruits that are very high in sugar and calories. A couple of cherimoyas has as many calories as a slice of cheesecake. So heck yeah they can cause weight gain if we eat them like they are low calorie Vegatables. Same with other Annona, litchis, sweet mangoes, grapes etc.. many offer a great dose of vitamins and fiber but that does not cancel out the calories. Life is just not fair😭
You are so right! That's what I tell the young people when they say it's not fair. I say one week out of the year the county has a fair. Its fair all week unless your best friend rides on the ferris wheel with the bearded lady. Then it's not so fair! >:(
Tete Nene Julie Juliet Carrie Ice Cream Coconut Cream Little Gem  Dot  Mallika PPK  OS  Pina Colada Cotton Candy Buxton Spice Karen Michelle M-4 Beverly Marc Anthony White Pirie Lychee Cherilata Plantain Barbados Cherry

johnb51

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 11, 2020, 12:24:18 PM »
My question would be:  does the body process two cherimoyas for breakfast the same way it does a slice of cheesecake on top of a heavy dinner?  To a nutritionist it's only about counting calories, but I wonder if the body isn't smarter than that.
John

Triloba Tracker

• Psalms 104:14
    • USA, Middle Tennessee, Zone 7a
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 11, 2020, 01:10:52 PM »
My question would be:  does the body process two cherimoyas for breakfast the same way it does a slice of cheesecake on top of a heavy dinner?  To a nutritionist it's only about counting calories, but I wonder if the body isn't smarter than that.

Definitely the body is smarter than that.  Eat the dadgum fruit.  ;D All things in moderation.
All calories and sources of sugar are not the same. See Gary Taubes for more info.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2020, 08:26:30 AM by Triloba Tracker »

FMfruitforest

• Tropical Fruit
    • USA, FL,zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 12, 2020, 06:02:17 AM »
No added fat, sugar or salt in fresh fruit

W.

• United States, Alabama, 7b
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 13, 2020, 04:28:30 AM »
I thought lychees were relatively low in calories, similar to grapes, and I seem to remember (from a period were I was carefully monitoring my caloric intake) that grapes are about 6 calories each. Obviously a grape with a high brix reading, like Cotton Candy and the other Grapery developed varieties, will be a little bit higher. Annonas, mangoes, and mamey sapote have a higher calorie count. Still, one cheeseburger equals over 100 grapes or two or three mangoes (depending on size).

Also, for pure weight loss, calorie count is the only thing that matters, not what those calories came from. A nutritionist did a demonstration a few years ago where he ate nothing but candy bars and other junk food and lost weight because he consumed far less than the recommended daily allowance of calories. He did not recommend following his example.

I guess the moral is to eat plenty of fruit.

Triloba Tracker

• Psalms 104:14
    • USA, Middle Tennessee, Zone 7a
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 13, 2020, 09:04:12 AM »
Hey W!

Yes certainly the prevailing approach to weight loss is to consume fewer calories than you burn. This has been the paradigm for decades.
In recent years there have been some who’ve offered criticism of this view. Gary Taubes as mentioned above is one. The documentary Fed Up touches on it too. A lot of this has to do with the role of added sugars in the diet.

Tommyng

• Acreage florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 13, 2020, 09:16:23 AM »

It’s not all about calories. More concerning are insulin spikes that foods represent. Fibers associated with fruits damper much of the sharp spikes associated with processed sugars, which is a prime culprit in diabetes.
Don’t rush, take time and enjoy life and food.

bovine421

• Shake Rag Rd Fl 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 13, 2020, 11:42:34 AM »

It’s not all about calories. More concerning are insulin spikes that foods represent. Fibers associated with fruits damper much of the sharp spikes associated with processed sugars, which is a prime culprit in diabetes.
They say the average American has 17 teaspoons of sugar a day I'm just curious what do you think is the amount in one 1 pound fiberless mango?

bovine421

• Shake Rag Rd Fl 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 13, 2020, 04:01:14 PM »
Apparently eating fruit whole or smoothies doesn’t give sugar rush as it is joint with the fruit fibre and pulp. Sugar is released slowly into the body.
Mangoes score 51–56 on the glycemic index (GI) chart, similar to orange juice. The American Diabetes Association

What is the glycemic index?
The glycemic index (GI) tells you how quickly foods containing carbohydrates affect your blood sugar level when eaten by themselves. According to the American Diabetes Association (ADA), GI scores are rated as:

Low: 55 or below
Moderate: 56 to 69
High: 70 and above

Guava 24
Orange 51
Banana 51
Mango 51
Pineapple 54
Plum 39
Strawberry 4
Peach 42
Nectarine 43
Apricot 46
Grape 46
Dates 46

Eating dates in moderation is unlikely to raise a person's blood sugar excessively, even if they have diabetes. According to one study, dates are a low glycemic index food that does not result in significant increases in blood sugar in people with or without diabetes

Consuming one or even two mangoes a day is fine,” says Bawri, who also advises diabetic patients to avoid juices and eat mangoes with the pulp, as it has fiber which reduces the amount of sugar consumed

Is agave worse than Sugar?

The agave plant is native to the Southern United States and Latin America.

Although agave is a new phenomenon in the West, it has been used in Mexico for hundreds — and perhaps thousands — of years.

Traditionally, agave was believed to have medicinal properties. Its sap was also boiled to produce a sweetener known as miel de agave (1).

The sugars in agave are also fermented to make tequila.
Agave is a potential alternative to table sugar and other sweeteners. Its low glycemic index (GI), between 10 and 19 depending on the product.

The higher the GI of a food is, the faster the increase in blood glucose after eating it. Agave has a lower GI than most other sweeteners, which means that it is less likely to cause blood sugar spikes.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2020, 05:10:26 PM by bovine421 »

bovine421

• Shake Rag Rd Fl 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 13, 2020, 05:19:27 PM »
Apparently eating fruit whole or smoothies doesn’t give sugar rush as it is joint with the fruit fibre and pulp. Sugar is released slowly into the body.
Mangoes score 51–56 on the glycemic index (GI) chart, similar to orange juice. The American Diabetes Association

What is the glycemic index?
The glycemic index (GI) tells you how quickly foods containing carbohydrates affect your blood sugar level when eaten by themselves. According to the American Diabetes Association (ADA), GI scores are rated as:

Low: 55 or below
Moderate: 56 to 69
High: 70 and above

Guava 24
Orange 51
Banana 51
Mango 51
Pineapple 54
Plum 39
Strawberry 4
Peach 42
Nectarine 43
Apricot 46
Grape 46
Dates 46

Eating dates in moderation is unlikely to raise a person's blood sugar excessively, even if they have diabetes. According to one study, dates are a low glycemic index food that does not result in significant increases in blood sugar in people with or without diabetes

Is agave worse than Sugar?

The agave plant is native to the Southern United States and Latin America.

Although agave is a new phenomenon in the West, it has been used in Mexico for hundreds — and perhaps thousands — of years.

Traditionally, agave was believed to have medicinal properties. Its sap was also boiled to produce a sweetener known as miel de agave (1).

The sugars in agave are also fermented to make tequila.
Agave is a potential alternative to table sugar and other sweeteners. Its low glycemic index (GI), between 10 and 19 depending on the product.

The higher the GI of a food is, the faster the increase in blood glucose after eating it. Agave has a lower GI than most other sweeteners, which means that it is less likely to cause blood sugar spikes.

Agave sounds good. To be healthier, I'm trying to stop buying sugar and salt from supermarket altogether.
Agave sounds good Tequila sounds better. Not! LOL
I did not know any of this an hour ago. By asking my Google Assistant good questions I do now.Should be interesting to hear from other members that have more experience with these issues :)
« Last Edit: September 13, 2020, 05:22:06 PM by bovine421 »

johnb51

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 13, 2020, 06:53:03 PM »
Also, for pure weight loss, calorie count is the only thing that matters, not what those calories came from. A nutritionist did a demonstration a few years ago where he ate nothing but candy bars and other junk food and lost weight because he consumed far less than the recommended daily allowance of calories. He did not recommend following his example.
The McDonalds/Hershey/CocaCola Diet.  Yum!
John

W.

• United States, Alabama, 7b
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 15, 2020, 08:42:26 PM »

Truly, the breakfast of champions right there.

Actually, if I remember correctly, he avoided fast food because burgers and fries, while not exactly nutritious, have some protein and trace amounts of other nutrients. I also think he avoided sodas because it would have been impossible to consume a low calorie diet if he was guzzling down hundreds of calories worth of soda. He went purely for candy bars and the junkiest of junk food. Needless to say, while he lost weight, he felt terrible.

johnb51

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 15, 2020, 09:26:41 PM »

Truly, the breakfast of champions right there.

Actually, if I remember correctly, he avoided fast food because burgers and fries, while not exactly nutritious, have some protein and trace amounts of other nutrients. I also think he avoided sodas because it would have been impossible to consume a low calorie diet if he was guzzling down hundreds of calories worth of soda. He went purely for candy bars and the junkiest of junk food. Needless to say, while he lost weight, he felt terrible.
He gets even better.  Candy bars only!
John

VirginiaHart

• USA,FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 10, 2023, 06:30:58 AM »
Lol, so relatable

wagatanga

• LA, CA
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 10, 2023, 06:41:05 AM »
I totally get your struggle. It can be frustrating, right? I've been there too. Sometimes, it's not just about diet and exercise; other factors like stress, sleep, and even genetics can play a role. Don't give up; keep trying, and maybe consult a professional (like a Reverse Health consultant) if needed. You got this!
« Last Edit: October 12, 2023, 05:34:33 AM by wagatanga »