Author Topic: Kadsura Coccinea, seedlings of 7 varieties  (Read 956 times)

nattyfroootz

• Santa Cruz California
    • View Profile
Kadsura Coccinea, seedlings of 7 varieties
« on: April 05, 2021, 10:18:16 PM »
How's it going TFF?

I have some really beautiful seedlings that have sized up and are ready for sale! Check out my website for some more information and to purchase.

https://www.wildlandsplants.com/shop/p/kadsura-coccinea

« Last Edit: May 02, 2021, 04:01:39 PM by nattyfroootz »
Grow cooler fruits

www.wildlandsplants.com

nattyfroootz

• Santa Cruz California
    • View Profile
Re: Kadsura Coccinea, seedlings of 7 varieties
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2021, 03:59:55 PM »
Green, Oval and Ice White Kadsura are now 42$.

Shaka brah!
Grow cooler fruits

www.wildlandsplants.com

W.

• United States, Alabama, 7b
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2021, 04:10:50 PM »
I bought a few Kadsura coccinea seeds from Trade Winds last spring, like a few other forum members. It did not seem like they were the easiest plant to germinate, probably because none of us knew much about it. I know you got your seeds from a different source, but I am curious as to what your germination rate was? Did you find them easy to germinate?

Mike T

• Zone 12a
  • Cairns,Nth Qld, Australia
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2021, 04:40:22 PM »
Almost 10 years ago I got a couple of batches of seeds of top types of each of the different coloured types. Very few seeds germinated and the small plants were slow growing and frail.

nattyfroootz

• Santa Cruz California
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2021, 06:23:04 PM »
I think it's really all about making sure you have fresh seeds. I had purchased some seeds two years ago that you could see were not viable upon arrival.  Although, this time I had nearly 95% germination. Germination was very easy and a couple days before the 40 day expected germination time.  There is a facebook group, ' Kadsura - 黑老虎 ' that has some good info from people who are more familiar with the plant.

I treat them as I treat most of my seeds; in a tupperware container, coco coir medium dampened, sealed lid until first germinants start to show, crack the lid slightly until cotyledons show, when cotyledons show gradually work lid off, moving it to allow more air in over a span of 3 or 4 days. When you remove the plants to a new container depends greatly on what genus/species you are working with but kadsura seemed good until first true leaves started to show.

The plants seem pretty vigorous, might have to start up potting out of 4" soon (prices & shipping increase) :(
« Last Edit: May 02, 2021, 06:28:36 PM by nattyfroootz »
Grow cooler fruits

www.wildlandsplants.com

ManVFruit

• San Diego, California
    • View Profile
    • MANvFRUIT
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2021, 07:21:36 PM »
Almost 10 years ago I got a couple of batches of seeds of top types of each of the different coloured types. Very few seeds germinated and the small plants were slow growing and frail.

Perhaps you got a bad batch of seeds? They are one of the easiest to germinate, very slow to grow after that but they seem to hold off very well even when I forget to water them as often as I would like to.

My first attempt 5 seeds, 4 germinated. Kadsura seeds are very well priced on eBay and Etsy. I am told they look interesting but don't taste that good.

nattyfroootz

• Santa Cruz California
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2021, 12:42:59 AM »
I heard that they are sweet and pleasant although not a whole lot to eat.  Definitely interesting enough to look at that it certainly has some value in culinary uses.  Very stoked to be seeing this around more in peoples gardens.
Grow cooler fruits

www.wildlandsplants.com

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk