Author Topic: Mango Tree Bark Came Out  (Read 1993 times)

masterking

• INDIA
    • View Profile
Mango Tree Bark Came Out
« on: August 10, 2019, 09:46:28 AM »
hi everyone, I have a mango tree of 14 years. Before six months, something bite the mango tree or it happened normally. The bark of one side came out. I thought it would heel. But, now it seems the bark area become large.

Also, there is some termites formed around the tree.  I cleaned everything and poured some pesticides and round that with polytape.

Is there any other solution.

simon_grow

• USA, San Diego, CA, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
Re: Mango Tree Bark Came Out
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2019, 03:11:00 PM »
You can clean up the rough edges some more and if you know how to graft, you can perform a bridge graft.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=_f9u0gdxxLM
Simon

Tropicdude

• Broward County, Florida, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2019, 03:43:57 PM »
looking close at the picture I noticed that there seems to be another layer of bark underneath the top one.  the one below seems to have healed over in the past.  I wonder if this could have been caused by lightning ?   anyway,  bridge graft as Simon mentioned should work.   you might want to see if you can bridge the inner bark.
William
" The best time to plant a tree is 20 years ago.....The second best time, is now ! "

masterking

• INDIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2019, 04:55:37 PM »
looking close at the picture I noticed that there seems to be another layer of bark underneath the top one.  the one below seems to have healed over in the past.  I wonder if this could have been caused by lightning ?   anyway,  bridge graft as Simon mentioned should work.   you might want to see if you can bridge the inner bark.
Yes, The inner layer is somewhat good and healed. But, Only problem is the termites spreading all over and the bark again started to lose.

Don't know the cause of it. I was thinking about woodpecker maybe. 

masterking

• INDIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2019, 04:58:41 PM »
You can clean up the rough edges some more and if you know how to graft, you can perform a bridge graft.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=_f9u0gdxxLM
Simon

The tree is big, otherparts are doing ok. As Tropicdude said, inner layer is showing as healed. But, i will try this grafting. Can i take the piece from the top layer of the tree.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2019, 05:02:26 PM by masterking »

simon_grow

• USA, San Diego, CA, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2019, 05:14:21 PM »
I haven’t personally tried this myself but from my grafting experience, you should be able to use a watersprout or or another small diameter branch. Depending on how many graft you intend to place, you can put the bridge graft slanted to cover more surface area. There are lots of other repair or bridge graft videos on YouTube.

Simon

pineislander

• Bokeelia, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2019, 07:35:19 PM »
I agree it could well have been a woodpecker searching for insects.
This is related but I recently took this photo of a mango tree healing after severe injury. The tree scraped against the posts while being bent over and whipped around in Hurricane Irma September 2017. The callous has almost closed up the injury and if it continues the tree should be fully recovered in a year or so.

OCchris1

• Old Towne Orange, CA 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2019, 01:44:54 AM »
Looks like severe termite damage to me. Good luck
-Chris

OCchris1

• Old Towne Orange, CA 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2019, 01:52:16 AM »
I had similar damage to an African tulip tree (orange color). The tree bounced back in no time. Conversely, I had a Mango tree come down with some "likely fungal/bacterial" infection, I treated it quickly with some Alliette wdg fungicide, and the trees truck base cracked and the tree died a month later. Go figure
-Chris

Mango_Seed

• Zone 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2019, 03:44:04 AM »
Looks like a tiki carver hit your tree and only finished the mouth. Like a graffiti artist they get spooked easily

Coach62

• Naples, FL Zone 10a
    • View Profile
    • Naples Home Inspections
« Reply #10 on: August 11, 2019, 11:34:46 AM »
Fipronil is the best chemical for termites, but I wouldn’t use it if there’s fruit on the tree.
www.ableinspector.com

Stop New Yorking my Florida!

Bruce

masterking

• INDIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 19, 2019, 01:09:25 PM »
Thanks for everyone. After using some fungicide and covered with polytape for a month. Tree somewhat healed and doing good.

There comes "iguana" it ate all termites. Only problem is i have to cut the places where the termites are hiding and iguana does the rest

monkeyfish

• tampa bay
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 20, 2019, 01:43:58 AM »
Just wanted to second the lightning hypothesis, I had a mango tree struck about five years ago, four inch diameter trunk about three feet up, it looked very similar, bark blown off, but my tree was cracked all the way through, fallen over and leaning on the hedge.  I did nothing with it, its still growing and it produced a few fruits this year.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk