Author Topic: caught rat in the cage - what to do with it  (Read 10425 times)

850FL

• zone 8b/9a
    • View Profile
Re: caught rat in the cage - what to do with it
« Reply #50 on: March 06, 2021, 08:15:31 PM »
Rats ain’t so snuggly with disease in mind..
« Last Edit: March 08, 2021, 10:39:15 PM by 850FL »

BonsaiBeast

• San Diego CA, USDA zone 10a, sunset zone 24
    • View Profile
    • BonsaiBeast
« Reply #51 on: March 06, 2021, 09:36:41 PM »
I catch and release them.
In fact i even released otther people rats from traps without them knowing.

That's horrible....
Drowning them or pellet gun works fine.

I think drowning animals is pretty horrible

850FL

• zone 8b/9a
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: March 07, 2021, 08:14:44 AM »

That's horrible....

I think ravaging bird-eating vermin is worse

BonsaiBeast

• View Profile
    • BonsaiBeast
« Reply #53 on: March 07, 2021, 12:42:45 PM »

That's horrible....

What is bird-eating vermin?

850FL

• zone 8b/9a
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: March 07, 2021, 03:23:18 PM »

That's horrible....

What is bird-eating vermin?
Predatory rats

monkeyfish

• tampa bay
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: March 07, 2021, 05:03:54 PM »

Its good to consider various opinions, its also good to consider a few facts:

Catching a rodent in a box trap and putting the trap in the pond for drowning is effective but illegal.

"Most animal protection laws are enacted and enforced at the state level."

"Each of the 50 states now has a felony animal cruelty law on the books. Each state determines what constitutes cruelty, and the penalties for committing cruelty."

https://aldf.org/article/laws-that-protect-animals/

"If you witness someone drowning an animal, please contact your local authorities immediately. Drowning animals—wild or domestic—is a crime."

https://www.peta.org/issues/wildlife/cruel-wildlife-control/drowning-cruelty/

Relocation seems humane, but you have to be careful. For example, in California it is strictly verboten.

https://www.discoverwildcare.org/wildlife-resources/trapping-and-relocating-wildlife/

In Florida we have, in part:

"Nuisance wildlife may only be released if:

1. The nuisance wildlife is released on the property of the landowner provided the release site and capture site are located on one contiguous piece of property, or

2. The nuisance wildlife is a native species; and,

3. The property where the nuisance animal is to be released is located within the county of capture and is a minimum of 40 contiguous acres; and,

4. The person releasing the nuisance wildlife is in possession, at time of release, of written permission from the property owner allowing such action."

https://myfwc.com/conservation/you-conserve/wildlife/relocate/

K-Rimes

• Santa Barbara
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: March 07, 2021, 05:36:40 PM »
Catch and release seems humane, but I think CA kind of has it right here with their laws. If you re-locate most mammals far from their den, you will assure their death in an unknown area - no food, no water, no den. Rodents and the like are probably going to fare well, but raccoons probably not.

I would prefer to quickly kill something as humanely as I can rather than mess around with re-locating them for another longer death due to environmental factors and be sure it's done with. I trap gophers, rats, and mice all around my trees just the same as I trap or kill insects that damage my fruit and collection. There is plenty of land for them, just not directly around my stuff.

zands

• mango_zango
    • Zone 10b, Florida, USA, 33321
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: March 07, 2021, 06:04:11 PM »
This thread is amusing. If you cannot kill a rat that has invaded your property and fruit trees then you are pathetic. Drown it shoot it whatever. Perhaps you are too much vegan or vegetarian.

Do not release. Do them in.

BonsaiBeast

• View Profile
    • BonsaiBeast
« Reply #58 on: March 07, 2021, 08:43:23 PM »
This thread is amusing. If you cannot kill a rat that has invaded your property and fruit trees then you are pathetic. Drown it shoot it whatever. Perhaps you are too much vegan or vegetarian.

Nah. Dont drown it. It's immoral and illegal.

bovine421

• Shake Rag Rd Fl 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: March 07, 2021, 09:34:15 PM »

Nah. Dont drown it. It's immoral and illegal.

Not if you drown them in soy sauce! At least not in California
Tete Nene Julie Juliet Carrie Ice Cream Coconut Cream Little Gem  Dot  Mallika PPK  OS  Pina Colada Cotton Candy Buxton Spice Karen Michelle M-4 Beverly Marc Anthony White Pirie Lychee Cherilata Plantain Barbados Cherry

Epicatt2

• Fruit forest in progress . . .
    • Tampa, FL / Zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: March 08, 2021, 12:37:21 AM »
Rats can easily survive a 30 foot fall and walk away from it.

Keep this fact in mind if you are planning to dispatch a rat by whacking it against a hard surface (or if whacking it with a solid object of some sort).

It's swift and instantaneous that way, and IMO a better alternative than allowing them the run of one's property so that they can continue to breed and bring along diseases like hanta virus, etc.

Just FWIW...

Paul M.
==

bovine421

• Shake Rag Rd Fl 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: March 08, 2021, 08:21:34 AM »
True rat story a couple summers ago I was home off of work I hear a bling bling bling. So I'm thinking what in the world is my neighbor Ken doing? As I focus on the sound I realize it is my AC unit. I go outside and realize something is in the fan. So as i been over to look. At that moment the rat gets back in the fan and I proceeded to get blood and guts all over my face. Thankfully I breathe through my nose as I pull rat intestines off my face and wash the blood off I'm thinking I have a problem. >:(
I do not advise throwing a rat into a fan.lol
I have another rat story about when my older brother decided to put a flex hose on the muffler of his truck and stick it in a rat hole in  the chicken coop.
To make the story short it's not a pleasant experience to have a rat try to run up your pants leg when you're 7 years old. Thankfully he had the foresight to give me a hand  gun and thankfully I didn't shoot myself in the foot or leg :)
« Last Edit: March 08, 2021, 08:46:24 AM by bovine421 »
Tete Nene Julie Juliet Carrie Ice Cream Coconut Cream Little Gem  Dot  Mallika PPK  OS  Pina Colada Cotton Candy Buxton Spice Karen Michelle M-4 Beverly Marc Anthony White Pirie Lychee Cherilata Plantain Barbados Cherry

Plantinyum

• Bulgaria , near Sofia city , planting zone 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: March 08, 2021, 10:03:19 AM »
True rat story a couple summers ago I was home off of work I hear a bling bling bling. So I'm thinking what in the world is my neighbor Ken doing? As I focus on the sound I realize it is my AC unit. I go outside and realize something is in the fan. So as i been over to look. At that moment the rat gets back in the fan and I proceeded to get blood and guts all over my face. Thankfully I breathe through my nose as I pull rat intestines off my face and wash the blood off I'm thinking I have a problem. >:(
I have another rat story about when my older brother decided to put a flex hose on the muffler of his truck and stick it in a rat hole in  the chicken coop.
To make the story short it's not a pleasant experience to have a rat try to run up your pants leg when you're 7 years old. Thankfully he had the foresight to give me a hand  gun and thankfully I didn't shoot myself in the foot or leg :)
thats just grouse about the fan rat , that story makes me hate them even more.....as someone said above ,they can live theyr shitty lives in other yards around ,where people dont care they even exist. Its the fact that our fruit geek yards are so rich in different food supplies ,they naturally target them....

bovine421

• Shake Rag Rd Fl 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: March 08, 2021, 01:58:32 PM »
thats just grouse about the fan rat , that story makes me hate them even more.....as someone said above ,they can live theyr shitty lives in other yards around ,where people dont care they even exist. Its the fact that our fruit geek yards are so rich in different food supplies ,they naturally target them....
Usually people who like to quote and tell others about the law are the same people who rip that do not remove tag off their mattress or speed on the freeway.
Do you know who else likes rats? Snakes if you live next to water and you want a water moccasin on your back porch. Let the rats have free run :)

850FL

• zone 8b/9a
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: March 08, 2021, 10:37:21 PM »
Got startled by something in the brush today and ended up knocking a rat with a quick bare hand blow. Was that wrong to do..? A little creeped about hantavirus but i didn't want it getting away.. wont be doin that again..

bovine421

• Shake Rag Rd Fl 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: March 09, 2021, 10:56:56 AM »
Got startled by something in the brush today and ended up knocking a rat with a quick bare hand blow. Was that wrong to do..? A little creeped about hantavirus but i didn't want it getting away.. wont be doin that again..
You did the right thing brother!
I have a friend who was stationed in the Philippines and claims he forgot to wash his mustache after eating chow. In the middle of the night  a rat latch on to his upper lip so he claims I wasn't there to verify it.
On a cool morning many years ago I got hot in my sleeping  bag and unzipped it. A snake crawled on my chest to absorb my body heat. Then after an eternity slithered off on his merry way. :o
« Last Edit: March 09, 2021, 11:00:48 AM by bovine421 »

Forester

• Zone 4 Russia
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: March 09, 2021, 12:09:15 PM »
In our country, there is an effective way to get rats out of the house forever. If you managed to catch a live rat, you need to burn its fur with matches or a lighter so that this unbearable smell spreads as widely as possible, after which the rat is released in the place where it was caught, and very soon all other rats leave your land.
❀ Sergey ❀

bovine421

• Shake Rag Rd Fl 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: March 09, 2021, 12:25:03 PM »
In our country, there is an effective way to get rats out of the house forever. If you managed to catch a live rat, you need to burn its fur with matches or a lighter so that this unbearable smell spreads as widely as possible, after which the rat is released in the place where it was caught, and very soon all other rats leave your land.
Heck yeah I truly believe that would work.
With my luck the rat would Escape before I fully extinguished his hair being on fire and run into the hay barn

« Last Edit: March 09, 2021, 12:29:45 PM by bovine421 »

Forester

• Zone 4 Russia
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: March 09, 2021, 12:40:37 PM »
Heck yeah I truly believe that would work.
With my luck the rat would Escape before I fully extinguished his hair being on fire and run into the hay barn

Yes dude, you have to be very skilled, otherwise the whole city will burn down!  ;D ;D ;D
❀ Sergey ❀

lebmung

• Romania, Bucharest,7b (inside city 8a)
    • View Profile
    • Plante tropicale
« Reply #69 on: March 09, 2021, 01:15:38 PM »
Don't kill animals, judgement day will come and you will end up in hell!

bovine421

• Shake Rag Rd Fl 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: March 09, 2021, 01:43:00 PM »
Wait a minute I'm an animal. Rats are vermin!
Theologically speaking do all good rats go to hell

K-Rimes

• Santa Barbara
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: March 09, 2021, 01:50:56 PM »

Hell is when varmints eat my fruit or kill my seedlings.

Epicatt2

• Fruit forest in progress . . .
    • Tampa, FL / Zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: March 09, 2021, 02:15:17 PM »

If by killing rats (or squirrels) which are marauding my fruit and vegetable gardens I were threatening the entire species then I would think twice about doing so.  But as I only reduce the local populations of those marauders and know that more will eventually migrate in from surrounding areas (i.e., nature abhors a vacuum), I have no compunction against offing the ones that come into and forage on my garden's produce, ruining my fruit and veggies.

Even so, I am not entirely indifferent to their hunger:  I like to feed 'em a bowl of toasted wheatgerm mixed with an equal amount of concrete powder.  I mix one drop of anise oil into the toasted wheatgerm because rats love anise and cannot resist it.  Then I provide another bowl filled with water next to the dry mix cuz I know they'll be thirsty after eating the mix.

What happens is they develop an intractable B.M. and eventully die from it.  And unlike D-Con or other poisons the rats/squirrels NEVER develop an immunity to my mix.   And because it takes so long for symptoms to develop they don't associate the mix with getting sick and therefore don't learn to avoid it.

Likewise, if one of these sickened rats or squirrels is caught by a neighbor's cat or by a raptor, the predator won't be poisoned 2nd-hand by consuming the preyed uopn rodent!

Paul M.
==
« Last Edit: March 09, 2021, 02:18:25 PM by Epicatt2 »

bovine421

• Shake Rag Rd Fl 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: March 09, 2021, 02:31:04 PM »

If by killing rats (or squirrels) which are marauding my fruit and vegetable gardens I were threatening the entire species then I would think twice about doing so.  But as I only reduce the local populations of those marauders and know that more will eventually migrate in from surrounding areas (i.e., nature abhors a vacuum), I have no compunction against offing the ones that come into and forage on my garden's produce, ruining my fruit and veggies.

Even so, I am not entirely indifferent to their hunger:  I like to feed 'em a bowl of toasted wheatgerm mixed with an equal amount of concrete powder.  I mix one drop of anise oil into the toasted wheatgerm because rats love anise and cannot resist it.  Then I provide another bowl filled with water next to the dry mix cuz I know they'll be thirsty after eating the mix.

What happens is they develop an intractable B.M. and eventully die from it.  And unlike D-Con or other poisons the rats/squirrels NEVER develop an immunity to my mix.   And because it takes so long for symptoms to develop they don't associate the mix with getting sick and therefore don't learn to avoid it.

Likewise, if one of these sickened rats or squirrels is caught by a neighbor's cat or by a raptor, the predator won't be poisoned 2nd-hand by consuming the preyed uopn rodent!

Paul M.
==
I always appreciate your Insight and wisdom :)
That is totally true they breed like people!!!
We're doomed I don't even think wheat germ and concrete will save us :-[

Vernmented

• Starry Nursery/Plant Hoarder/Zone Pusher/Biochar Enthusiast
    • USA, Florida, Sarasota, 9B/10A
    • View Profile
    • Starry Nursery Instagram
« Reply #74 on: March 09, 2021, 02:31:44 PM »

8)
-Josh

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk