Author Topic: Squirrels  (Read 6417 times)

Budtropicals

• Largest collection in the smallest yard!
    • South Florida Zone 10b
    • View Profile
Re: Squirrels
« Reply #25 on: May 23, 2020, 08:39:06 PM »
You work with what you've got.

monkeyfish

• tampa bay
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 23, 2020, 10:22:03 PM »

Well I hate the squirrels as much as anybody, they are worse than rats when it comes to mangoes, but its wise to be aware of the laws.

Catching a rodent in a box trap and putting the trap in the pond for drowning is effective but illegal - misdemeanor animal cruelty.

Relocation seems humane, but you have to be careful. For example, in California its strictly verboten.

https://www.discoverwildcare.org/wildlife-resources/trapping-and-relocating-wildlife/

In Florida we have, in part:

Nuisance wildlife may only be released if:

1. The nuisance wildlife is released on the property of the landowner provided the release site and capture site are located on one contiguous piece of property, or

2. The nuisance wildlife is a native species; and,

3. The property where the nuisance animal is to be released is located within the county of capture and is a minimum of 40 contiguous acres; and,

4. The person releasing the nuisance wildlife is in possession, at time of release, of written permission from the property owner allowing such action.

Nuisance wildlife may not be released on federal, state, county, local or private lands without written permission of the landowner.

See:

https://myfwc.com/conservation/you-conserve/wildlife/relocate/

and

https://www.flrules.org/gateway/RuleNo.asp?id=68A-9.010

Don't want to see anyone get into trouble over these vermin.

TomekK

• In search of Theobromas
    • Vienna, Virginia Zone 7a
    • View Profile

FMfruitforest

• Tropical Fruit
    • USA, FL,zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 25, 2020, 07:18:49 AM »
Dog been keeping squirrlies outta yard but come nighttime and we have rats that come out on the hunt, here is what has been working for me to catch them.

Two small game traps set in small box. Bait with oatmeal

Then to finish the it off one bb pellet to the dome piece. Fast and humane

roblack

• Miami, FL 11A
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 28, 2020, 05:03:19 PM »

pineislander

• Bokeelia, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: May 28, 2020, 05:42:13 PM »
We had a saying regarding a supposed creature which Fish and Game somewhere said didn't exist but everybody knew they did.
S-O-S. Shoot shovel, shut up.
Eventually the beast from the forest became common enough they were killed on the roadways and Fish and Game said they "had escaped from someone". Then game cameras came along and the truth could no longer be denied. The Beast which could kill livestock and children was "Resident" to the state.

palmcity

• Martin County, Fl zone10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 03, 2020, 10:28:35 PM »
Good video where Chris at Truly Tropical shows the mangos that she eats but does not sale.

These are the mangos with the fungus issues like anthracnose and going as far as rot. At the end of the video she goes and picks a mango from a tree with a huge hole in it that they calmly proceed to cut away the missing portion and she & her guest sampler proceed to indulge on the remaining portions.

I know we all often wonder what others do with these fruits and it was an enlightening video. Thanks.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mOSNOmKn3qc

« Last Edit: June 03, 2020, 11:13:32 PM by palmcity »

zands

• mango_zango
    • Zone 10b, Florida, USA, 33321
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 03, 2020, 10:51:30 PM »

I like how she steps up close to the camera every few minutes . Only problem is that with so much sun glare we cannot see what she is pointing out.  Her first go tos are Carrie and Pickering which are mine for this season.

But her bruised n ugly mangoes are still too nice. When you keep your best for paying/non-paying friends.  Minimal varmints this year but when they do dip in, I sanitize with my garden hose turned onto blast. This blasts away all soft spots. too.

A great n delicious video! Listen to the birds tweeting in the background.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2020, 04:42:01 AM by zands »

JeffDM

• USA, San Diego, Ca. 92129. Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 06, 2020, 07:10:56 PM »
I used the original silver Rat Zapper for years and it reduced the numbers in my backyard significantly.  This year the coyotes and hawks have stepped in to help.

roblack

• Miami, FL 11A
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: December 31, 2020, 10:49:36 AM »

345 desoto

• Port Saint Lucie, Florida
    • n/a
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 01, 2021, 09:31:44 AM »
We live in central NYS...that is until our house in FL is finished (over a YEAR now)  The BEST way to finish off the squirrel problem is to wipe them out with a scoped and zeroed .22 pellet rifle.  Chipmunks are almost as bad.  We have a large bird feeder on a tall metal pole, next o our garden, and the varmints FLOCK to the Sunflower seeds, which the birds kick out....it's sort of like baiting them....the foxes clean up the remains over night, on top of the compost pile.  For the deer, racoons, rabbits, and woodchucks which USE to raid the garden (20ftx40ft) we installed a five foot metal fence and hooked up an electric Horse fence to it.  NEVER had another loss.  The deer could easily jump it, but before they did, they'd ease up to it and touch it with they're noses...that'd send them running without harming them.  We've watched racoons start to climb the fence and run, too ;D.  In FL we'll use the same "repellants"...

bovine421

• Shake Rag Rd Fl 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 01, 2021, 10:17:20 AM »
I used the original silver Rat Zapper for years and it reduced the numbers in my backyard significantly.  This year the coyotes and hawks have stepped in to help.

I saw this post yesterday and put it on my Amazon list to buy

New Year's Eve Party Crasher refuses to leave

Welcome guest nightwatcher fell asleep on the job

Woke up this morning with my wife screaming at me about a rat at the back door and a snake at the front

Oh Lord why did I prime the pump with beer

« Last Edit: January 01, 2021, 11:03:58 AM by bovine421 »
Tete Nene Julie Juliet Carrie Ice Cream Coconut Cream Little Gem  Dot  Mallika PPK  OS  Pina Colada Cotton Candy Buxton Spice Karen Michelle M-4 Beverly Marc Anthony White Pirie Lychee Cherilata Plantain Barbados Cherry

bovine421

• Shake Rag Rd Fl 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 01, 2021, 10:54:38 AM »
We live in central NYS...that is until our house in FL is finished (over a YEAR now)  The BEST way to finish off the squirrel problem is to wipe them out with a scoped and zeroed .22 pellet rifle.  Chipmunks are almost as bad.  We have a large bird feeder on a tall metal pole, next o our garden, and the varmints FLOCK to the Sunflower seeds, which the birds kick out....it's sort of like baiting them....the foxes clean up the remains over night, on top of the compost pile.  For the deer, racoons, rabbits, and woodchucks which USE to raid the garden (20ftx40ft) we installed a five foot metal fence and hooked up an electric Horse fence to it.  NEVER had another loss.  The deer could easily jump it, but before they did, they'd ease up to it and touch it with they're noses...that'd send them running without harming them.  We've watched racoons start to climb the fence and run, too ;D.  In FL we'll use the same "repellants"...
If I follow what you're saying then I should put a hot wire at the top of my 6 foot wooden fence to zap the squirrels :)

« Last Edit: January 01, 2021, 10:58:46 AM by bovine421 »
Tete Nene Julie Juliet Carrie Ice Cream Coconut Cream Little Gem  Dot  Mallika PPK  OS  Pina Colada Cotton Candy Buxton Spice Karen Michelle M-4 Beverly Marc Anthony White Pirie Lychee Cherilata Plantain Barbados Cherry

345 desoto

• n/a
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 01, 2021, 06:05:27 PM »
bovine421 - Some sort of "grounding" would need to be provided, when the varmint touches the wire...

FlMikey

• Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: March 03, 2021, 09:25:07 PM »
I heard that mothballs may deter squirrels.  My concern is the chemicals that may leach into my soil from the rain and the harm it may do to the tree and to myself if ingesting mangos from soil with those chemicals.  Has anyone ever tried mothballs and is it safe to use?

345 desoto

• n/a
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: March 04, 2021, 08:14:08 AM »
CHOOT 'EM!...

Sunrisefruit

• Sunrise, Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: March 04, 2021, 09:28:39 AM »
leave the squirrels alone..
they were here before you and will be here after you, they are not an invasive species.. there are enough mangoes for everyone..
there are parts of Miami where you don't see any because people have shoot them into local extinction.. you need to go to Broward or coral gables to be able to see them!
I, and I don't think you either, want to live in a city where all you see are humans

also, trapping and releasing them somewhere else is inhumane.. might as well kill them on the spot..
Squirrels are very territorial. so much so, that the squirrels that you see picking your mangoes are always the same squirrels.. they do not allow others to invade their territory. if you catch them and release them somewhere else, other squirrels, in that new area, will fight them and will not allow them to feed or even shelter.
then other squirrels will take their place eating your mangoes

just leave them alone
« Last Edit: March 04, 2021, 09:41:26 AM by Sunrisefruit »

Oncorhynchus

• SW Florida, 9B
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: March 04, 2021, 12:42:21 PM »
leave the squirrels alone..
they were here before you and will be here after you, they are not an invasive species.. there are enough mangoes for everyone..

This is not entirely true. The Eastern Grey Squirrel has been expanding its range westward, most likely since it adapts well to developed areas and has been introduced to the west coast where it is invasive. Also, if you look at a map of it’s supposed historic range, there is a weird bubble on the west coast of Florida where it was supposed to be absent. I live in that bubble and have them tearing up my yard 😠. 
There would be enough mangoes to go around if they ate the entire fruit but they take a single bite out of each and ruin 10x their body weight in fruit a day.

Sunrisefruit

• Sunrise, Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: March 05, 2021, 09:17:18 AM »
Natural migration is not invasion as the slow process also allows natural predators to move into the area at the same time..
we are urbanizing areas so fast and with such disregard to local fauna that it does not leave many choices to the local animals but to migrate to other areas.
At some point we have to ask ourselves, who is the invader?
I too, like many of you,  have mango trees..  in fact, many fruit trees that have taken many years to grow/fruit and i too have an squirrel "problem" but at some point you have to live and let live
« Last Edit: March 05, 2021, 09:29:02 AM by Sunrisefruit »

RollingInTheWeeds

• USA, CA., South Bay area of Los Angeles, USDA 10b, Sunset 24
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: March 05, 2021, 08:30:05 PM »
Well according to this link https://naturegardensnhm.blogspot.com/2011/06/squirrel-stew.html, "the Eastern fox squirrel was imported to Southern California in 1904 by veterans of the Civil War and Spanish American War".

It's a damn ugly problem, and I hate seeing lonely old people (no offense -- I'm old too) feed them.  They do an incredible amount of damage -- not only to our precious trees, but also eating through telephone cables, fiber optic lines, etc.

dwfl

• Bokeelia
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: March 06, 2021, 10:18:58 AM »
https://youtu.be/PzPAINCB5D0

Fun little squirrel project.

RollingInTheWeeds

• USA, CA., South Bay area of Los Angeles, USDA 10b, Sunset 24
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: March 06, 2021, 04:33:26 PM »
@dwfl, I wonder if you taxidermy 100 or so squirrels and place them on top of your perimeter fence whether it'd confuse the hell out of them, terrify them, or just plain make too many obstacles for them to get past!
 ;D

dwfl

• Bokeelia
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: March 07, 2021, 10:11:16 AM »
@dwfl, I wonder if you taxidermy 100 or so squirrels and place them on top of your perimeter fence whether it'd confuse the hell out of them, terrify them, or just plain make too many obstacles for them to get past!
 ;D

;D  That might even have the added benefit of scaring away any potential two legged fruit thieves.

Sleepdoc

• Davie, Florida Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: March 07, 2021, 04:41:21 PM »
There is some validity to leaving alone the squirrels if they are not being too greedy.  They definitely are territorial.  That being said you may need to take out some individuals if they are wreaking havoc.  I have had it go both ways over the years .  Things improving after taking out the greedy ones, or getting worse after taking out more selective individuals.

That being said, there is something to thinning the population.  Where I am in suburban S. Fla, there are an incredible # of squirrels.

Mike T

• Zone 12a
  • Cairns,Nth Qld, Australia
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: March 12, 2021, 12:53:08 AM »

Your yard visitors sound friendlier than mine still. This guy threatened me today, Cockatoos also stripped citrus today and flying foxes were everywhere last night. I also have a problem with big pythons eating ducks and geese. Squirrels actually look cute.