Author Topic: PIN shipping costs?  (Read 4037 times)

Hua liʻiliʻi

• Florida, 9a
    • View Profile
PIN shipping costs?
« on: May 04, 2016, 05:00:24 AM »
I live in the Jacksonville, Florida area and got a quote of $37.50 for 2 trees (they always ship 2 trees per box apparently, so if I ordered 4 trees I guess it'd be $75).

Is that about right from your experience? I just wanted to make sure there wouldn't be any costs I wasn't aware of when I went to order.

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
Re: PIN shipping costs?
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2016, 06:58:51 AM »
Call them and ask...
- Rob

Hua liʻiliʻi

• Florida, 9a
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2016, 07:19:20 AM »
I emailed and asked a couple months ago, that's where I got the quote from. It just didn't seem like they were taking my location into account and it seems a bit high (though not as high as some), although I could be completely wrong, which is why I wanted to check. I know a bunch of people here are from Florida and order from PIN so thought I'd see what others pay for the shipping. I tried searching but no one seems to mention shipping costs much.

I'm not ready to order right away and don't know which trees I'll be ordering so I didn't want to call. I like looking up shipping costs beforehand (usually you can do it on the website) since it can make a big difference. Like ordering 3 trees on plantogram ups the cost by over $60 because of shipping so that's definitely something I'd like to know ahead of time before I'm on the phone ordering the trees.

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2016, 07:41:50 AM »
Again,  call them and ask...nobody here can tell you what THEY will charge.  Hell, shipping costs could change at any time for a multitude of reasons.  Calling them should get you all your answers.   Bottom line, if you want certain plants and want to be sure you are getting what you asked for and need it shipped, then your options are limited...  ??? ::)
« Last Edit: May 04, 2016, 07:48:03 AM by bsbullie »
- Rob

Hua liʻiliʻi

• Florida, 9a
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2016, 08:05:20 AM »
Ok gosh, sorry I asked. I just didn't think it'd do any harm in asking on here. Clearly I was wrong. On other forums people discuss things like this, or if there's no way people can answer the question they politely say so instead of putting '...', rude smilies and rude phrasing. Manners cost nothing.

And I'm not complaining about the shipping costs at all so I don't know where your last sentence came from. I understand why they can be high. It's fine, I want quality trees. I just was interested in knowing how much it'd be.

gunnar429

• Nothing like fruit from your own yard!
    • West Park, FL 33023, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2016, 09:02:02 AM »
Ok gosh, sorry I asked. I just didn't think it'd do any harm in asking on here. Clearly I was wrong. On other forums people discuss things like this, or if there's no way people can answer the question they politely say so instead of putting '...', rude smilies and rude phrasing. Manners cost nothing.

And I'm not complaining about the shipping costs at all so I don't know where your last sentence came from. I understand why they can be high. It's fine, I want quality trees. I just was interested in knowing how much it'd be.

That's just our resident bulldog...don't take it personally. 
~Jeff

"Say you just can't live that negative way, if you know what I mean. Make way for the positive day." - Positive Vibration

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2016, 09:31:45 AM »

That's just our resident bulldog...don't take it personally.

No, actually its a thread that truly is a little senseless.  This is a forum/blog, not PIN.  If someone wants to know what any business charges for something, and wants an accurate answer, shouldn't that person contact that business directly?

Otherwise, what if I had replied, "the shipping will be $10."  Does that mean thats what they would charge?
- Rob

murahilin

• Administrator
    • USA Greenacres, Florida Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2016, 10:44:03 AM »
I live in the Jacksonville, Florida area and got a quote of $37.50 for 2 trees (they always ship 2 trees per box apparently, so if I ordered 4 trees I guess it'd be $75).

Is that about right from your experience? I just wanted to make sure there wouldn't be any costs I wasn't aware of when I went to order.

That sounds about right. I remember speaking to them once about mailing trees to West Palm Beach and it was around $30. I figured it may cost around the same to order the trees from them online instead of driving all the way down to Homestead and pay gas/tolls etc.

Also, ignore BSBullie, hes can be very aggressive online for no good reason. I've been trying to get a moderator to only moderate his rudeness to no avail. If anyone is interested, please let me know.

murahilin

• Administrator
    • USA Greenacres, Florida Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2016, 10:47:55 AM »
No, actually its a thread that truly is a little senseless.  This is a forum/blog, not PIN.  If someone wants to know what any business charges for something, and wants an accurate answer, shouldn't that person contact that business directly?

Otherwise, what if I had replied, "the shipping will be $10."  Does that mean thats what they would charge?

Rob, I think you missed her point entirely. She was asking if the price sounds about right. Meaning that is that what they usually charge. If a vendor usually charges $50 for something but then charges $100 and you ask them if they charge everyone $100, they will say "yes" obviously.

If she has no personal frame of reference for what PIN or another nursery charges for shipping, it is very reasonable for her or any other member to make a post asking if the price sounds about right.

Cookie Monster

• Broward, FL Zone 10b
  • Administrator
  • Eye like mangoes
    • Tamarac, FL, 33321, 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 04, 2016, 11:24:29 AM »
Yah, the shipping cost sounds right. Remember, they ship with soil, so the package is both big and heavy. But, yah, as Sheehan pointed out, you have to factor in cost of driving all the way to Homestead -- both gas and time lost. If you have a day to put around, it's nice to go and visit and pick out the trees yourself. Otherwise, it's nice to just have them magically appear on your doorstep. It's also a bit of a hassle to ship plants... which is why I never did it. You can spend an hour packing a single box to ensure that the brute man handlers who work for the shipping companies don't destroy the plants.
Jeff  :-)

Hua liʻiliʻi

• Florida, 9a
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 04, 2016, 11:39:31 AM »
I did contact them directly, by email, I already said that. And I explained all my reasoning on why I posted this thread instead of calling them.

Honestly I didn't realize it would be a big deal. It was a spur of the moment thing at like 5 in the morning (out of hours probably for PIN customer service anyway) when planning where I'll order most of the many trees I'd like to order. I realized when I posted that no one could give me an exact amount (hence why I said 'about right') but I've never ordered plants by mail order and sometimes when you ask questions you learn. Lots of members in Florida that order from PIN = reasonable to think there might be info on shipping that I didn't know about.

I've been trying to do that lately anyway - ask questions on various subjects instead of only researching myself since many times when I've done that I learn more than I could've otherwise. No such thing as a stupid question and all that. I usually don't because I don't want to bother people, but then, the point of a forum is discussion and if someone is bothered by someone's questions they can just ignore it and carry on.

I didn't imagine when I was posting that someone would try and make me feel stupid. There's ways of getting your point across without doing that. I'm going to take gunnar's advice and not take it personally. I've browsed this forum a lot before and know that most people are friendly.

Hua liʻiliʻi

• Florida, 9a
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 04, 2016, 11:41:27 AM »
Thanks murahilin and Cookie Monster - just saw your posts after I posted. That was helpful and the kind of response I was expecting when I started the thread :)

Yeah it would be great to drive down there with a truck. I'd love to visit south Florida anyway, I've never been that far down before even though I'm a native. But sadly I don't drive yet. Ah well, at least they ship. They have such a good selection and can successfully ship more delicate trees that some other places have trouble shipping so I'm excited to get some trees from there. I do wish we had as good of a selection of nurseries in northeast Florida as south Florida seems to have though!

Cookie Monster

• Broward, FL Zone 10b
  • Administrator
  • Eye like mangoes
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 04, 2016, 11:59:59 AM »
:-) Yah, their shipping is actually cheaper than most of the others. It's almost $25 per tree to order from Just Fruits and Exotics. PIN keeps the shipping costs down by using a special box that fits 2 trees.

While we have a great selection of tropicals and sub tropicals, we don't have a good selection of the temperate fruits. For example, if I want a pomegranate, I either have to order from northern florida or be content with the viatnamese pomegranate, which is pretty much the only one readily available here.

And, consider yourself fortunate to be in the state of FL. The CA guys pay a small fortune to have PIN trees shipped to them. Shipping within the state is far easier and cheaper.

Thanks murahilin and Cookie Monster - just saw your posts after I posted. That was helpful and the kind of response I was expecting when I started the thread :)

Yeah it would be great to drive down there with a truck. I'd love to visit south Florida anyway, I've never been that far down before even though I'm a native. But sadly I don't drive yet. Ah well, at least they ship. They have such a good selection and can successfully ship more delicate trees that some other places have trouble shipping so I'm excited to get some trees from there. I do wish we had as good of a selection of nurseries in northeast Florida as south Florida seems to have though!

Cookie Monster

• Broward, FL Zone 10b
  • Administrator
  • Eye like mangoes
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 04, 2016, 12:01:39 PM »
Rob is really nice in person, but all new posters have to pass the "hazing" process ;-). Congrats on being initiated to the forum :-).

I did contact them directly, by email, I already said that. And I explained all my reasoning on why I posted this thread instead of calling them.

Honestly I didn't realize it would be a big deal. It was a spur of the moment thing at like 5 in the morning (out of hours probably for PIN customer service anyway) when planning where I'll order most of the many trees I'd like to order. I realized when I posted that no one could give me an exact amount (hence why I said 'about right') but I've never ordered plants by mail order and sometimes when you ask questions you learn. Lots of members in Florida that order from PIN = reasonable to think there might be info on shipping that I didn't know about.

I've been trying to do that lately anyway - ask questions on various subjects instead of only researching myself since many times when I've done that I learn more than I could've otherwise. No such thing as a stupid question and all that. I usually don't because I don't want to bother people, but then, the point of a forum is discussion and if someone is bothered by someone's questions they can just ignore it and carry on.

I didn't imagine when I was posting that someone would try and make me feel stupid. There's ways of getting your point across without doing that. I'm going to take gunnar's advice and not take it personally. I've browsed this forum a lot before and know that most people are friendly.

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 04, 2016, 12:42:37 PM »

- Rob

DuncanYoung

• Eating Edward Mangos for over 67 years!
    • USA, Florida, West Palm Beach, 33405, 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 04, 2016, 01:35:49 PM »
I am back and forth between West Palm and Jacksonville on a regular basis.  Let me know when you decide on your mango varieties and maybe I can source them locally in WPB.  Rare Fruit Council there is having a huge sale next Saturday.  I would be happy to haul 2 trees back North for a fellow mango enthusiast!  PM me if interested.

LivingParadise

• Florida Keys, Zone 11a
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 04, 2016, 03:20:32 PM »
I would actually suggest you reconsider ordering from PIN since you are further North. They have decent stock, and lower prices than some others. However, if you are able to get a ride, there are closer nurseries to you with larger selections. For example, Top Tropicals, which I have just about had it with for shipping, but is probably a great place to pick up in person. You might want to ask around for other options closer to you. Also, if you have specific plants you want, maybe we can all help you here to figure out where to get them nearby at the best price. Shipping will include distance, so it's possible that you can still get a better deal with a closer nursery, even if their prices are normally on the high side. Even if you cant get a ride, many nurseries in Florida carry a decent selection of tropical fruits - not many of the rare ones though - and probably about 50% of larger nurseries will DELIVER plants to your door for a lower cost than shipping, if you live within one or two counties of them. Additionally, of course, opportunities like the Rare Fruit Council might offer a great choice, too!

What specifically do you think you want?
------
On another note, this forum is not moderated for rudeness the way other forums are, although I have suggested numerous times that the owners rethink this policy because it scares a large percentage of people off of posting, and off of becoming members - which ultimately means dissuading many prospective people from becoming involved with tropical fruits. Many members maintain a combative tone and get wrapped up in their ego, as well as post a lot of sexist and racist comments that really have nothing to do with fruit, which particularly puts off female posters and people of diverse cultures from feeling comfortable joining in discussions here. I continue to get comments from people behind the scenes in PM who don't feel comfortable posting to the actual forum for help, who are under the impression that at least I am somebody who won't bite your head off for having a question. Another thread was just locked yesterday because I dared to suggest to a different member that perhaps people stealing berries was not worth shooting or poisoning someone over, and multiple people went absolutely ballistic over me daring to suggest that murder was uncalled for, casting a few racial and ethnic aspersions and making insane political statements for good measure, into a thread which should have had absolutely nothing to do with either. Those posters never seem to have any repercussions for posting such inflammatory and offensive stuff that offends other members and prospective members. But the thread was locked.

So, I would say, welcome! and the more friendly people post here, the less power the crazies have! But, I do understand that being around such vicious judgment and anger for no reason is not really a good selling point to continuing on a forum that is supposed to be about the joy of growing tropical fruit. If you choose to keep posting, you will not be alone in believing this is a forum to be polite and to help others, rather than to criticize and to act superior to others. People here criticize everything from your choices in fruit variety to the way you write your posts, to what religion they believe you to have, and many do NOT appreciate hearing a differing viewpoint. Most of them, from my perspective, are overbearing and abusive older men with incredibly fragile egos. But, not everyone here is like that. So if you choose to keep posting, there are others here who will defend you, and your right to have whatever opinion you have, or to ask whatever question you want to. But I still find this a strangely angry forum for people who spend their whole day growing plants.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2016, 03:23:03 PM by LivingParadise »

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 04, 2016, 03:31:43 PM »

- Rob

strkpr00

• USA, Florida, Davie zone10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 04, 2016, 03:54:06 PM »
Half the reason I follow the forum is for bsbullie, and 2 others.

Cookie Monster

• Broward, FL Zone 10b
  • Administrator
  • Eye like mangoes
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 04, 2016, 04:03:52 PM »
Posts get locked and deleted when they become argumentative. This one is at serious risk of following the same fate.

I don't condone the negative comments, but fighting fire with fire just results in a bigger fire :-). And, like anything, perfection is completely elusive -- and legislation / administration is not the silver bullet to enforcing "getting along."

Don't let a few forum posts get under your skin. Skip over and ignore the couple of negative posts just like you'd avoid a negative situation in life. The overwhelming majority of posts are highly positive.

I've seen forums much worse than this one. It's just part of life.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk