Author Topic: annonaceae<3  (Read 2192 times)

Tropical Bay Area

• San Jose area, zone 9b
    • View Profile
annonaceae<3
« on: December 18, 2020, 08:25:11 PM »
So if found out a couple months ago that top tropicals(online nursery) carries a fruit they found from central america, listed as"pineapple annona" or "golden sugar apple". they believe it to be a "hybrid between soursop and pond apple". but many people have said it is just a pond apple, it does look like a pond apple and i think it is. i would get why it was thought to be a hybrid since it probably tastes better than a typical pond apple, so i would like seeds for it since i like collecting annonas.
Annona glabra

also any of u have kepel(stelecholarpus burahol) cold tolerance?
any of these, cold tolerance would be appreciated(i dont have any of these, just happen to like annonas)
monkey pepper(xylopia aromatica)
pindaiba(dugetia lanceolata)
Yara Yara (Dugetia(i forgot))
monkey banana(porcelia macrocarpa)
bush banana(uvaria sp.)
calabao(uvaria sp.)
wild custard apple(annona senegalensis)
beach custard apple(annona parviflora)
marolo(annona (srry i forgot))
marolo lisa(annona coriacea)
poshete(annona scleroderma)
quaresma(annona maritima/rollinia maritima)
Groundsop(annona stenophylla)
Toredo(annona spraguei)

Help would be appricieated! also if u didn't know, i already know junglesop can take down to about 30 degrees, not super sensitive.
thx!

Cheers!

BenG

• Menlo Park, California (Zone 9b)
    • View Profile
Re: annonaceae<3
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2020, 11:16:44 PM »
Hi there!

Just a bit of friendly advice:
Here in 9b, it's best to grow Annonas that can take more cold, as it can get down to 29ºF where I live. These are cherimoyas and atemoyas, namely. It probably isn't a great idea to try other Annonas here, unless of course you have a greenhouse or sufficient light and space indoors. I agree though, Annonas are awesome.

-Ben

Tropical Bay Area

• San Jose area, zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2020, 11:29:24 PM »
Hi there!

Just a bit of friendly advice:
Here in 9b, it's best to grow Annonas that can take more cold, as it can get down to 29ºF where I live. These are cherimoyas and atemoyas, namely. It probably isn't a great idea to try other Annonas here, unless of course you have a greenhouse or sufficient light and space indoors. I agree though, Annonas are awesome.

-Ben
yes. there are quite some more cold hardy annonas though, like annona montana, rollinia(cold tolerant ones), marolo lisa, etc.
also dont forget pawapaws!
Cheers!

shiro

• France La Rochelle
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2020, 09:22:35 AM »
Indeed some varieties may be less resistant but that said could be used in rootstock for soil adaptation.
And therefore life expectancy and resistance to various climatic hazards.
Or maybe grafted on a more resistant variety to see if it has an impact on the resistance to cold like for citrus fruits.
There is nothing to stop us from trying

Epicatt2

• Fruit forest in progress . . .
    • Tampa, FL / Zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2020, 12:28:52 PM »
. . .  there are quite some more cold hardy annonas though, like annona montana, rollinia (cold tolerant ones), marolo lisa, etc.

Cold tolerant Rollinia, eh?  Which species?  Would that perhaps imply that certain R. deliciosa strains are more cold tolerant than others?  Which cultivars (named)?  How cold tolerant?  Mine just went thru 41ºF. plus several other days of 43-45ºF, too, and seems unfazed except for some leaves turning yellow.  It's in a 7 gallon pot now and about 4; tall with the main trunk at 1-1/2" dia.  It is out under the sky, getting full sun.  Also sits in a saucer to provide it with ample water.

And, BTW, my Ilama is holding  up well; its leaves are still green.  It is next to an A. squamosa whose leaves ar starting to turn yellow.  Both are in 5 gallon pots and are  4' and 3' tall respectively.

There is also an Atemoya 'Gefener' which sits out near the Rollinia and is showing leaf yellowing but otherwise is fine.

Lastly I bought one of those Annona sp. (Golden Sugar Apple, Pineapple Annona) from TT before I learned that it may just be a pond apple) and it also made it through 41ºF with no damage.  And I also got from TT an A. montana, currently in a 1 gallon pot and only 18" tall, which made it thru this same cold spell with no damage.

Hope that offers the OP some ideas about cold tolerance in Annonas.  This cold spell was a good test for me and all of the other tropical fruit that I've gotten remained unaffected. Even a Eugenia stipitata (Araça-boi) which is supposed to hate the cold and to stop growing at 60ºF, has kept growing and flowering, although it looked a bit wilty after 41ºF, but it has recovered and showed no damage other than a few of the flower buds browned off.

Cheers!

Paul M.
==

Tropical Bay Area

• San Jose area, zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2020, 03:12:28 PM »
. . .  there are quite some more cold hardy annonas though, like annona montana, rollinia (cold tolerant ones), marolo lisa, etc.

Cold tolerant Rollinia, eh?  Which species?  Would that perhaps imply that certain R. deliciosa strains are more cold tolerant than others?  Which cultivars (named)?  How cold tolerant?  Mine just went thru 41ºF. plus several other days of 43-45ºF, too, and seems unfazed except for some leaves turning yellow.  It's in a 7 gallon pot now and about 4; tall with the main trunk at 1-1/2" dia.  It is out under the sky, getting full sun.  Also sits in a saucer to provide it with ample water.

And, BTW, my Ilama is holding  up well; its leaves are still green.  It is next to an A. squamosa whose leaves ar starting to turn yellow.  Both are in 5 gallon pots and are  4' and 3' tall respectively.

There is also an Atemoya 'Gefener' which sits out near the Rollinia and is showing leaf yellowing but otherwise is fine.

Lastly I bought one of those Annona sp. (Golden Sugar Apple, Pineapple Annona) from TT before I learned that it may just be a pond apple) and it also made it through 41ºF with no damage.  And I also got from TT an A. montana, currently in a 1 gallon pot and only 18" tall, which made it thru this same cold spell with no damage.

Hope that offers the OP some ideas about cold tolerance in Annonas.  This cold spell was a good test for me and all of the other tropical fruit that I've gotten remained unaffected. Even a Eugenia stipitata (Araça-boi) which is supposed to hate the cold and to stop growing at 60ºF, has kept growing and flowering, although it looked a bit wilty after 41ºF, but it has recovered and showed no damage other than a few of the flower buds browned off.

Cheers!

Paul M.
==
Thanks! yeah it seems that leaf damage and death to the wood are different stories, i think that sugar apple can take the high 20's but the leaves start to yellow below 43
Cheers!

Galatians522

• Florida 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2020, 10:07:49 PM »
In regards to the "pineapple anona," I actually like some pond apples. Allow me to explain. Once on a trip to south Florida I picked a pond apple from a semi-wild tree. When it ripened I attempted to eat it--it was awful. I planted some of the seed for rootstock. Later, I attempted to graft one of these with an Illama scion. My graft failed and I forgot about the tree for the most part until earlier this year when I noticed that a fully ripened fruit had fallen off and was laying under the tree. Not being the type to learn from prior failures, I tasted the fruit. To my amazement it actually tasted good! That got me thinking, "maybe its because the fruit ripened completely on the tree, or maybe its because it was growing on dry ground, or mybe I have just unwittingly discovered the tasty pond apple people have been dreaming about!" Then it hit me, "maybe its because I just ate 3 miracle berries". Lol!

BenG

• Menlo Park, California (Zone 9b)
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2020, 10:32:37 PM »
They're not called "miracle berries" for nothing!  ;D

Bush2Beach

• Santa Cruz, California Sunset Zone 17
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 20, 2020, 11:36:14 AM »

Cold tolerant Annona from south Brazil.
Rugulosa
Sylvatica
Neosericea
Neosalicifolia is better fruit

quote author=Epicatt2 link=topic=41996.msg413426#msg413426 date=1608398932]

Cheers!

Paul M.
==
[/quote]

Bush2Beach

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 20, 2020, 11:40:21 AM »
Ben G’s friendly advice is priceless on this thread.
Cherimoya and paw paw are the known Annona relatives to ripen properly in the Bay Area. Some others can be grown but the fruit may be inedible from not conducive winter conditions, greenhouse or not.

Tropical Bay Area

• San Jose area, zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 20, 2020, 05:44:20 PM »
Cherimoya and paw paw are the known Annona relatives to ripen properly in the Bay Area. Some others can be grown but the fruit may be inedible from not conducive winter conditions, greenhouse or not.
wont hurt to try!  ;D
Cheers!

bovine421

• Shake Rag Rd Fl 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 21, 2020, 05:29:54 AM »
wont hurt to try!  ;D
You are correct sir a couple years ago we had one night with three to four hours of 28 degrees. My sugar apple was on the south side of my house a couple feet from a block wall. It made it without any additional protection from me. It produced a abundance of fruit last season so I think it is worth the Gamble. It has not fully defoliated this winter yet but they always seem to bounce back in the spring. Sugar apple yes soursop no. Sorry I did not use the dead language chain the book to the podium :)

Ps please put a good word in with Santa I really would like to have a Cherilata for Christmas :)

Last Christmas! why? :(
« Last Edit: December 21, 2020, 06:02:38 AM by bovine421 »
Tete Nene Julie Juliet Carrie Ice Cream Coconut Cream Little Gem  Dot  Mallika PPK  OS  Pina Colada Cotton Candy Buxton Spice Karen Michelle M-4 Beverly Marc Anthony White Pirie Lychee Cherilata Plantain Barbados Cherry

Orkine

• Jupiter, FL, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 21, 2020, 07:39:30 AM »
B-432;  Is that biochar, priceless! :)

Merry Christmas

Bush2Beach

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 21, 2020, 12:20:26 PM »
Planting and caring for a grove for 5-10 years , what is normally a delicious fruit , Atemoya, only to find out the tree’s look great, the hand pollinated fruits are setting and getting bigger but guess what they never ripen , always split , rot and are inedible.
Meanwhile the Cherimoya tree’s in the same planting area are delicious.
The tree’s look the same , so you have, the learning experience and no fruit or a productive Cherimoya orchard. I would hedge 80-20 with Cherimoya and if the Atemoya work out and you prefer them then topwork some of your cherimoya at that point.

wont hurt to try!  ;D

9B in Brazil

• Brazil, Santa Catarina, Brusque, 9B
    • View Profile
Can anyone help identify this Annona?
« Reply #14 on: December 22, 2020, 12:39:51 PM »

Sorry that the birds got to it before I could pick it.
« Last Edit: December 23, 2020, 01:17:59 PM by 9B in Brazil »
I am an American from California with a small farm in Southern Brazil. 
Sou americano na Califórnia e tenho um sítio em Brusque, SC, Brasil.

Marc Doyle

Tropical Bay Area

• San Jose area, zone 9b
    • View Profile
Re: Can anyone help identify this Annona?
« Reply #15 on: December 23, 2020, 12:03:19 AM »

i think thats a pond apple. looks exactly like one.
Cheers!

Bush2Beach

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 23, 2020, 11:50:01 AM »
Pictures of your junglesop ?

Tropical Bay Area

• San Jose area, zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 23, 2020, 10:01:29 PM »