Author Topic: Cambucá - Plinia edulis problem . . . . Help, please!  (Read 964 times)

Epicatt2

• Fruit forest in progress . . .
    • Tampa, FL / Zone 9b
    • View Profile
Cambucá - Plinia edulis problem . . . . Help, please!
« on: December 21, 2020, 11:38:18 PM »
I have four seedling cambucás (Plinia edulis) in one gallon pots and they make nice new leaves but then later after they are mature for about a month the leaves very slowly start to die back at the edges.

They have been fertilized occasionally, but at 1/4-strength with water-soluble fertilizer.

What does this leaf-burn sound like? (Sorry but have no photos.)  Is it that they are over sensitive to solute in the water?  Do they need to be flushed with water more?  Would they maybe benefit from being put into into an extra deep pot to offer more root run?  Or what . . .  ?

Any advice or help would be welcome.

Cheers!

Paul M.
==
« Last Edit: December 22, 2020, 09:19:53 AM by Epicatt2 »

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
Re: Cambucá - Plinia edulis problem . . . . Help, please!
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2020, 05:03:25 PM »
Do you have salts or chlorine in your water source? That could do it. Try using rain water or filtered water. Flush the pots out with good water and see if that helps.
Oscar

Epicatt2

• Tampa, FL / Zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2020, 06:07:09 PM »
Thanx Oscar. 

I  had been wondering about that.  I filter my water (using a PŪR faucet-end filter) for many of my tropical fruit seedings that are just getting started in small 4-in, and smaller, pots but possibly by not fully flushing these little plants salts are slowly building up in the mix.

The pots (including those cambucás in gallons), even though I am mostly using filtered water on them, do sound like they need to get fully flushed so you may be onto something that I need to start doing with these cambucás as well as with some of my other small seedling fruit trees.

Much appreciated.

Paul M.==

WilliamTheYoungGrower

• SE Honduras /Zone 13
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2020, 10:48:26 PM »
I have four seedling cambucás (Plinia edulis) in one gallon pots and they make nice new leaves but then later after they are mature for about a month the leaves very slowly start to die back at the edges.

They have been fertilized occasionally, but at 1/4-strength with water-soluble fertilizer.

What does this leaf-burn sound like? (Sorry but have no photos.)  Is it that they are over sensitive to solute in the water?  Do they need to be flushed with water more?  Would they maybe benefit from being put into into an extra deep pot to offer more root run?  Or what . . .  ?

Any advice or help would be welcome.

Cheers!

Paul M.
==

The problem could also come from your ph being too high or maybe too much sun for its respective age.
Salutes

Epicatt2

• Tampa, FL / Zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2020, 09:23:33 AM »
The problem could also come from your ph being too high or maybe too much sun for its respective age.

Don't think that it's the sun; they're in a mostly shady situation and only get early morning or late afternoon sun directly.

It might be the pH, though, except that three of the four are where they are getting rained on directly.  Only one is getting filtered water given manually because it is in a 4" pot.  And as earlier mentioned they have been given 1/4-strength water-soluble fertilizer about every third or fourth watering.

And on all four of these individuals the new leaves emerge, expand, and mature perfectlly green and healthy.  It is only a few weeks later that they start to show edge burn –and that is usually after the next set of new leaves has emerged and matured. 

I'm wondering whether it might be the amount of water that they are receiving.  I was told by the seller in HI that in nature they receive a lot of water in their native habitat.

It's all very curious and I'd really like to succeed with these cambucá!

¡Saludos! William . . .
==

Mike T

• Zone 12a
  • Cairns,Nth Qld, Australia
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2021, 05:30:45 AM »
Tea leaf bugs do that to mine and in fact other Plinia as well.There are a number of tiny bugs and stem borers that can do that if salt etc has been ruled out.