Author Topic: QQs re cold tolerance of several tropicals in 9b – advice please…  (Read 2271 times)

Epicatt2

• Fruit forest in progress . . .
    • Tampa, FL / Zone 9b
    • View Profile
Here in Tampa (9b) we are forecast to have a low of 37ºF on SAT morning after Xmas.

Wondering who has had experience with low temps with the following several tropical fruit trees:

~ Meiogyne cylindrgcarpa (Fingersop)  -  1 ft tall n 1 gal pot
~ Murraya koenigii (Curryleaf)  - 14" tall in 1 gal pot
~ Rollinia deliciosa (Biribá)  -  1 in 7-gal pot @ 5 ft tall w/ 1-1/2 dia trunk; 2 others in 1 gal pots 18" tall w/ 3/16" stems
~ Pouteria viridis (Green sapote) - 4 of 'em in 1 gal pots about 10" to 12" in tall

Not real sure about the above so am asking, in Y'all's experience should these make it thru 37ºF without any damage or should they be brought inside?

Will move the abius and P. tomentosa inside as well as my Eugenia stipatata which all have withstood as low as 41ºF and 45º, too, several times.

All the citrus and mangos will stay outside this time 'round, including Eugenias candolleana, calycina, selloi, plus one large fruiting sized Pitangtuba.  Not so sure about the Pitombas, which are still small 8" to 10" tall-but-sturdy seedlings.

How about an ilama, a 'Gefner' and sugar apple  (all in 5 gal.)?  Stay out or go inside at 37º?

This is my first year of really testing for cold tolerances in a number of things which I did not have last year at this time.

Fingers X-ed!

Paul M.
==

turpentyne

• 9b - 10a
    • View Profile
Re: QQs re cold tolerance of several tropicals in 9b – advice please…
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2020, 12:03:49 PM »
I'm in Phoenix, 9A - my curry seedling just planted this year has taken temperatures to 32, with plastic around to protect against wind, but no heat provided. For the last couple weeks, I've been consistently hitting mid-high 30s at night.

I'm not sure if the plant will take much lower than that, but it looks fine with not a scratch

BenG

• Menlo Park, California (Zone 9b)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2020, 12:06:38 PM »
I heard that a guy in Los Gatos (another town in 9b) pulled off green sapote, as well as savannah cherry and pitangatuba.

Andreas Gia

• Houston, TX
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2020, 01:30:08 PM »
Green sapore for me has done fine. Even held onto its single fruit when it got into the upper 30s. Sugar apple is in a container for me. It’s withstood multiple frosts

Galatians522

• Florida 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2020, 01:58:25 PM »
The Gefner will be fine at 37 for sure. However, I have come to have a certain skepticism about exact temperature weather predictions over the years. We consistently have a 4 degree difference from one part of the property to the other, so how can a weatherman predict the exact degree for a 20 square mile area? As a result, I am a firm believer in "fact checking" weather predictions with an on-site thermometer. You may be quite surprised by the differences. Also, many of your plants are in 1 gal containers and would only take a few minutes to move indoors. You will sleep easier knowing they are safe.

turpentyne

• 9b - 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2020, 02:33:29 PM »
To Galatians522's point, I can confirm that my curry seedling survived 32° F, based on a thermometer monitoring just 5 feet away -- not the weatherman's statement. My house is consistently 5ish degrees cooler than the weather report.

Another 20 plants, I put in the kitchen for the night, because they're in nursery pots. I paid too much for the seeds to risk the babies just yet.
« Last Edit: December 23, 2020, 02:35:50 PM by turpentyne »

Jagmanjoe

• USA, Florida, Lakeland, 9A
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2020, 03:53:28 PM »
I am in South Lakeland, not that far from Tampa and Weather Underground is predicting 32 here for Saturday morning.  Get confirmation predictions from several sources to be safe.

K-Rimes

• Santa Barbara
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2020, 04:39:57 PM »
Rollinia died here in 9b, it was pretty mature and flowering too. 

Tropical Bay Area

• San Jose area, zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 23, 2020, 10:04:49 PM »
Rollins cold tolerance can vary a lot as it’s native range is huge. Some will get top damage at 32 and wilt below 35, others can take 24.
Cheers!

NateTheGreat

• SF Bay Area, 9B
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 24, 2020, 10:02:10 AM »
Rollins cold tolerance can vary a lot as it’s native range is huge. Some will get top damage at 32 and wilt below 35, others can take 24.

Are you saying this out of experience? What rollinias have you grown personally?

dwfl

• Bokeelia
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 24, 2020, 10:06:17 AM »

Are you saying this out of experience? What rollinias have you grown personally?

24 degrees... I'd bet against that!

Galatians522

• Florida 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 24, 2020, 11:07:26 AM »

24 degrees... I'd bet against that!

I believe he is refering to Rolinia species not available in the US. Har (Guanabanus) mentioned something about this in another thread about cold hardy anonas. He said they were all small and seedy, which is probably why they are not grown here.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=http://tropicalfruitforum.com/index.php%3Ftopic%3D401.0&ved=2ahUKEwjh5efS_ubtAhUIo1kKHcZ2DjcQFjAAegQIAxAB&usg=AOvVaw2I_6yIn35QELjHHGmO_ppQ

Bush2Beach

• Santa Cruz, California Sunset Zone 17
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 24, 2020, 12:55:57 PM »
Rollinia’s were reclassified as Annona recently because the flower’s arent different enough to not have them classified as Annona with the other Annona’s.
These are the cold tolerant “Rollinia’s” from south Brazil.
Cold tolerant Annona from south Brazil.
Rugulosa
Sylvatica
Neosericea
Neosalicifolia is better fruit

Some of these must be available in the US because myself and others are growing them.

Bush2Beach

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 24, 2020, 12:59:50 PM »

turpentyne

• 9b - 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 24, 2020, 02:55:59 PM »
In fact I and another forum member here in Phoenix are looking for a. Rugulosa seeds for this very reason.

Galatians522

• Florida 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 24, 2020, 06:26:16 PM »
Rollinia’s were reclassified as Annona recently because the flower’s arent different enough to not have them classified as Annona with the other Annona’s.
Rugulosa
Sylvatica
Neosericea

Some of these must be available in the US because myself and others are growing them.

Nice! I didn't realize anyone here had those. When will you be producing a hybrid with Deliciosa/Mucosa? Lol! Do you have any idea of the hardiness of the ones you are growing?

Epicatt2

• Tampa, FL / Zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 27, 2020, 04:17:28 PM »
UPDATE — My large Rollina deliciosa in a 7-gallon pot stayed out and went thru 37ºF. for a second night in a row.  It looks ok but the leaves are a bit droopy.  I expect that they'll recover, though.

I put my two seedling ones inside during the cold not trusting that they'd be large enough to survivie that much cold yet.

Paul M.
==
« Last Edit: December 27, 2020, 09:06:44 PM by Epicatt2 »

Bush2Beach

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 27, 2020, 09:25:01 PM »
What did your daytime highs recover to after 37 low at night?

Epicatt2

• Tampa, FL / Zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 28, 2020, 01:03:55 AM »
What did your daytime highs recover to after 37 low at night?

Both days were in the 50s.  Warmer tho, tom'w...

PM
==

850FL

• zone 8b/9a
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 30, 2020, 07:33:36 AM »
Rugulosa
Sylvatica
Neosericea

Some other annonas..
Parviflora
Emarginata
Ubatubensis

There are more species too I believe with smaller fruit about as hardy as these from the southern Brazil, Paraguay, Argentina, southern Bolivia, Uruguay area and along the coast and also high elevations in the Andes.. I’m sure they’re growing hardy annonas in Chile too
« Last Edit: December 30, 2020, 07:41:09 AM by 850FL »

shot

• usa fl bokeelia 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 30, 2020, 09:42:25 AM »
Cold tolerance is more complicated than just a cited temperature.It can be cultivar,health of the plant or more important duration!Say is 30 better than 28 if 30 last7 hours or 28 last 15 minutes?

850FL

• zone 8b/9a
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 30, 2020, 03:06:41 PM »
These annonas take more frost than your average ‘subtropical’ fruit plant that can maybe take a light freeze or so.. these take closer to hard freezes. Realize that source said emarginata took occasional -10C freezes with NO damage. 15-20 degree ‘hard frosts’ usually accompany prolonged cold temps.. With that in mind, I doubt even 2 days straight of 28-32 would harm that species at all.. and yes every variety and individual plant varies but for the most part the annonas I represent follow that pattern (being able to take an occasional hard freeze and not get stumped)..
« Last Edit: December 30, 2020, 03:10:10 PM by 850FL »

850FL

• zone 8b/9a
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 30, 2020, 03:07:50 PM »
In other words I’d assume these species share about the cold tolerance of a minneola or satsuma

shot

• usa fl bokeelia 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 30, 2020, 03:29:55 PM »
I was not directly speaking to your post 850fl.But also their is the variable of advection vs radiation freeze.
  You should look at this book https://www.amazon.com/History-Florida-Citrus-Freezes/dp/0944961037