Author Topic: Abiu question.  (Read 1487 times)

DurianLover

• Bali, Indonesia
    • View Profile
Abiu question.
« on: February 20, 2016, 08:42:00 AM »
Do abius improve as tree ages? I tasted my first fruit from one of trees few days back and it was nothing like mother fruit I had 3 years ago. Fruit was about 2.5 times smaller with higher latex content. To be fair, it was hanging on very thin branch, and a small 8 foot tree. I assume a chance needs to be given to get impoved?

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
Re: Abiu question.
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2016, 02:18:29 PM »
Most likely due to young/immature tree.  Was the fruit fully ripe?
- Rob

Finca La Isla

• Costa Rica, Southern Caribbean coast
    • View Profile
    • finca la isla
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2016, 05:55:53 PM »
You really need to wait and give the tree a chance.  Something most have gone wrong with that fruit.  The size should be relatively uniform.  Best to pick abiu when nice and yellow for good taste and especially to avoid latex.
Peter

DurianLover

• Bali, Indonesia
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2016, 08:37:41 PM »
Yes,  fruit was fully ripe, completely yellow, slightly soft when pushed. I stripped the rest of 20 something fruits to let tree grow. I guess, we'll just wait for next crop to see what happens as tree flowers continously.

Mike T

• Zone 12a
  • Cairns,Nth Qld, Australia
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2016, 06:27:21 AM »
Young trees with their first crop can have big fruit and they vary more between seasons.I gave seen small trees overloaded and come back fine.Seedlings are not always as good as their parents but often are.Fertilize the tree generously and fruit are bigger.