Author Topic: Advise on mango canopy please  (Read 1748 times)

DurianLover

• Bali, Indonesia
    • View Profile
Advise on mango canopy please
« on: February 25, 2017, 07:40:46 PM »
Could anybody from Florida suggest few very good to exellent rated varieties that have wide spreading, umbrella type growth habit?  Good vigor would be helpful.
I'm familiar with flavors of most top tiers, just not sure about growth habit of half of them.

Brev Grower

• Will trade mango scions
    • USA , Florida, Brevard county
    • View Profile
Re: Advise on mango canopy please
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2017, 11:33:10 AM »
Graham , Julie and Carrie would have that type of growth you are looking for. Graham and Carrie are semi dwarf, Julie more true dwarf. They all have that Caribbean type flavor (high resinous) if that is what you like. Some people don't appreciate it (Rob). But Carrie is one of my absolute favorite mangos! Graham was excellent last year also. Do not know how they will grow or taste in your area of the world...Of note also is that you can prune or bonsai almost any mango tree if you are willing to keep up with it year round. So if it were me, I might just go on taste, productivity and also disease resistance. Pickering would also be another true dwarf with good qualities. I really don't know if you want to go with something high vigor and try to keep an umbrella shape to the canopy. But let us know how your search goes ;D

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2017, 11:53:00 AM »
The OP is looking for trees with a spreading canopy woth good vigor, neither Carrie,  Graham or Pickering fit that description.   While Julie is a compact, somewhat dwarfish growth habit in SFla, it is a very vigorious large growing tree in the Caribbean, reaching 30 - 50 feet.

For newer varieties,  I would recommend Lemon Zest,  Fruit Punch. Edgar, Pineapple Pleasure and Peach Cobbler  (moferately spreading).  ZINC,  Spirit of 76, Bombay. Baileys Marvel, Dot, Val Carrie (maybe more on the medium vigor side) along with some of the older more commercial tyles  would also work.

Cant comment for sure but I would venture to say from the parent trees that Kathy, Cotton Candy,  Phoenix and Orange Essence may fit the bill.
- Rob

Brev Grower

• Will trade mango scions
    • USA , Florida, Brevard county
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2017, 03:15:21 PM »
All due respect, my Graham is shaped almost exactly like an umbrella, partly because I took out the more vigorous upright branches. Yes, my suggestions are not the most vigorous. This is true. But, if he is planting in Sri Lanka, how do we know what the growth will be like anyway? The more vigorous trees like lemon zest like to grow upward, not so much out. But again, I think you can try to prune almost any to a shape you want. Just will take some work.

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2017, 03:40:15 PM »
All due respect, my Graham is shaped almost exactly like an umbrella, partly because I took out the more vigorous upright branches. Yes, my suggestions are not the most vigorous. This is true. But, if he is planting in Sri Lanka, how do we know what the growth will be like anyway? The more vigorous trees like lemon zest like to grow upward, not so much out. But again, I think you can try to prune almost any to a shape you want. Just will take some work.

Graham can be and usually is more compact than a Carrie, neither of which would be described with a growth habit exhibiting vigor.

Lemon Zest is not an upright grower when compared to Sweet Tart.   Yes it grows upright (as opposed to sprawling like a Kent or Coconut Cream) but with a naturally wider canopy.

The OP asked a specific question, not about how one can prune a tree, about which varieties exhibit certain characteristics.   
- Rob

DurianLover

• Bali, Indonesia
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2017, 09:51:55 AM »
Thank you for replys. This is for tiny commercial project / fill up the area with trees sort of thing. Lesser number of trees is prefered hence I asked about growth habit. Looks like I'll have to go mainly with LZ.  Number of  varieties mentioned here have other issues from what I remember reading previously. Too soft, productivity or disease issues and so on.
One last question about Cac. That's the other one I'm strongly considering and already have without having to go through trouble obtaining other varieties. Squam mentioned being very vigorous, other than that don't know it's growth habit?