Author Topic: Durio oxleyanus, better than durian?  (Read 6481 times)

red durian

• Malaysia, Sabah, Tawau
    • View Profile
Durio oxleyanus, better than durian?
« on: December 29, 2012, 07:52:14 PM »
Just had my first D. oxleyanus of the season.  What a heavenly experience!  It was better than durian; so creamy and perfectly sweet, with a hint of something like lemon peel, but with a wild edge.  The fruit has pretty much no smell, opened or closed.

murahilin

• Administrator
    • USA Greenacres, Florida Zone 10b
    • View Profile
Re: Durio oxleyanus, better than durian?
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2012, 10:30:58 PM »
The lack of smell and your flavor description makes this durian sound appetizing. Did you find this fruit in the market or in the forest?

I just read the section on the D. oxleyanus in Kostermans Durio Monograph and it mentions that its a "well known species in Borneo". I wonder how many other Durio species are considered well known in the region besides regular Durian?

It also says "this species already flowers when it is only 12 m high". Only....

It doesn't say how many years it takes to fruit though.

Ethan

• Central California Z9/9
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2012, 11:36:11 PM »
Mmmmm green sea urchin. :)  Sounds pretty incredible, I hope you are planting the seed.

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2012, 02:10:34 AM »
I think the most appealing thing about oxyleanus for westerners wiith sensitive noses and preprogrammed dislike for durian would be that the fruit has almost no smell. I've only tried oxyleanus a couple of times, but the ones i had wouldn't say they were superior to a good monthong.
Oscar

red durian

• Malaysia, Sabah, Tawau
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2012, 04:17:08 AM »
The lack of smell and your flavor description makes this durian sound appetizing. Did you find this fruit in the market or in the forest?

In the market today, 4 people were selling D. oxleyanus.  I bought the biggest ones.

I just read the section on the D. oxleyanus in Kostermans Durio Monograph and it mentions that its a "well known species in Borneo". I wonder how many other Durio species are considered well known in the region besides regular Durian?

Borneo is so locally insular that you only have to travel 50 km to a new language.  What is known here is not known not too far away.   But in Tenom, Sabah, there are 3 very well known Durios with a 4th Durio appearing in the market, but remaining relatively unknown.

It also says "this species already flowers when it is only 12 m high". Only....

It doesn't say how many years it takes to fruit though.

I also would like to know how many years to fruit.

red durian

• Malaysia, Sabah, Tawau
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2012, 04:21:08 AM »
Mmmmm green sea urchin. :)  Sounds pretty incredible, I hope you are planting the seed.
I planted all the seeds from the first fruit.  Will re-post on the "days to emergence" probably pretty soon.  I'm moving in 9 months so hopefully I can get all the right permits and package my plants properly for a trip to the other side of the planet.

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2012, 08:58:09 AM »
I planted all the seeds from the first fruit.  Will re-post on the "days to emergence" probably pretty soon.  I'm moving in 9 months so hopefully I can get all the right permits and package my plants properly for a trip to the other side of the planet.

Last i heard it is not legal to take durian seeds out of Malaysia, just like it's not legal to take them out of Thailand.
Oscar

Mike T

• Zone 12a
  • Cairns,Nth Qld, Australia
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2012, 03:28:54 PM »
Oscar I believe it is also illegal to send seeds out of Brazil.Red the flesh looks a bit thin but if the taste rivals the best zibethinus maybe there is commercial potential on peninsula Malaysia and Thaiand even as a novelty 'variety'.In a few weeks I should have D.macrantha in hand and will report.I wonder if they will live up to Zostermans and other enthusiasts hype?

red durian

• Malaysia, Sabah, Tawau
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2012, 08:46:46 PM »
Oscar I believe it is also illegal to send seeds out of Brazil.Red the flesh looks a bit thin but if the taste rivals the best zibethinus maybe there is commercial potential on peninsula Malaysia and Thaiand even as a novelty 'variety'.In a few weeks I should have D.macrantha in hand and will report.I wonder if they will live up to Zostermans and other enthusiasts hype?

The flesh thickness is similar to a seedling durian and less than a durian bred for thicker flesh.  Interestingly, the second fruit I ate only had one seed, and the third fruit, 2; the rest being aborted, leaving very thick flesh.  All 6 fruits I bought were from the same tree.  Fruit number three was a bit overripe and the flavour was strongly caramel with the lemon peel hint gone.

I wonder if there is a scientific measure of stickiness.  D. testudarium is very sticky, D. zibethinus less so and D. oxleyanus least of all.  After being exposed to D. oxleyanus, one usually finds durian to have an inferior texture.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2012, 11:19:06 PM by red durian »

red durian

• Malaysia, Sabah, Tawau
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2013, 04:46:58 AM »

The durio oxleyanus tree has emerged from the soil after 5 days, just like a durian.  I guess this means that those who bought the seed from me have their tree growing in a bag of mail somewhere.

northborneo

• North Borneo
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 25, 2014, 10:23:49 PM »
I have Durio oxleyanus from seedling that I inarched with 10 other durio species including Durio graveolens and Durio grandiflorus.. hope to see first bloom in 4 years time..

bangkok

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 25, 2014, 10:33:47 PM »
I have Durio oxleyanus from seedling that I inarched with 10 other durio species including Durio graveolens and Durio grandiflorus.. hope to see first bloom in 4 years time..

So you made a cocktail-durian tree with 10 variety's?? That's great. I also tried that but my grafts died unfortunately.

DurianLover

• Bali, Indonesia
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 25, 2014, 10:46:06 PM »

So you made a cocktail-durian tree with 10 variety's?? That's great. I also tried that but my grafts died unfortunately.

No, he used other varieties to make  multi rootstock plant.

arvind

• Malaysia
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 18, 2015, 07:13:11 AM »
i have eaten this fruit and yes it does taste great.Someone gave it to my father or maybe he bought it and in turn gave it to me.Such a cute looking durian with small size

JonathonForester

• Pinellas Co, Fl
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 18, 2015, 09:10:54 AM »
How are the plants doing 2 years later or so? 12m high yet :P Pictures!!!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk