Author Topic: cattley guavas are great!  (Read 629 times)

brian

• Pennsylvania (zone 6) w/ heated greenhouse
    • View Profile
cattley guavas are great!
« on: August 15, 2020, 05:53:35 PM »
I just got to try cattley guavas for the first time, both red and yellow.  They grew and fruited quickly from seed.  I like them much better than any of the true guavas I've had so far (large crunchy white, pink, "regular" green/yellow).  I like the yellow ones a little more than the red, slightly sour while red is all sweet.

This yellow one isn't fully ripe, forgot to take a picture of the ripe ones I ate.

spaugh

• San Diego County California
    • View Profile
Re: cattley guavas are great!
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2020, 06:09:22 PM »
They are pretty decent.  I dont know about great but I can put down a few strawberry guavas.  My kids like them too and they are a little picky with fruit. 

The plants are bomb proof weeds too.
Brad Spaugh

palmcity

• Martin County, Fl zone10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2020, 08:27:51 PM »
I just got to try cattley guavas for the first time, both red and yellow.  They grew and fruited quickly from seed.  I like them much better than any of the true guavas I've had so far (large crunchy white, pink, "regular" green/yellow).  I like the yellow ones a little more than the red, slightly sour while red is all sweet.
Agree. The yellow cattley guava are very good IMO. The problem in Florida is the worms entering the fruit, but they are still tasty if you don't look at the worm.

The yellow cattley guava are often found growing wild in fields and under trees in South Florida and that's how I originally planted one in my yard. To my surprise, I went to home depot & bought a pink guava expecting it to be better tasting and IMO it was bland and worthless.

brian

• Pennsylvania (zone 6) w/ heated greenhouse
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2020, 09:07:06 PM »
Yeah I was hoping to try these in Hawaii when I was there as I'd read they are invasive, but I couldn't actually find any. 

Is it safe to assume the fruit fly that attacks guavas is probably not this far north?  I noticed all of my yellow ones had those little black pock marks on the skin but I didn't see any worms. 

I still really want to try the red mexican guavas that JF has.  Hoping he'll sell grafted ones again as I fail at rooting cuttings.