Author Topic: what are you guys doing with your cacao?  (Read 450 times)

brian

• Pennsylvania (zone 6) w/ heated greenhouse
    • View Profile
what are you guys doing with your cacao?
« on: March 15, 2021, 02:03:53 PM »
It seems a lot of people are growing theobroma/cacoa/"chocolate".  What are you guys actually doing with it?  Is it just for fun, because it looks neat?  Or do you eat the seeds and/or white pith? 

I got a fresh cacao pod once from a fruit market and the seeds were kinda ok and the white part wasn't really something that tasted like food to me.  I definitely prefer very-dark chocolate to actual raw unprocessed cacao.  I'm just wondering if there is some popular use I'm not aware of. 

spencerw

• Hawaii
    • View Profile
    • Tropical Self Sufficiency
Re: what are you guys doing with your cacao?
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2021, 02:57:02 PM »
its super easy to ferment and roast them. i usually use an old nut jar for my ferment. line the jar with banana leaves to gain a natural bacteria. then open pods and dump them into the jar. i find you need at least 2 pods for proper ferment. the more pods the easier the ferment. then use a spoon to lightly press the seeds down and cover with another banana leaf, then cover the top of the jar with cheese cloth or a coffee filter so air can flow in without bugs getting in. i usually stir the ferment daily or every other day. ferment 3-10 days, the color or the seeds darkens, then sun dry them for 3-4 days and roast at 275 for 2 hours. great with bananas or just a little energy boost snack. if you decided to break up the beans youll have 'nibs' and if you powder them you have cacao powder.
i was a little intimidated of the process the first time i did it, but ive done it many times now and its pretty fun and easy. and its always a good gift. and the way the tree produces the pods is so interesting. totally worth growing. i quite enjoy the fruit pulp as well, but if you eat it then your ferment wont come out properly. we usually eat a pod and plant them and ferment the rest from each harvest

i originally used this blog as my initial starting point. i know the blog writer and her friend who taught her to do the process. she had told me to use banana and no need for the yeast or vinegar for an updated recipe
http://www.kumuainafarm.com/how-to-make-chocolate-from-cacao-beans/
« Last Edit: March 15, 2021, 03:00:39 PM by spencerw »

brian

• Pennsylvania (zone 6) w/ heated greenhouse
    • View Profile
Re: what are you guys doing with your cacao?
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2021, 02:58:59 PM »
Cool!  It didnt occur to me that it was simple to ferment and roast on a small scale

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk