Citrus > Cold Hardy Citrus

Flying Dragon Fruiting requirements?

(1/2) > >>

franklazar26:
Hello all! I recently got a nice flying dragon with a few fruits on it for rootstock use later on. I know trifoliates are deciduous, do they require a “chill period” such as other deciduous trees do in order to fruit? Or do they just fruit according to photoperiod (such as day length and temp rises)? There’s not a whole lot of info out there! I attempted at some FD’s last year however they died in the cold, leaving them outside during the winter too long and I don’t want that to happen again! Thanks all.

poncirsguy:
Mine is in grown in ground in zone 6a on the north side of my house and it fruits.

brian:
I have a c-35 that flowers and fruits despite never seeing temps below 50-55F in my greenhouse.  I dont think they need chill hours

franklazar26:
Awesome, so I’m assuming Poncirsguy’s gets cold enough to shed its leaves, and Brian yours trifoliate just flowers and fruits without anything? Are they more so prolific or seems once a crop goes they begin to fruit again?

Thanks to you both!

lebmung:
They require a cold period try to leave them outside in December until the hard freezing of January, a month is enough.
PS: pump some N

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version