Author Topic: Compact Mango Suggestions  (Read 93655 times)

starch

• My brain is like oatmeal
    • Chandler, AZ. zone 9b
    • View Profile
Re: Compact Mango Suggestions
« Reply #200 on: September 13, 2015, 05:49:19 PM »
Tomato mango is another compact little mango tree.  A mature Tree is  8 x 6.5 . The fruit is small and flat like a tomato. About the size of Anwar Ratol Manohar, strong , sweet, spice flavor  with little  to no fiber. This one was one of Jim Nietzel and Leo Manual favorite in 2013 La Habra tasting.

Mother tree
25 years old

Thanks JF! Wow, for 25 years old that is really staying nice and compact! I updated the master list, and added a page and table entry for the Tomato mango!
- Mark

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #201 on: September 13, 2015, 06:10:44 PM »
Sweet Tart was listed as a "compact grower" in zill's price list, but my experience has been that it's upright and reasonably vigorous.

If you read through that list, therecare a number of characteristics that need to be corrected.
- Rob

JF

• North OC California Zone 10B/America Tropical 13A
    • 90631/97000
    • View Profile
« Reply #202 on: September 13, 2015, 07:13:28 PM »
Tomato mango is another compact little mango tree.  A mature Tree is  8 x 6.5 . The fruit is small and flat like a tomato. About the size of Anwar Ratol Manohar, strong , sweet, spice flavor  with little  to no fiber. This one was one of Jim Nietzel and Leo Manual favorite in 2013 La Habra tasting.

Mother tree
25 years old

Thanks JF! Wow, for 25 years old that is really staying nice and compact! I updated the master list, and added a page and table entry for the Tomato mango!

This is a natural dwarf, it's an alternate bearer heavy one year very light the next and early season mango in Socal (August). I have one graft on a cocktail tree and it's doing great. Only drawback is that's very susceptible to powdery mildew from March to June.... I've seen it lose it's entire crop. I told the owners that sulphur applications are absolutely necessary however they've ignored it and paid the price.

Mark in Texas

• Fredericksburg Texas, (central TX), zone 8a
    • View Profile
« Reply #203 on: September 14, 2015, 07:57:46 AM »
Great input from all. Thanks!

BluePalm

• 32780 Florida, Zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #204 on: September 14, 2015, 09:04:01 AM »
I was the poster who said the Mallika tasted like carrots; and they did one year. However, in subsequent years, if they are picked at the right time they are some of the best mangoes I've had. However, they are finicky on when to be picked, and if picked too early/too late can have a carrot taste or fizz grape soda taste (overripe). I would not ax the tree we have.
They're like the Varmint-Cong...

Mark in Texas

• View Profile
« Reply #205 on: September 14, 2015, 10:50:32 AM »
I have a Mallika but I let them go completely ripe/yellow on the tree being a newbie with growing mangos.  Taste was fantastic, brix was at a whopping 26, but the flesh was soft which I don't like.  First time harvesting so I'll learn.  Gonna harvest next time "ripe green" and let it ripen on the counter as recommended.

zands

• mango_zango
    • Zone 10b, Florida, USA, 33321
    • View Profile
« Reply #206 on: September 14, 2015, 11:22:56 AM »
I was the poster who said the Mallika tasted like carrots; and they did one year. However, in subsequent years, if they are picked at the right time they are some of the best mangoes I've had. However, they are finicky on when to be picked, and if picked too early/too late can have a carrot taste or fizz grape soda taste (overripe). I would not ax the tree we have.

It's not just mallika anymore. Accusations flying around, other mangoes also having a carrot taste such as Val-Carrie

https://goo.gl/sWXdnp

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #207 on: September 14, 2015, 12:18:46 PM »
Val Carrie has a carrot taste??  Huh?   ???
- Rob

zands

• mango_zango
    • Zone 10b, Florida, USA, 33321
    • View Profile
« Reply #208 on: September 14, 2015, 01:41:56 PM »

Said here http://tropicalfruitforum.com/index.php?topic=6398.440;wap2         Don't shoot me I just play the piano downstairs

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #209 on: September 14, 2015, 02:14:17 PM »

Said here http://tropicalfruitforum.com/index.php?topic=6398.440;wap2         Don't shoot me I just play the piano downstairs

Consider the source. ..from someone who has described a mango as tasting  like that of goddess nectar and other off the wall descriptions.
- Rob

Mark in Texas

• View Profile
« Reply #210 on: September 14, 2015, 02:54:10 PM »
Tough crowd tonight........  8)

starch

• Chandler, AZ. zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #211 on: September 23, 2015, 12:03:04 PM »

This is a natural dwarf, it's an alternate bearer heavy one year very light the next and early season mango in Socal (August). I have one graft on a cocktail tree and it's doing great. Only drawback is that's very susceptible to powdery mildew from March to June.... I've seen it lose it's entire crop. I told the owners that sulphur applications are absolutely necessary however they've ignored it and paid the price.

Table and cultivar description updated, thanks!
- Mark

starch

• Chandler, AZ. zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #212 on: September 23, 2015, 12:06:24 PM »

Thanks BluePalm, I updated with Mallika page with this tasting comment.
- Mark

rcantor

• KC, MO
    • View Profile
« Reply #213 on: December 27, 2015, 10:18:21 PM »
When people describe the tomato mango as having a spice note to its taste, is that a euphemism for turpentine?  Thanks.

gunnar429

• Nothing like fruit from your own yard!
    • West Park, FL 33023, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #214 on: December 27, 2015, 11:30:40 PM »
Rob, I know you said Frances Hargrave is a slow grower, maybe good for pot culture...would you consider it worthy of this list of compact growers (like Maha and Pickering in the sense that they can be kept small, but may one day get large if left unchecked)?

Only had one FH fruit and it was slightly overripe, but it had a great flavor IIRC
~Jeff

"Say you just can't live that negative way, if you know what I mean. Make way for the positive day." - Positive Vibration

starch

• Chandler, AZ. zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #215 on: January 25, 2016, 03:13:18 PM »
Cultivar Information for the master list of compact mango trees

Cultivar Name: Amrapali

Tree Size, Growth Rate, Vigorousness

-- dwarf(REF)

-- Amrapali is supposed to be dwarf (http://www.fruitipedia.com/Mango.htm)(REF)

-- Mango trees to keep in container: Amrapali(REF)

-- Unfortunately Alfonso's don't do very well in the U.S. I only had a few decent ones. Amrapali grown in SoCal is much better than Alfonso. Do you have this variety in tenerife? According to sources in India Amrapali is a few years away from toppling Alfonso as the King of mangos.(REF)

-- Amrapali and Jumbo Amrapali are slow growers here but the fruit is much better than Malika and Alfonso. Alfonso has major internal breakdown and Malika is difucult to time.
here are pix of Amrapali & Jumbo Amrapali grafted next to each other and Alfonso  sponge internal breakdown some turn black.(REF)

Productivity and Precociousness

-- precocious, a regular and heavy bearer(REF)

Ripening Time (Location dependent)

-- late in the season (REF)

Flavor / Color / Tasting Notes

-- My one and only runt fruit was picked green and ripened on the counter for a week. Taste was awesome! To me, the taste is right up there with the  Alphonso mango. Sorry, didn't take pictures of the cut fruit. Remembered it had deep orange color flesh. (REF)

-- From Julia Morton: "Another new hybrid, 'Amrapali', of which 'Dashehari' was the female parent and 'Neelam' the male, is definitely dwarf, precocious, a regular and heavy bearer, and late in the season. The fruit is only medium in size; flesh is rich orange, fiberless, sweet and 2 to 3 times as high in carotene as either parent."(REF)

-- Forgot to add this mango the real Amrapali
Brix 27  this is one of the sweetest I've had right there with White Chaunsa & Gary but much more complex. Reminds me of the floral taste of seacrest with a slight piney finish. We will propagate this variety next year as well as Jumbo Amrapali.
Amrapali is from the same hybrid breeding project Malika came from in India but unlike Malika you don't need to play the guessing  game when to harvest it. Top 10 mango(REF)

-- This year I tasted Amrapali for the first time. The taste was excellent! In taste and texture was like the Alphonso mangos from India that I have enjoyed in the past. (REF)
- Mark

starch

• Chandler, AZ. zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #216 on: January 26, 2016, 05:05:42 PM »
When people describe the tomato mango as having a spice note to its taste, is that a euphemism for turpentine?  Thanks.

No spicy is a distinct mango flavor. It can sometimes be combined with a turpentine (which I would describe as piney [pleasant] vs resinous [unpleasant]).

There are quite a few mango flavors that people tend to describe (and some of the will happen in lots of combinations in some mangoes):
- Classic: Overall sweet mango flavor like in Hayden or Kent or Manila
- Honey: Honey flavor and aroma like in NDM
- Spicy: distinct sharp flavor of spice in the way that coriander seed can be described as a spicy orange flavor
- Tropical: Coconut or pineapple (or both!)
- Piney: very refreshing when it balances sweet, like in Alphonso
- Tart: acidic or sub-acid component that balances sweet in a very different way, like in LZ or Keitt

There are other descriptions too (and the real connoisseurs will discern those), but I would say these are the basic categories.
- Mark

starch

• Chandler, AZ. zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #217 on: January 26, 2016, 05:10:09 PM »
Rob, I know you said Frances Hargrave is a slow grower, maybe good for pot culture...would you consider it worthy of this list of compact growers (like Maha and Pickering in the sense that they can be kept small, but may one day get large if left unchecked)?

Only had one FH fruit and it was slightly overripe, but it had a great flavor IIRC

Possibly another to add to the list ? :)
- Mark

JF

• North OC California Zone 10B/America Tropical 13A
    • 90631/97000
    • View Profile
« Reply #218 on: January 26, 2016, 05:56:01 PM »

If you wish to add Rudiett is a natural dwarf

http://tropicalfruitforum.com/index.php?topic=18899.0

rcantor

• KC, MO
    • View Profile
« Reply #219 on: January 27, 2016, 01:08:36 AM »

No spicy is a distinct mango flavor. It can sometimes be combined with a turpentine (which I would describe as piney [pleasant] vs resinous [unpleasant]).

There are quite a few mango flavors that people tend to describe (and some of the will happen in lots of combinations in some mangoes):
- Classic: Overall sweet mango flavor like in Hayden or Kent or Manila
<snip>

There are other descriptions too (and the real connoisseurs will discern those), but I would say these are the basic categories.

Since there's no 'like' button I'll just say, Thanks!

starch

• Chandler, AZ. zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #220 on: January 27, 2016, 10:40:31 AM »
Cultivar Information for the master list of compact mango trees

Cultivar Name: Rudiett

Tree Size, Growth Rate, Vigorousness

-- natural dwarf(REF)

-- super dwarf (see pic) (REF)

Productivity and Precociousness

-- super (dwarf and) producer(REF)

Ripening Time (Location dependent)

-- late (REF)

Flavor / Color / Tasting Notes

-- Rudiett is excellent just had a two pounder ( brix20) delicious :) (REF)

-- Rudiett (20 brix) a Keitt seedling. It's a late mango, October to March, totally fiberless, firm and fruity....the fruit punch of the West coast.(REF)
- Mark

starch

• Chandler, AZ. zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #221 on: January 27, 2016, 10:47:32 AM »

If you wish to add Rudiett is a natural dwarf

http://tropicalfruitforum.com/index.php?topic=18899.0

Thanks JF! I added an entry for it and updated the list and table!
- Mark

starch

• Chandler, AZ. zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #222 on: February 09, 2016, 08:39:27 PM »
I was watching the Daley Fruit Biodome tour: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rZKxEjN5C_k and at 3:40 she states that Irwin is a dwarf mango.

Would that be a good one to put on the list? Do you find it to be a dwarf cultivar?
- Mark

wslau

• La Palma, CA, USA, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #223 on: February 10, 2016, 12:07:40 AM »
Starch,
Rliou and I both have Irwin, and it appears to be a slow grower in SoCal.  His is on turpentine rootstock and mine is on ataulfo rootstock.
Warren

mangomandan

• When a man is tired of mangos, he is tired of life
    • USA, Lake Worth, Florida, 33461, 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #224 on: February 10, 2016, 12:55:10 AM »
Irwin does well as a greenhouse mango in Japan.

I don't know about their growing techniques. Possibly considered trade secrets?