Author Topic: What are the best varieties of wax jambu?  (Read 2324 times)

stephen

• Los Angeles, CA, Zone 10B
    • View Profile
What are the best varieties of wax jambu?
« on: September 01, 2020, 05:43:43 PM »
Hey, everyone. Do you have any thoughts on the best varieties of wax jambu? I found one variety called Borneo Red. Is that a good one?

I'm looking for something that I can keep in a container for a while until I can find more room to plant more trees.

Thanks!

palingkecil

• Los Angeles
    • View Profile
Re: What are the best varieties of wax jambu?
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2020, 08:06:50 PM »
Thai jumbo is the sweetest one I've ever tried. Unfortunately it takes years before it can bear fruit.
I never heard of Borneo Red, is it from Borneo?
Alex from Papaya Tree Nursery has an unknown variety that is sweet, productive, and precocious. Plenty of fruit in a 5 gallon.
Other varieties like Black Pearl, Black Diamond, or Black Kingkong are depends on the growing conditions. I tasted super bland and tasteless Black Pearl grown in El Monte, but a pretty good ones from another source in Arcadia

stephen

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2020, 04:08:49 AM »
Thanks for your response! Sadly I don't really know if Borneo Red is really from Borneo. I just happen to find the variety at a nursery, but haven't gotten it yet. I'll try Papaya Tree Nursery, but it seems hard to get plants from Alex. I believe you have to make an appointment, and from my experience it doesn't seem like he has the plants I'm looking for in stock. Have you ever purchased plants from him?

Thai jumbo is the sweetest one I've ever tried. Unfortunately it takes years before it can bear fruit.
Alex from Papaya Tree Nursery has an unknown variety that is sweet, productive, and precocious. Plenty of fruit in a 5 gallon.
Other varieties like Black Pearl, Black Diamond, or Black Kingkong are depends on the growing conditions. I tasted super bland and tasteless Black Pearl grown in El Monte, but a pretty good ones from another source in Arcadia

Mike T

• Zone 12a
  • Cairns,Nth Qld, Australia
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2020, 06:55:09 AM »
Just to be clear we are talking about the real deal S.samarangense and not S.mallacense. Chantaburi Red a couple of big pinks and that red star green are pretty good in Thailand and the Taiwanese one just seem to be rebadged Thai wax apples. Can the real black pearl step forward? The pix seem inconsistent and I don't think I have ever tried one..

palingkecil

• Los Angeles
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2020, 12:25:20 PM »
Thanks for your response! Sadly I don't really know if Borneo Red is really from Borneo. I just happen to find the variety at a nursery, but haven't gotten it yet. I'll try Papaya Tree Nursery, but it seems hard to get plants from Alex. I believe you have to make an appointment, and from my experience it doesn't seem like he has the plants I'm looking for in stock. Have you ever purchased plants from him?

Yes, I've purchased many plants from Alex, and I am happy to say all plants I got from him are healthy and productive.
To purchase the plant, usually I will email him first explain what I want, then ask to put me in the waiting list if it is not available. Usually it takes 6 months for him to graft or airlayer a plant.
One thing I know, he won't sell a plant that is not 100% ready.
You can visit his nursery by appointment, during the covid is actually easy to get same day appointment. I visited him twice during the covid. Face mask required and he will maintain 6 ft distance with you.
He knows a lot about tropical plants, he will explain how to take care of each plant for hours. One thing I really like about purchasing from him is, he is honest. If he thinks it won't do well in your zone, he will tell you.

Satya

• North Miami Beach, FL , Zone 10b
    • View Profile
    • Growing rare tropicals and fruit trees.
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2020, 09:48:38 PM »
I purchased an airlayered  black diamond wax jambu from a CA seller, his description said S. samarangense not S. malaccense so i hope it is the real deal. Put in ground in spring this year from a 3g pot and it is very happy and has bushed up. Hoping for fruits next season.

sunny

• Thailand
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2020, 10:57:20 PM »
I've tried all the varieties available in Thailand and think that none is the best. They all can be sweet if grown well and picked at the right time. But they also get sprayed a lot against insects, so they're not that healthy and i stopped eating them.

Seanny

• Garden Grove, Orange County, California, 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2020, 11:04:43 PM »
Mom’s 3G tree fruited when in pot.
It grew for 3 years in ground.
We got a handful of fruits for 3 years.
4th year was the first time it had major fruiting.

Mikey

• San Diego, ca
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2020, 02:02:20 AM »
I got this green wax jambu from Ong nursery and it took me 7 years to fruit.  But it is worth the wait.

sunny

• Thailand
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 03, 2020, 03:46:22 AM »
I got this green wax jambu from Ong nursery and it took me 7 years to fruit.  But it is worth the wait.

A grafted tree can bloom after a few months.

jmart777

• Chula Vista, California Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 03, 2020, 06:31:53 AM »

I believe I got the same green long bell shape wax jambu from Ong about 4 years ago but mine are so bland. I was hoping they would get better with time. Are yours sweet?

sunny

• Thailand
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 03, 2020, 06:36:13 AM »

I believe I got the same green long bell shape wax jambu from Ong about 4 years ago but mine are so bland. I was hoping they would get better with time. Are yours sweet?

The sweetest one i ever ate was homegrown on a small tree, i gave it a lot of potassium and sprayed it weekly with seaweedextract. It was really sweet...yes they can also be bland and look perfect...the first ones in season are always picked too early and bland..

Seanny

• Garden Grove, Orange County, California, 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 03, 2020, 03:47:49 PM »
I have a green variety in ground.
Gotten a few fruits for the last 2 years.
Very slow grower.

buddy roo

• Spring Valley, Ca.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 04, 2020, 09:13:45 AM »

is that all the bigger they get ?

marklee

• Chula Vista, California Zone 24 or 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 04, 2020, 09:39:26 PM »
I got one called "Kecil" from Frankies in Hawaii 9 years ago as a one gallon. It is now about 15-20 feet tall and produces a real good flavored fruit. Ong should have that variety soon, I also have the Thai long green one from Ong and it tastes real good.

stephen

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 05, 2020, 05:40:29 PM »
Thanks for all your thoughts! I really appreciate it :)

Mike T

• Zone 12a
  • Cairns,Nth Qld, Australia
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 05, 2020, 05:55:27 PM »
I don't know if there are any non-Thai (or Taiwanese) varieties of quality out there.

Tommyng

• Acreage florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 06, 2020, 06:55:45 AM »
The best one I have had with globe shaped. Very crispy and refreshing.
Don’t rush, take time and enjoy life and food.

sunny

• Thailand
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 06, 2020, 09:57:09 AM »
The best one I have had with globe shaped. Very crispy and refreshing.

In asia it's not easy to keep them safe from the insects....they spray a lot of chemicals to keep them at bay....you can taste it, it makes em bitter...

I tried to grow them without spraying chemicals but then they all had issues all the time....so i grew them in under a very fine net but still i had issues with the fruit rotting and so i stopped growing these.  They like full sun and very high temps.

Tommyng

• Acreage florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 06, 2020, 10:41:29 AM »
I have a few of the seedlings from this globe Jambu, the one under the canopy of an avocado tree has tremendous growth.
Don’t rush, take time and enjoy life and food.

Nyuu

• Florida , lake placid 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 06, 2020, 11:28:31 AM »
Ready close related fruit Rose Apple / Syzygium jambos one of my favorites and White jamun would be second place for me