Author Topic: Where to buy the fruit for top tier mango varieties?  (Read 1720 times)

Julie

• Miami, FL, Zone 10B
    • View Profile
Where to buy the fruit for top tier mango varieties?
« on: November 14, 2020, 08:06:06 PM »
Hi everyone, I'm planning on adding 2 mangoes to my yard during summer 2021 but I want to try the fruit first.  I live in Miami very close to Homestead.  Here are the varieties I would like to try (based on this forum):

Sugarloaf
O-15
M-4
Sweet Tart
Piña Colada
Julie
Juicy Peach
Butter Cream
Creme Bruleé
Fruit Cocktail
Lemon Zest
Sunrise
Sunset
Cotton Candy
Pineapple Pleasure

It seems like Tropical Acres Farm which ships the fruit is my best bet, not sure how expensive this is.  I can drive to Palm Beach County but not every weekend.  What are the names/locations of growers that sell the fruit for these varieties in South FL? Also, is Lara Farms a good place to buy the grafted trees or should I buy from one of the nurseries in Palm Beach County?

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
Re: Where to buy the fruit for top tier mango varieties?
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2020, 08:27:33 PM »
There is also a farm in Broward County, Hidden Acres, that sell most or all of those varieties.   They do not ship (at least they didnt as of 2019).
- Rob

Julie

• Miami, FL, Zone 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2020, 09:48:16 PM »
Thank you, very helpful and that is closer than PBC.  Is there a Zill storefront in PBC?  Most of the mangoes I want to try are new Zill varieties.  I don't see a website for Zill.

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2020, 09:55:03 PM »
Thank you, very helpful and that is closer than PBC.  Is there a Zill storefront in PBC?  Most of the mangoes I want to try are new Zill varieties.  I don't see a website for Zill.

Walter Zill sells fruit (Zills Mangos), some of the newer varieties.   He is in East Boynton.  ZHPP sells fruit, when available,  but they have tightened their reins on allowing non-wholesale buyers plus the issue with Covid (the fruit also tends to be picked too green).

Hidden Acres grows most of the newer varieties.
- Rob

johnb51

• USA Deerfield Beach, FL Zone 11a
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2020, 10:05:22 PM »
(the fruit also tends to be picked too green).

You do not want that!  And that's a comment we heard a lot in 2020 about ZHHP.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2020, 10:13:37 PM by johnb51 »
John

murahilin

• Administrator
    • USA Greenacres, Florida Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2020, 10:11:46 PM »
Hi everyone, I'm planning on adding 2 mangoes to my yard during summer 2021 but I want to try the fruit first.  I live in Miami very close to Homestead.  Here are the varieties I would like to try (based on this forum):

Sugarloaf
O-15
M-4
Sweet Tart
Piña Colada
Julie
Juicy Peach
Butter Cream
Creme Bruleé
Fruit Cocktail
Lemon Zest
Sunrise
Sunset
Cotton Candy
Pineapple Pleasure

It seems like Tropical Acres Farm which ships the fruit is my best bet, not sure how expensive this is.  I can drive to Palm Beach County but not every weekend.  What are the names/locations of growers that sell the fruit for these varieties in South FL? Also, is Lara Farms a good place to buy the grafted trees or should I buy from one of the nurseries in Palm Beach County?

I think you should at least make the trip up to Tropical Acres a few times during the mango season. They have more varieties of mango for sale than probably any other farm in the entire US.

johnb51

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2020, 10:15:31 PM »
I think you should at least make the trip up to Tropical Acres a few times during the mango season. They have more varieties of mango for sale than probably any other farm in the entire US.
+1
John

Julie

• Miami, FL, Zone 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2020, 10:24:54 PM »
Thank you!  Tropical Acres Farm is the only one on my list that has every variety including M-4 which I have my heart set on trying.  However now I have several other farms that carry some of the varieties on my list.  Mangoes being picked too early is a major disappointment I agree, so that's why I want to have all my favorite varieties planted in my yard so I can control that aspect. 

For everyone recommending driving to Tropical Acres, is that preferable to shipping?  Do they offer more in their storefront than online?

johnb51

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2020, 11:10:58 PM »
Thank you!  Tropical Acres Farm is the only one on my list that has every variety including M-4 which I have my heart set on trying.  However now I have several other farms that carry some of the varieties on my list.  Mangoes being picked too early is a major disappointment I agree, so that's why I want to have all my favorite varieties planted in my yard so I can control that aspect. 

For everyone recommending driving to Tropical Acres, is that preferable to shipping?  Do they offer more in their storefront than online?
If you drive up to WPB, you can always make a stop at Truly Tropical in Delray Beach.  Ask Satya where you should go.  He seems to have made the rounds in 2020.
John

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 14, 2020, 11:31:49 PM »

If you drive up to WPB, you can always make a stop at Truly Tropical in Delray Beach.  Ask Satya where you should go.  He seems to have made the rounds in 2020.

Buyer beware at Truly Tropical, too, with fruit being picked too green and not ripening properly.
- Rob

Frog Valley Farm

• Messages have been disabled here
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 15, 2020, 06:51:03 AM »
No news here.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2021, 05:38:46 AM by Frog Valley Farm »

skhan

• United States, Florida, Coral Springs, 10b
    • View Profile
    • Videos of Garden
« Reply #11 on: November 15, 2020, 08:31:26 AM »
You can try mangomen homestead or even miamifruit.

The former picks a little too green for my taste (Though things like Malika are spot-on), the latter might be a little more expensive.

The best places that i get from (excluding my yard or forum member yards) are Zills Mangos and Tropical Acres Farm.
I have yet to go to Hidden Acres

Future

• The Future
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 15, 2020, 02:02:40 PM »
I’ve had good results with Tropical Acres, Walter Zill, Truly Tropical.  Zills HPP has been pretty good. Mangomen are great guys but too many times I’ve had prematurely picked fruit - they seem to be trying to beaten other sellers to the market. Hidden Acres is new to me...one to check out on 2021.  What’s their address or website?

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 15, 2020, 02:04:12 PM »
I’ve had good results with Tropical Acres, Walter Zill, Truly Tropical.  Zills HPP has been pretty good. Mangomen are great guys but too many times I’ve had prematurely picked fruit - they seem to be trying to beaten other sellers to the market. Hidden Acres is new to me...one to check out on 2021.  What’s their address or website?

Google "hidden acres farm" and you will see their Facebook page.
- Rob

Julie

• Miami, FL, Zone 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 16, 2020, 01:19:51 AM »
Thanks for the replies and I agree about mangomen.  I'll reach out to Tropical Acres to see how the ordering process works.  I definitely prefer organic/pesticide-free but I'm willing to make an exception so that I can taste these varieties before planting.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk