Author Topic: Must-have eugenias (based on flavor)  (Read 12067 times)

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
Re: Must-have eugenias (based on flavor)
« Reply #25 on: February 08, 2015, 04:31:00 AM »
Gunnar , another excellent but acid Eugenia is the subspecies sororia of the E. stipitata . Pulp is orange and very flavorful . I just planted more of these . They take 4 to 5 months to germinate ( seeds )

super excited about this one...have some seedlings doing well so far....and have plans to propagate it in the future!

for me, being in central FL, I'd say these are my favs:

E. uniflora (good varieties only)
E. involucrata
E. selloi
E. pyriformis
E. candolleana
E. brasiliensis (yellow fruited from Treesnmore was best i've tasted by far)
E. luschnathiana
E. reinwardtiana

still working on some species that might be great for my area...
E. calycina
E. itaguahiensis
E. mattosii
E. pyriformis x lutescens
E. involucrata (yellow fruited selection?)
E. pitanga
E. florida
E. lutescens
E. subterminalis (or whatever the real name is? not sure if it's plinia now?)
and a few others!!

E. subterminalis is really a plinia. Seems to be an undescribed species of plinia. Jim West told me in personal conversation that he realized Eugenia subterminalis was incorrect species and genus names.
Oscar

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
  • www.FlyingFoxFruits.com
    • USA, FEMA Region IV, FL Zone 9a
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
« Reply #26 on: February 08, 2015, 11:19:32 AM »
thanks Oscar!

I remember hearing this, I cant keep up with all these names!

Gunnar , another excellent but acid Eugenia is the subspecies sororia of the E. stipitata . Pulp is orange and very flavorful . I just planted more of these . They take 4 to 5 months to germinate ( seeds )

super excited about this one...have some seedlings doing well so far....and have plans to propagate it in the future!

for me, being in central FL, I'd say these are my favs:

E. uniflora (good varieties only)
E. involucrata
E. selloi
E. pyriformis
E. candolleana
E. brasiliensis (yellow fruited from Treesnmore was best i've tasted by far)
E. luschnathiana
E. reinwardtiana

still working on some species that might be great for my area...
E. calycina
E. itaguahiensis
E. mattosii
E. pyriformis x lutescens
E. involucrata (yellow fruited selection?)
E. pitanga
E. florida
E. lutescens
E. subterminalis (or whatever the real name is? not sure if it's plinia now?)
and a few others!!

E. subterminalis is really a plinia. Seems to be an undescribed species of plinia. Jim West told me in personal conversation that he realized Eugenia subterminalis was incorrect species and genus names.
www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

https://www.ebay.com/usr/flyingfoxfruits

www.youtube.com/FlyingFoxFruits

https://www.instagram.com/flyingfoxfruits/
I disabled the forum's personal messaging system, please send an email to contact me, FlyingFoxFruits@gmail.com

gunnar429

• Nothing like fruit from your own yard!
    • West Park, FL 33023, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 09, 2015, 10:53:11 AM »
Will pitomba, cherry of rio grande, araza, pitangatuba, or candolleana  fruit in part-sun?  I want to make a shrub border but there is a passionfruit wine growing on the fence in front of it, so it would get less sun during winter months, but wouldn't be a problem from spring-fall, when the sun is overhead.

Thanks
« Last Edit: February 09, 2015, 10:55:13 AM by gunnar429 »
~Jeff

"Say you just can't live that negative way, if you know what I mean. Make way for the positive day." - Positive Vibration

FMfruitforest

• Tropical Fruit
    • USA, FL,zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 09, 2020, 05:39:58 AM »
Great Thread, I feel it’s worth a bump. I wish I could find more nutrition facts on the fruits.

Mike T

• Zone 12a
  • Cairns,Nth Qld, Australia
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 09, 2020, 10:00:27 AM »
the list may not have changed much in the 5 years since it was put together but some dishonourable discharges and additions may be possible. My list of the ten best sweet types would not include stuff like araza and pitangatuba, nor would matossi get a look in.

elouicious

• Houston, Tx
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: December 16, 2021, 09:49:13 AM »
Mike- I know I am reviving an old thread but would love your input and/or list here, given your experience you may have tasted to most on here

Mike T

• Zone 12a
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: December 17, 2021, 04:40:00 PM »
I just answered another thread asking almost the same and said,  "The best unifloras, yellow/orange grumis, dysentaria, candolleana, pyriformis x lutesens pitomba, lutescens, multicostata, sweet form of patrisii are some near the front of the quality line."
Some of the new ones Sallami is distributing might make the grade and CORG forms like good calycina are pretty good.
Pyriformis, selloi, cedar bay cherries are examples of species that should not be on anyones list.

Kevin Jones

• Alabama - USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: December 18, 2021, 10:52:24 AM »
I know this is a duplicate from another message... but it seemed relevant...

My Garnet CORG/Calycina trees have been producing large yellow fleshed fruit with a very juicy Peachy/Apricot flavor with a hint of Pineapple... and no off-tase at all.

Kevin

Caesar

• PR
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 09, 2024, 01:42:03 PM »
Mike- I know I am reviving an old thread but would love your input and/or list here, given your experience you may have tasted to most on here

It makes more sense to me to revive old threads rather than making new redundant topics. Not sure if there’s a forum policy about it though.

I’ve started collecting myrtles again, particularly Eugenias, after a several year pause. I’ve only tasted two so far: E. selloi (Moderately sour – decent out of hand – with a complex tropical flavor and a faint aftertaste resembling pitanga), and one of Miguel’s E. florida (decent flavor but scant flesh, poor pulp to seed ratio).

Others that haven’t borne for me yet are Red Grumichama, Orange “CORG”, Dasyblasta Pitanga, Candolleana, Sweet Uvaia and Cedar Bay Cherry (this last one bore one fruit, but I left it an extra day to ripen properly and it was promptly stolen, seemingly by a bird). I had an E. patrisii from Vitor that bore a tiny, good tasting fruit, but I killed it by neglect years ago... regrets... I haven’t seen any activity from Vitor in a long time, perhaps due to tightening restrictions from Brazil. These days, most of the exotic stock I’ve been seeing is coming in through Bellamy Trees.

I just answered another thread asking almost the same and said,  "The best unifloras, yellow/orange grumis, dysentaria, candolleana, pyriformis x lutesens pitomba, lutescens, multicostata, sweet form of patrisii are some near the front of the quality line."
Some of the new ones Sallami is distributing might make the grade and CORG forms like good calycina are pretty good.
Pyriformis, selloi, cedar bay cherries are examples of species that should not be on anyones list.

I’ve been afraid to try E. dysenterica because of potential laxative effects. I’m surprised to see E. pyriformis among your rejects... is it the pulp ratio? The sour variant? I see you have its cross with E. lutescens, as well as E. lutescens itself. Where does the Sweet Uvaia fit into your scheme? With the coveted hybrid & species or with the rejected species?

I had recently thought to reject Pitomba entirely due to repeated reports of a ham-like aftertaste (big no-no for my palate), but I’ve also seen reports of excellent, aftertaste-free flavor, so I’m wondering if it would be worth it. Could it be, like Nelita E. calycina, there are clones with good taste and clones with poor taste? How would one track down seed from the best clones?

Any particular reason for rejecting selloi? Do you prefer sweet fruit? I prefer sweets, but I found it tolerably sour and interesting enough to warrant inclusion into the list of must-haves. I also didn’t notice any weird flavor, so I’d lump it in with the sour types more than with the acquired-taste oddballs (like the garlicky E. anomala or the hammy types of Pitomba).

What about Cedar Bay Cherry? I used to think it was a must-have from all the reports, but it recently occurred to me that it’s not the same to say “One of the better Australian fruits” as “One of the better Eugenias”. I’ve seen the former statement, but not the latter. My biggest fear is that it’ll have a poor pulp-to-seed ratio like E. florida.

Crafting a list without direct experience is a struggle, but I trust the judgment of those who’ve tasted them, and generally go by consensus. I focus on the better-known species, and usually ignore the über rare types by default (although some may catch my interest aside from the act of listing the “must-haves”). Also, anything that has a poor pulp-to-seed ratio gets rejected by default, no matter how rave the reviews. The way I figure, the only way scant pulp could be justified in a Eugenia is if the seed is easily crunched without ill flavor... I’d treat it like a berry in that case, and eat it whole. Otherwise, they’re not worth giving prime space to.

With that in mind, my “Gotta catch ‘em all” list is as follows: Pitanga (resin-free types like dasyblasta), Cherry of Rio Grande (CORG), Grumichama, Candolleana, Pitangatuba, Sweet Uvaia, Arazá (for the sourness), and maybe Cedar Bay Cherry.

Among the rare species that have caught my attention are E. cribrata and E. beaurepaireana. Both are reportedly good-flavored, and both seem to have decent size and pulp ratio. The latter seems to me, though, like it might be redundant with the sweet uvaia. I also wonder what might have been with my E. patrisii...

What rare types catch y’all’s attention?

I know this is a duplicate from another message... but it seemed relevant...

My Garnet CORG/Calycina trees have been producing large yellow fleshed fruit with a very juicy Peachy/Apricot flavor with a hint of Pineapple... and no off-tase at all.

Kevin

Do you sell seeds/seedlings of Garnet?

BenjaminJohnson

• USA,WA,Bellevue,8B
    • View Profile
    • https://eastsidegardening.etsy.com
« Reply #34 on: February 09, 2024, 01:52:30 PM »
Did you leave out Surinam Cherries?  (Uniflora)  I haven't had the chance to try a lot of Eugenia fruits yet; most of my plants are still too small; but I had the chance to eat some surinam cherries in Maui last summer and they were really good.  Cedar Bay cherries were great, too.  (Reinwardtiana)

Caesar

• PR
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: February 09, 2024, 02:22:42 PM »
I forgot they were called that, tbh.  ::)

I called them Pitangas for most of my post, but there’s an actual E. pitanga, so perhaps I just confused things further.

I’ve had Surinam Cherries from a Lolita seedling, and while I can enjoy them, I did find the resinous factor a bit too funky for my palate. My options for resin-free cherries were to get a grafted Zill Dark or Black Star, or seeds of dasyblasta... I prefer growing from seed in this case, so I went with the dasyblastas, and currently have 6 plants in 1 gallon pots.

Jaboticaba45

• Check out TN Tropical Fruits!
  • Tropical Fruit Tree Connoisseur
    • Chattanooga TN 7b
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: February 09, 2024, 02:57:57 PM »
There are so many new Eugenia's hitting the market...Just unboxed like another 20 from Bellamytrees lol.
Some ones that have stood out among his listings for taste are pisiformis, cereja, burkartiana, pulcherrima, delicata, etc.
And then there's the ones that are bird food, and then there are the ones that look beautiful and have big fruits that probably are not that good.
It's a game of plant the seed and wait. Also, there may be improved selections, so it'll take another couple decades to get the new Eugenia's sorted out for us.

brian

• Pennsylvania (zone 6) w/ heated greenhouse
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: February 09, 2024, 03:37:35 PM »
There are so many new Eugenia's hitting the market...Just unboxed like another 20 from Bellamytrees lol.
Some ones that have stood out among his listings for taste are pisiformis, cereja, burkartiana, pulcherrima, delicata, etc.
And then there's the ones that are bird food, and then there are the ones that look beautiful and have big fruits that probably are not that good.
It's a game of plant the seed and wait. Also, there may be improved selections, so it'll take another couple decades to get the new Eugenia's sorted out for us.

Yup I have a ton of these new eugenias growing also... soon people will start getting fruit and be able to make evaluations.  I have at least a dozen ~2yr old ones that are 1-3ft tall now and might could start flowering soon.  I'm sure a lot of others here are doing the same and we will hear a lot more about them very soon.

mcoambassador

• Growing fun fruit in my backyard garden.
    • USA, Florida, Oviedo, 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: February 09, 2024, 08:23:23 PM »
I’m intrigued by the purported 21 varieties of Eugenia Pyriformis AKA uvaia. And it’s hybrids…

Based on this article below, E.Pyriformis is diploid (2n=33). Does that mean it can be hybridized with any other diploid Eugenia, such as khlotschiana and dysenterica? There are some diploid varieties of e.pitanga, hyemalis, punicifolia also.

https://citeseerx.ist.psu.edu/document?repid=rep1&type=pdf&doi=076f42dd5592f3501e16c51f4b6a8e26661d70cc

Mike T

• Zone 12a
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: February 10, 2024, 04:53:01 AM »
Are there any other proven crosses other than with lutescens? My Eugenia journey has been a long and winding road filled with disappointment. Very few seem to be able to accurately describe fruit flavours and quality and of the dozens of species I have grown or sampled few live up to their promise and reputation.

Caesar

• PR
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: February 10, 2024, 06:34:12 AM »

What’s the pulp ratio on these? I ignored a few well-recommended types like E. pitanga and E. itaguahiensis ‘cause they looked to me like they had a poor pulp ratio.

I’m intrigued by the purported 21 varieties of Eugenia Pyriformis AKA uvaia. And it’s hybrids…

Based on this article below, E.Pyriformis is diploid (2n=33). Does that mean it can be hybridized with any other diploid Eugenia, such as khlotschiana and dysenterica? There are some diploid varieties of e.pitanga, hyemalis, punicifolia also.

https://citeseerx.ist.psu.edu/document?repid=rep1&type=pdf&doi=076f42dd5592f3501e16c51f4b6a8e26661d70cc

Now that’s the kind of info I like to see! Is there any ploidic info available for the more common species?

Are there any other proven crosses other than with lutescens? My Eugenia journey has been a long and winding road filled with disappointment. Very few seem to be able to accurately describe fruit flavours and quality and of the dozens of species I have grown or sampled few live up to their promise and reputation.

I noticed early on that not all of them lived up to the hype. Odd flavors and poor pulp ratios abound. But I feel like it’s all worth it to find the few diamonds among the roughs.

As for the hybrids, I think Adam managed to successfully cross Pitomba with Pitangatuba. He calls it Pitombatuba: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ucTLoF7Bfew&pp=ygULUGl0b21iYXR1YmE%3D

mikesid

• Zone 10B/11a - East Boynton Beach - Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: March 24, 2024, 03:27:52 PM »
 My Eugenia neosilvestris from Marcos fruited and gotta say it is in an excellent fruit. Great flavor with a brix of 26! I gave several of these away but not sure how they are doing. I stuck six in the ground and am now glad I did. Definitely one to have. Slow growers and can do very well in pots. I cant find my notes but I think I got them in 2018 or 2019? Only one has flowered and fruited so far. The birds have stolen more fruit than Ive got.

« Last Edit: March 24, 2024, 03:31:32 PM by mikesid »

daisyguy

• Gainesville, Florida (North Central Florida)
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: March 26, 2024, 04:00:31 PM »
My Eugenia neosilvestris from Marcos fruited and gotta say it is in an excellent fruit. Great flavor with a brix of 26! I gave several of these away but not sure how they are doing. I stuck six in the ground and am now glad I did. Definitely one to have. Slow growers and can do very well in pots. I cant find my notes but I think I got them in 2018 or 2019? Only one has flowered and fruited so far. The birds have stolen more fruit than Ive got.

That's a really pretty cross-section photo. How big are your fruit? The other images I've seen of neosilvestris showed really tiny fruits.

mikesid

• Zone 10B/11a - East Boynton Beach - Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: March 27, 2024, 09:15:48 AM »

That's a really pretty cross-section photo. How big are your fruit? The other images I've seen of neosilvestris showed really tiny fruits.

they are about the size of a grumichama. maybe slightly smaller. I heard they can be grafted on grumichama too.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk