Author Topic: Which livestock for mango grove?  (Read 2219 times)

Scotthomestead

• Avon Park, Fl, 9b
    • View Profile
Which livestock for mango grove?
« on: January 11, 2021, 11:26:30 AM »
Instead of mowing the 10” of Bahia grass in my small grove, I decided to let the horse graze it. She did an awesome job (the manure went to compost) and never tried to eat any trees.The problem was she broke too many branches. This got me thinking of a better way to manage weeds and grass. If the big hose worked then a small pony should be able to do the same job without breaking as many branches but they require too much upkeep. I’m thinking sheep might be a good option but I’m not sure if they will eat mango trees (plus they taste good). Does anyone have any experience with sheep and mango trees? Or another livestock option?

Galatians522

• Florida 9b
    • View Profile
Re: Which livestock for mango grove?
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2021, 09:04:18 PM »
I don't know if sheep would eat mango trees, but goats will browse almost any shrub or tree and would probably destroy the trees. I talked to an older man on Arbuckle Rd (off of 64) who used to have sheep and he told me that sheep are a lot harder to keep alive on our climate compared to goats, though. He said that "hair sheep" seemed to be the best adapted. If I remember correctly, they shed their hair as it grows instead of growing a thick fleece that has to be trimmed all the time to prevent heat stroke. If you are considering sheep I would read up on them and some of the breeds that are adapted to our climate. One other idea would be to use a mobile electric fence to keep the animals grazing where you wanted them. It works surprisingly well from what I have seen.

Scotthomestead

• Avon Park, Fl, 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2021, 04:24:10 PM »
Thanks for response. I live out that way too. Goats are definitely out but I think I’m going to start researching breeds of sheep that do well here. I already do rotatational grazing with with electric fence so maybe they will fit right in even if I can’t run them through the grove.

RodneyS

• Cerritos, CA (Zone 11a)
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2021, 04:25:28 PM »
What about alpacas or llamas?

fliptop

• SWFL10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2021, 07:40:19 PM »
I've read geese eat grass. I'd actually like to get a couple because I think they're neat. They can be loud, from what I hear.

Galatians522

• Florida 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2021, 08:35:54 PM »
I've read geese eat grass. I'd actually like to get a couple because I think they're neat. They can be loud, from what I hear.

We had geese when I was a kid, and they do eat some grass and weeds. You would need to have them penned in a fairly small area to notice much of an impact. We had a mobile fence that we moved around for them when we wanted them to eat a particular area down. They are a bit loud when they get honking, and on occasion you get one that is aggressive.  I actually had one bite me on the nose and draw blood once. They are also very intelegent as birds go and we eventually trained them to come back to the pen when I rattled the lid on the metal food can--it was quite entertaining to watch them come half running and flying from where ever they had roamed to (this was when they were not in the pen). The eggs are huge but very strongly flavored--not a plesent memory.

bovine421

• Shake Rag Rd Fl 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2021, 09:40:32 AM »
Horses and sheep eat the grass all the way down to the roots cattle use their tongue to pull the grass. Have you ever seen someone with 2 and 1/2 acres of green grass decide to buy a horse the next summer it looks like the beach. And you can count the ribs on the horse. Get a couple of calves when they get to be feedlot size sell them and get some more. Did you ever watch the episode of Gunsmoke were Festus had to rescue the Sheep herder from the Cattleman. :)

Ps you might want to get a breed that is a little milder than Brahma because they'll eat bark off of pine tree.

https://livestockconservancy.org/index.php/heritage/internal/dexter#:~:text=Dexter%20cattle%20are%20among%20the,Ireland%20during%20the%20early%201800s.

https://livestockconservancy.org/index.php/heritage/internal/florida-cracker-cattle
« Last Edit: January 13, 2021, 10:31:17 AM by bovine421 »
Tete Nene Julie Juliet Carrie Ice Cream Coconut Cream Little Gem  Dot  Mallika PPK  OS  Pina Colada Cotton Candy Buxton Spice Karen Michelle M-4 Beverly Marc Anthony White Pirie Lychee Cherilata Plantain Barbados Cherry

Scotthomestead

• Avon Park, Fl, 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2021, 12:10:10 PM »
I tried (briefly) to let my dairy cow graze it but she went straight to the bananas and tore them up and broke a few mango branches on the way so she’s banned

bovine421

• Shake Rag Rd Fl 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2021, 01:41:51 PM »
I tried (briefly) to let my dairy cow graze it but she went straight to the bananas and tore them up and broke a few mango branches on the way so she’s banned
Now that's funny! Did it change the flavor of her milk?

« Last Edit: January 14, 2021, 01:43:42 PM by bovine421 »
Tete Nene Julie Juliet Carrie Ice Cream Coconut Cream Little Gem  Dot  Mallika PPK  OS  Pina Colada Cotton Candy Buxton Spice Karen Michelle M-4 Beverly Marc Anthony White Pirie Lychee Cherilata Plantain Barbados Cherry

Mike T

• Zone 12a
  • Cairns,Nth Qld, Australia
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2021, 05:11:29 PM »
I would go for geese, Muscovy ducks and meat sheep. A beef calf might be worth adding to the mix.

Galatians522

• Florida 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 14, 2021, 11:14:59 PM »

Cows love banana and sugarcane tops and are used a supplementary feed in a lot of tropical countries. A Jamacian friend told me that they used to chop up the banana stalk after harvesting the bunch and feed it to their cows. Apparently elephants like them too... If you happen to have one of those on your homestead.   :D :o

bovine421

• Shake Rag Rd Fl 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 15, 2021, 10:06:06 AM »

Just to be sociable because this is not a paid professional Academia commercial forum. This morning by dumb luck I am out in Narcoossee  This lady use to raise the small miniature cows. I don't know if that is one of them but if I see her I will ask.

Do not see much grass growing on the other side of the road

By dumb luck this is actually one of those miniature cow breeds

Word of advice if you're going to take a nice walk in the country carry a big stick. Looked down one of those chow chow dogs was standing next to me. Kind of hard not to show fear :o

And the cellular is very poor.Help help Deputy dog the Chow Chow latch onto one of my backside twins.lol

This area of Narcoossee is where they used to raise buffalo. Did not find one but back in the day you use to be able to go to Charlie's feed store and get a buffalo sandwich. The Old Sugar belt railroad turntable is still behind the feed store.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2021, 10:42:02 AM by bovine421 »

pineislander

• Bokeelia, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 15, 2021, 07:31:00 PM »
One problem and possibly the reason you don't see much sheep in Florida is that they are prone to foot rot on wet ground. They like more stony ground and if it's soft you will have to trim hooves. I kept hair sheep and they are a good meat breed you can get lambs in spring and harvest in winter. They will definitely need a dry place to rest and get out of rain.
Cows will eat mango fruit but not sure if just windfalls or if they will take from a tree far as they can reach.

bovine421

• Shake Rag Rd Fl 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 15, 2021, 08:00:40 PM »
One problem and possibly the reason you don't see much sheep in Florida is that they are prone to foot rot on wet ground. They like more stony ground and if it's soft you will have to trim hooves. I kept hair sheep and they are a good meat breed you can get lambs in spring and harvest in winter. They will definitely need a dry place to rest and get out of rain.
Cows will eat mango fruit but not sure if just windfalls or if they will take from a tree far as they can reach.

It was not me it was the squirrel

Guanabanus

• SE Palm Beach County, East of I-95, Elevation 18'
    • USA, Florida, Boynton Beach, 33435, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 15, 2021, 08:35:55 PM »
If you sell fruit commercially, you may want to check out the food safety regulations that were implemented a couple of years ago, to see details about livestock in groves.  I have never gotten up to speed on any of that.  I hear that no fruit should touch the ground....
Har

EddieF

• s.e. florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 15, 2021, 09:40:51 PM »
I had a dog.  My sister had a dog.  We were kids.  They didn't eat grass.  I mowed the lawn.  Done :)

My aunt & uncle had sheep, cows, shoot a cow, have big freezer ready.

bovine421

• Shake Rag Rd Fl 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 15, 2021, 10:07:32 PM »
I had a dog.  My sister had a dog.  We were kids.  They didn't eat grass.  I mowed the lawn.  Done :)

My aunt & uncle had sheep, cows, shoot a cow, have big freezer ready.
The freezer is a good place for a cow but the grill is even better.
I did hear a tale of a mango eating dog down in Delray Beach  :)
« Last Edit: January 15, 2021, 10:29:28 PM by bovine421 »

Scotthomestead

• Avon Park, Fl, 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 16, 2021, 12:49:48 PM »
Guanabanus, thank you I’ll look into that.

buddy roo

• Spring Valley, Ca.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 16, 2021, 01:25:01 PM »
someone was just speaking of this in another group  saying no animals or fresh manure 120 days before harvest. he is a commercial berry grower and also teaches classes and consults on this , I can send contact info if wanted

EddieF

• s.e. florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 16, 2021, 01:42:18 PM »
I shouldn't post after the sun goes down.

Yes good points made about rules & regs.
Reason why my aunt & uncle slaughtered a cow now & then was to have farm status when Uncle Sam comes to collect.  Upside was as i said- whole lot of beef for big family.
Me, i watched them take it down & hopped back on YZ80 :)

Aaron

• SWFL
    • View Profile
    • http://nofogroves.com/
« Reply #20 on: January 16, 2021, 02:40:19 PM »
Ive seen cows and sheep.

johnb51

• USA Deerfield Beach, FL Zone 11a
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 16, 2021, 11:37:04 PM »

It was not me it was the squirrel
;D  ;D  ;D
John

bovine421

• Shake Rag Rd Fl 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 25, 2021, 09:14:42 AM »

This is a good example of the Florida Cracker cow I'm only 2 miles from the courthouse. Some people lived in the country then woke up one day and now they're big city.
These cattle look grove friendly to me but what do I know ???
« Last Edit: January 25, 2021, 09:37:02 AM by bovine421 »

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk