Author Topic: Australian Finger Lime  (Read 11937 times)

Tim

• Global Moderator
    • USA, Escondido, CA 92027, zone 9b
    • View Profile
Australian Finger Lime
« on: February 02, 2012, 12:56:33 AM »
Four Winds Growers currently has them in stock if anyone is interested.  There were inquiries several months back on GW, not sure if you've been able to locate it, but here's your chance.
Tim

BMc

• Brisbane, Queensland, Australia
    • View Profile
Re: Australian Finger Lime
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2012, 01:21:26 AM »
Try to get seeds of the var. sanguinea. They are usually better fruit, less musky and often edible out of hand, skin included. They are red fleshed, so much more striking also.

Fruitguy

• Zone 10b - Miami, FL
    • United States, Miami,Florida Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2012, 09:23:52 AM »
It appears that Four Winds does not ship to Florida.  Does anyone have any sources that Floridians may be able to utilize?  (Or seeds, budwood, etc.?)

nullzero

• Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2012, 02:11:26 PM »
It appears that Four Winds does not ship to Florida.  Does anyone have any sources that Floridians may be able to utilize?  (Or seeds, budwood, etc.?)

I can give you some seeds if mine decides to fruit this year. I bought Australian finger lime a few years back from them. Four Winds, its an excellent citrus grower (sad to hear you can't order :(, I know how it feels with mangoes). I am planning to order a Yuzu and Kaffir lime sometime this year.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2012, 02:14:41 PM by nullzero »
Grow mainly fruits, vegetables, and herbs.

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2012, 05:01:20 PM »

Logee's sells them. I ordered some from them and got some nice plants. I bet they will ship to Florida.
Oscar
Oscar

zands

• mango_zango
    • Zone 10b, Florida, USA, 33321
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2012, 05:06:37 PM »

I can give you some seeds if mine decides to fruit this year. I bought Australian finger lime a few years back from them. Four Winds, its an excellent citrus grower (sad to hear you can't order :(, I know how it feels with mangoes). I am planning to order a Yuzu and Kaffir lime sometime this year.

Later in the summer should have ...I just communicated w them
You can email them now but they are on a soft hiatus so prefer no phone calls

Nate and Anna Jameson
Brite Leaf Citrus Nursery, LLC
480 CR 416 South
Lake Panasoffkee, FL 33538

352-793-6861 office
352-793-3674 fax

www.briteleaf.com

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2012, 07:03:41 PM »

Logee's sells them. I ordered some from them and got some nice plants. I bet they will ship to Florida.
Oscar
I could be wrong but I don't believe Florida allows citrus to be shipped in from out of state.
- Rob

sultry_jasmine_nights

• NE Florida Zone 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2012, 07:37:36 PM »
Logees won't ship citrus to FL, unfortunately.  I had a Australian Finger Lime that I had to leave with my mom when we moved to Florida. It was a very nice larger tree that I had purchased from Four Winds. It had the green finger limes on it. They were pretty tasty and had small seeds. The fruit flesh was like little balls of lime inside the fruit peel.  Remember, when you get yours that they do not like a lot of direct sun. They are under story plants in their native enviornment.  A friend and I got ours together and after acclimating them to our yards, we had originally had tried to grow them in full sun and they didn't like it once I moved them into morning sun with dappled afternoon sunlight they did great and started blooming.  I would love to find another one. I believe the one I has was grafted onto flying dragon rootstock.
Growing edible and ornamental tropicals and subtropicals and many night bloomers on 4 acres in zone 9a. Learning to live a more self sustainable lifestyle with chickens and other livestock.

nullzero

• Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2012, 07:44:48 PM »
Australian Finger Lime has small leaves, very different growth from the other citrus I grow. This is from last summer.

sultry_jasmine_nights

• NE Florida Zone 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2012, 07:55:20 PM »
Here's one of mine when it was smaller. It had a tiny fruit forming on it. Yes they do have tiny leaves and weird little branches. I will have to look on my old computer for some better photos.

This is a pic of one of the immature fruits that fell off. It is too small but shows how the little tiny balls look inside the fruit. This pic was edited to make smaller and all I have on my photobucket page. I will try and look on my old puter for a larger photo.
Growing edible and ornamental tropicals and subtropicals and many night bloomers on 4 acres in zone 9a. Learning to live a more self sustainable lifestyle with chickens and other livestock.

BMc

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 02, 2012, 09:14:54 PM »

This is one I used to grow. Grafted tree in ground 2-3years. It was a 'green' and full of oil. I now have two far superior varieties plus a few hybrids. It is native to forests around this area and can grow into quite a decent little upright tree.

nullzero

• Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 02, 2012, 09:33:46 PM »

This is one I used to grow. Grafted tree in ground 2-3years. It was a 'green' and full of oil. I now have two far superior varieties plus a few hybrids. It is native to forests around this area and can grow into quite a decent little upright tree.

BMc,

Very cool pictures, wish I had a tree producing like that! :)

Fruitguy

• Zone 10b - Miami, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 02, 2012, 10:22:35 PM »
@sultry_jasmine_nights - very neat looking pics.  You are correct re Logees.  There website specifically excludes Florida, among other states that they cannot ship to.

@BMc - very cool looking pics.  Do you have a source that will ship inside Australia? Your improved varieties are very intriguing. :)

@Zands - thanks for the lead, I'll follow up with them.

@Nullzero - appreciate the offer.  I'll check back with you later!  :)

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 02, 2012, 10:27:27 PM »
If anybody does locate finger limes available in Florida, please drop me a email/message...thanks.
- Rob

edself65

« Reply #14 on: February 02, 2012, 10:56:37 PM »
Just Fruits and Exotics in Crawfordville, FL close to Tallahassee use to sell them years ago. I am not sure if they still sale them or not. I did not see them listed on their webpage but they usually don't list everything they sale. You may want to give them a call and ask:

http://www.justfruitsandexotics.com/Citrus.htm

Thanks,

Ed

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #15 on: February 03, 2012, 12:13:48 AM »
Logees won't ship citrus to FL, unfortunately.  I had a Australian Finger Lime that I had to leave with my mom when we moved to Florida. It was a very nice larger tree that I had purchased from Four Winds. It had the green finger limes on it. They were pretty tasty and had small seeds. The fruit flesh was like little balls of lime inside the fruit peel.  Remember, when you get yours that they do not like a lot of direct sun. They are under story plants in their native enviornment.  A friend and I got ours together and after acclimating them to our yards, we had originally had tried to grow them in full sun and they didn't like it once I moved them into morning sun with dappled afternoon sunlight they did great and started blooming.  I would love to find another one. I believe the one I has was grafted onto flying dragon rootstock.

That might be why mine aren't doing so well. Planted 2 in full sun and one died and the other is struggling. Thanks for the tip.
Oscar
Oscar

nullzero

• Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 03, 2012, 12:46:17 AM »
Australian Finger lime performs well in the winter time with 8 hours of direct sunlight. I place it near the Pomegranate trees, which leaf out nicely during the summer time ( providing partial canopy shade). Its pretty undemanding after those are met, I get occasional yellowing  of leaves due to high ph water (think its lack of iron).

sultry_jasmine_nights

• NE Florida Zone 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 03, 2012, 11:06:18 AM »
If anybody does locate finger limes available in Florida, please drop me a email/message...thanks.
x2 !! I would like to find another one too. I swear I saw them for sale somewhere when I first moved to FL and was getting settled in still but then when I went to look at the website again they were gone. I bet it was the just fruits and exotics website! 

BMc I love your photos. Maybe you can share some tips on growing the Fingerlime. Were yours under story plants (grown under taller trees?)
Were they in full sun or part shade, what about fertilizer routine etc. ? Yours really had a lot more and larger fruit than mine ever got. Mine was the 2-3yr old tree when I first ordered it. What are your thoughts on humidity with this tree? I got the feeling that they preferred the drier weather as opposed to when there was a lot more humidty.....What is your climate like?
« Last Edit: February 03, 2012, 11:09:09 AM by sultry_jasmine_nights »

Saltcayman

• Zone 13b TCI
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 03, 2012, 10:36:35 PM »
I bought a green finger lime from larry's orchids and tropicals on eBay. It was a very nice plant and inexpensive. They are in Michigan. Not sure if they ship to Florida.

BMc

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 04, 2012, 05:55:53 AM »
Thanks jasmine nights, I'm in Brisbane, so I assume similar climate to somewhere in south Florida. Humid sub-tropics.
mine seemed to like infrequent, deep watering, which mirrors the storms we get here. Feeding was organic and the schedule was the same as with my other citrus, just lighter.
Some trees suffer from branch die-back when it is too wet, but otherwise it is usually pretty tough. There seem to be a number of different growth habits - mine grew very long branches that grew quickly and drooped, requiring tying together and staking to keep the barbs out of the way. Many are much slower and more dense. Position was full sun on a northern slope. There is a weedy golden penda in the photo that grew over the plant at times, but didnt block much sun. Again, some plants like full sun, others like deep shade.
Sorry I cant be of too much help, but I hope to visit a finger lime farm in a few weeks and can pass on a few tips.

Fruitguy

• Zone 10b - Miami, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 04, 2012, 10:19:48 AM »
Do you have the contact information (phone, email, and/or website) for where you got your fingerlimes in Australia?  I'd like to get a few of the better ones and send them to some friends in NSW.

Thanks!

BENDERSGROVE

• BENDER'S TROPICAL GROVE
    • USA, Davie, FL 33331, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
    • BENDERSGROVE
« Reply #21 on: February 04, 2012, 02:44:19 PM »
G.S.I. In Homestead has them 305-248-1924

BMc

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 04, 2012, 05:17:20 PM »
Fruitguy, this online nursery is the easiest way to order decent varieties for your friends in NSW. Collette and Ricks Red are two I would recommend.
http://www.daleysfruit.com.au/bushfood/fingerlime.htm

Fruitguy

• Zone 10b - Miami, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 04, 2012, 07:44:21 PM »
BMc, thanks for the link AND the recommendations!   :)

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
  • www.FlyingFoxFruits.com
    • USA, FEMA Region IV, FL Zone 9a
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
« Reply #24 on: February 06, 2012, 01:36:18 AM »

Love the Pics!!!
Do you grow them in 50% shade??
 they seem to appreciate this!

Any tips??? fertilizer? soil ph, or type?

Water requirements?

Thanks!
www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

https://www.ebay.com/usr/flyingfoxfruits

www.youtube.com/FlyingFoxFruits

https://www.instagram.com/flyingfoxfruits/
I disabled the forum's personal messaging system, please send an email to contact me, FlyingFoxFruits@gmail.com