Author Topic: tons of pics of my fruit trees in bloom  (Read 6520 times)

lycheeluva

• Brooklyn, NY
  • obsessed with fruit growing, especially lychees
    • View Profile
tons of pics of my fruit trees in bloom
« on: May 03, 2013, 03:16:53 PM »
these first few pics are of "orangered" apricot. this was grafted onto a non-productive peach tree and it took off. this graft is only 3 years old and should produce about 30 apricots this year.

here is shot of the tree. the pink blossoms to the left are a peach graft added to the tree a couple of years ago. if you look carefully bang in the center of the picture, you can see a couple of white blooms which are plum. he rest of teh greenery is apricot. none of the original peach tree was left except for the trunk.

this a cox orange pippin apple tree- unfortunately it has bloomed very lightly this year- although i get about 15-20 fruit every year from the tree, it has never thrived. not sure why- though i think it gets the least sunlight of all my trees which may explain it. if you look carefully to the right of the pic, you can see a green ribbon which denotes a graft and you can see the graft is blooming.

this is a mystery lychee airlayer made by harry. unfortunately it got badly sunburnt when i took it out of the garage. it has produced a few fruit which can be seen in the next pic.

here are quite a few pics of my golden russet multi-graft apple tree because the blossoms are so breath taking.

and here is a pic looking back at the tree from the back of the yard.

this is a hardy kiwi growing uo a pergola followed by a bunch of blooms just about to open. the foliage is also stunning and the leave sturn shades of pink and white. you can just see the color change starting to happen in the next pic.

one of my mutli graft cherry trees starting to form little cherries

delicious pink gooseberry patch

this was a nectarine tree but i removed one of the 2 main trunks and added a peach graft. so now the right trunk is nectarine and the left trunk is peach. this is another graft that took off like a rocket. the graft is about 3-4 years old - i will likely get about 50 peaches from the graft this year.

petite negron fig showing little figlets forming for the first of the 2 crops. the major crop is formed in the summer.

looking nice a nice muscat grape crop this year. excellent fragrant sweet grape but i have a hard time keeping the bees out when the grapes ripen and once the bees get in, it causes a tremendous amount of rot to set in. i lose about 70% of the crop to the bees/rot.

a grape bloom about to open

this is a nectacrest nectarine that I added a plum too. thats why you can see pink and white blossoms on the same tree.

littlegrower

• USA, Michigan, 5b
    • View Profile
Re: tons of pics of my fruit trees in bloom
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2013, 03:32:03 PM »
 Thanks for treating us with all the pics!  :) A lychee tree...with fruit..outside..in New York.....I say good sir BRAVO BRAVO- You have your own Garden of Eden! Are your neighbors aware of what's growing on?   ;D
Nikki

nullzero

• Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2013, 03:54:53 PM »
Love the pictures, everything is looking very nice. Love gooseberries, wish I could get them to reliably fruit where I am at :(. Have you thought about top working the grape to something more rot resistant?
Grow mainly fruits, vegetables, and herbs.

lycheeluva

• Brooklyn, NY
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2013, 04:06:29 PM »
Hey Null- I would love to top-work the grape, not just to add rot resistance but  also to add some additional varieties,  but I have tried a couple of times to graft grapes without success. have you successfully grafted grapes before?

Ethan

• Central California Z9/9
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2013, 04:58:58 PM »
Wow LL, the trees are looking great, tons of blooms.  On a side note, that is some gorgeous brick work.

good luck,
-Ethan

BTW, most people complain about not having bees. :)

FRUITBOXHERO

• Coral Springs Fl
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2013, 05:04:37 PM »
Wow Awesome! Where in N.Y are you? I'm coming up that way soon and might have to stop by your house for some fruit.....lol
Joe

lycheeluva

• Brooklyn, NY
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2013, 05:22:17 PM »
Im in brooklyn. First fruits to ripen are cherries and apricots at very end of June

fruitnewbie

• USA, HI, Wahiawa, 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2013, 01:11:15 AM »
Apple blossoms are so pretty! Thanks for sharing! ;D

puglvr1

• USA, Central, FL xxxxx, Zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2013, 10:25:12 AM »
Great Pictures LL!! Congrats on your blooms and fruits...glad spring finally arrived in NY!! Enjoy...

Mark in Texas

• Fredericksburg Texas, (central TX), zone 8a
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 04, 2013, 10:35:29 AM »
Nice!  Lychee, who'd thunk it.  Being in a pot I assume that is taken indoors come fall.

Mark

ScottR

• USA,Arroyo Grande,Calif. 93420,zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 04, 2013, 11:36:00 AM »
Beautiful pic's of your trees and love the Lychee in New york no less, I'd say that's pushing the growing for those guy's! ;) 8)Thanks for posting :)

HMHausman

• Mod Emeritus
    • USA, Fort Lauderdale, Broward County, Florida, Zone 10B
    • View Profile
    • Pines Ticket Defense, LLC
« Reply #11 on: May 04, 2013, 04:42:00 PM »
Gorgeous trees. Great pictures.  If I could grow all that in my backyard, I almost wouldn't mind living in Brooklyn.  Well.....I said almost.  Thanks for posting.  I enjoyed the temperate fruit tree extravaganza!
Harry
Fort Lauderdale, FL 
USA

edzone9

• Zone 10 SW Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 04, 2013, 09:34:32 PM »
Amazing that you could grow all that In Brooklyn Ny ! ... I Misss WilliamsBurg Brooklyn ! Cant wait to go back !...

Ed..
Zone 10

lycheeluva

• Brooklyn, NY
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 04, 2013, 09:46:22 PM »
Thanks for the all the kind words. Ed, just say the word and I'll swap my brooklyn stamp sized garden for your slice of florida heaven.
and while growing termperate fruit is great, i'd swap it in a second to be able to grow luscious lychees and juicy mangoes

edzone9

• Zone 10 SW Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 04, 2013, 10:06:32 PM »
Sell Your House in Brooklyn & Come on down ! you will have enuff Dead presidents to buy 5 Florida homes with good size property ;).

NYC Real-estate is still prime ! What section of brooklyn do you live ? i lived in brooklyn for 44 years , i been in florida 1 year .
Zone 10

lycheeluva

• Brooklyn, NY
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 04, 2013, 10:14:38 PM »
all our firends family and work are here- we cant just up and leave- but if business goes well, i hope to buy a property in florida one day.
i live near flatbush- its called midwood

edzone9

• Zone 10 SW Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 04, 2013, 10:26:09 PM »
I Know that area very well  i worked inspecting various NYCHA Buildings in that area ! ...  I Hear ya ,, i have lots of family and friends back in Brooklyn/Staten Island , My Job relocated me here in FL .. so far so good ;).

Miss the NYC Vibe , Food & People !
Dont miss the winter , high cost living though ..

Ed.. good look with your business !.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2013, 10:28:40 PM by edzone9 »
Zone 10

lycheeluva

• Brooklyn, NY
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 04, 2013, 10:40:46 PM »
ed- if u ever want me to ship anything new york to you in FL, just shoot me a PM and ill be happy to do so

edzone9

• Zone 10 SW Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 04, 2013, 10:52:54 PM »
Thank You !
Zone 10

nullzero

• Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 05, 2013, 01:37:28 AM »
Hey Null- I would love to top-work the grape, not just to add rot resistance but  also to add some additional varieties,  but I have tried a couple of times to graft grapes without success. have you successfully grafted grapes before?

I have not tried grafting grapes yet, only read documentation and viewed pictures. Keep me posted if you intend to try it out.
Grow mainly fruits, vegetables, and herbs.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk