Author Topic: Young Reed - leave the fruit or drop them?  (Read 1930 times)

Mark in Texas

• Fredericksburg Texas, (central TX), zone 8a
    • View Profile
Young Reed - leave the fruit or drop them?
« on: May 04, 2013, 10:11:44 AM »
March 2012, I grafted Reed to a 6 month old Florida seedling that I started from seed and it has set quite a few fruits.  Veneer graft is super strong and thick.  Per the grower "norm", I'm inclined to pull all fruit to let the "energy" go into roots and foliage but to me that decision depends on plant health, foliage/root mass, and vigor.   Except for the impending summer heat which starts soon and lasts until September, my greenhouse avocados have the best of conditions.  IOW, they're not stressed and have a robust root system thanks to the custom backfill and RootBuilder pots.  New foliage output has just begun after spring foliage drop.

Input appreciated!   And as an aside, if you need info on the merits of root-tip termination/training, I'm your man.   ;)

Thanks,
Mark

BestDay

• Long Beach, CA 10B 22
    • View Profile
Re: Young Reed - leave the fruit or drop them?
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2013, 10:49:43 AM »
Nice looking plant.  Those Reed Avocados are my favorite.  We can buy them here during the summer and they are locally grown.  The best tasting avocado in my opinion.

Bill

Mark in Texas

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2013, 11:08:15 AM »
Thanks, considering I grafted that plant last year on pencil sized rootstock, never before having done veneer and cleft grafts....I'm damn proud of it.  The trunk is about 1" girth and the graft is so solid I can't see it anymore.

I agree, it's hard to beat a Reed for size, taste, and texture.  I mail order them SoCal farms but they're hard to find and when you do find them, they're very pricey!  If you have any sources for Reed fruit I'd love to have them.

BestDay

• Long Beach, CA 10B 22
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2013, 01:04:19 PM »
The reeds I get during the summer are from the local farmers market.  The seller grows them himself locally.  Large size as usual and $2 each.  I just planted a Hass avocado tree in my back yard.  I really wanted a Reed but it season here is only about 2-3 months.  The Hass is 10-12 months a year!  I went with the Hass so I can always just go pick a couple avocados when I need them.

Bill

JF

• North OC California Zone 10B/America Tropical 13A
    • 90631/97000
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2013, 01:14:36 PM »
Mark, great looking tree and great job on your graft. I have notice that Reed do not do very well with extreme hot weather. Mine nearly passed three years ago when we hit 119F. We've hit 100F the last two days and my new growth was burned on the other hand my Sir Prize, Holiday and Pinkerton did not blink.

Mark in Texas

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2013, 10:55:22 PM »
Mark, great looking tree and great job on your graft. I have notice that Reed do not do very well with extreme hot weather. Mine nearly passed three years ago when we hit 119F. We've hit 100F the last two days and my new growth was burned on the other hand my Sir Prize, Holiday and Pinkerton did not blink.

Being pure Guatemalan, I can see why a Reed would stress out with such high temps.  All dependent on other factors too like root mass and health, RH. 

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk